Mophie Launching iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR Juice Pack Battery Cases in Early 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mophie, a popular Apple-certified accessory maker, has today announced that all-new Juice Pack Access battery cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR will be available in the first quarter of 2019.

[​IMG]

The juice packs extend the battery life of the iPhone XS by up to 25 hours, and the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR by up to 31 hours, according to Mophie. The cases can be charged with an included USB-C cable or wirelessly on any Qi-certified mat. With pass-through charging, the iPhone charges first, then the case.

The cases have battery capacities of 2,000 mAh for the iPhone XS, 2,200 mAh for the iPhone XS Max, and 2,000 mAh for the iPhone XR. Four LEDs on the back of each case indicate the charged level of the battery pack.

Each case features an impact-resistant polycarbonate exterior with a soft-touch finish, while raised corners provide added protection against scratching and cracking the display. The open-bottom design provides full access to the Lightning connector on each iPhone for normal use of headphones and other accessories.

Mophie says built-in protection circuitry prevents overcharging and overheating, and each juice pack is very likely certified by Apple under its Made for iPhone program, but we're reaching out to the company for confirmation.

The new Juice Pack Access cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR will each retail for $119.95 in the United States on Mophie's website, where customers can sign up to be notified when orders begin. The cases will be available in a variety of colors, including black, gold, navy, and red.

Mophie is showcasing the new Juice Pack Access lineup at CES 2019 in Las Vegas. The iPhone XS version is also compatible with the iPhone X.

Apple is rumored to debut an iPhone XS Smart Battery Case, but has yet to do so.

Article Link: Mophie Launching iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR Juice Pack Battery Cases in Early 2019

2. dsampley macrumors 6502

dsampley

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Joe, don't ******** us; if there's one thing I've learned from Apple, it's that you can't make a battery case without a bulge that would make even the most well-endowed individual blush. :p

4. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

They better get a move on it! At $120, and new iPhones will be around the corner soon...

5. thasan macrumors 65816

How would this work to keep the phone running?? the renders show nothing at the bottom of the phone...

edit: saw it. wirelessly. but isnt the efficiency really bad?

6. zahuh macrumors regular

Well done! Battery and wireless charging! And works with the X! Thank you! I hope apple does the same thing with their smart battery case.

7. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

Yeesh, those look huge. How about a slimmer option for those of us who could get by with half that battery life...

8. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if MFi certified battery cases like this one keep the phone in "mobile" mode when charging? ie it charges the phone but doesn't trigger the "plugged in and on wifi" actions?

I do like that this charges via usb C. The iPhone is the last device I have that needs lightning.

9. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Not if they use the first alternate current batteries ;)

10. JWiLL1988 macrumors member

Their battery packs are always huge

11. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

"Make it thicker, we don't care about thickness, we want more battery life!"

"Make it slimmer, I actually want only half of this extra battery life, I do care about thickness"

:rolleyes::D

12. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

I must have missed the news. When did Apple buy Mophie?

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Says here:
    Customers have an option to charger wired or wirelessly.

14. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

All that bulk and you can't even protect the bottom. No thanks, I'll wait on Moment for their updated Camera Battery Case for the XS.

15. ruthlessjoachim macrumors newbie

ruthlessjoachim

I had one on Amazon for $30 and is working well!

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I was joking that based on the cases Apple has designed, it'd be impossible for any company to produce a case that doesn't have an awkward welt.

17. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

18. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

MacRumors: Any 5K displays announced at CES that actually work with the new iPad Pros?

19. thasan macrumors 65816

Thats the charging. I am talking about what happens if we walk around with this... if we do wireless charging, it will have very poor efficiency. if we do through lighting, the port is blocked which is not shown in the render.

20. manu chao macrumors 603

First Google result says 75-80% efficiency. Add battery charging and discharging inefficiencies and a 2000 mAh external battery might provide only as much power as a 1400 mAh internal battery (ie, assuming combined efficiency of 70%). But it is possible that the very precise alignment between the Qi charging coils in the iPhone and the battery pack can achieve a higher efficiency.

Of course, in terms of total energy consumption, doing two Qi charging steps plus another battery discharge and charge cycle (for the power drawn from the battery pack), might mean you draw up to twice as much electricity from your wall compared to charging the phone via the Lightning port.

But the extra battery charging cycle might not there if the phone is using the power from the battery pack essentially only to power the phone, not to charge the battery.

21. ChromeCloud macrumors member

Looks good, but I'd rather have a case with lightning connector.

Wireless charging is convenient at home, but its drawbacks (low efficiency, low energy output and increased heat) don't combine well with this product category.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

You took the words right off my keyboard!

23. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

I’ll wait and see what Apple comes up with and probably get whatever is the thinnest

24. macguru212 macrumors 6502

macguru212

If today's iPhones were as thick/big as cell phones from 20 years ago, battery life would be measured in weeks. :p

25. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay