Mophie Launching iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR Juice Pack Battery Cases in Early 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. nicho macrumors 68020

Important to note that they don't actually claim this. Remove the word "by" from both sentences and you'd be correct. Less impressive, but better than being wrong.

2. citysnaps macrumors 601

That's a deal-killer for me.

3. Combi06 macrumors newbie

Combi06

This! I reached out to their support team a few weeks back and the rep said that they are waiting on Apple to begin accepting MFI certification for the XS (besides a minor design tweak as the camera protrudes a little more on the XS and so it affects the lens slightly when mounted). According to MR they have yet to confirm that these Mophie juice packs are indeed MFI certified but if they are then the ball is in Moment's court now! Can't wait!

4. Ballis macrumors 6502a

5. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'm not sure what type of scenario you're describing. If you're walking around, why would you need charging with the iPhone battery + the Mophie battery? That's days of reserve. Even if you needed to charge, and didn't want to charge via Qi, simply charge through USB-C. No need for lightning. What's the concern regarding the Qi efficiency? You have USB-C as an option.

6. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

I’d jump on one if they had it in silver/white.

7. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

How is the Lightning port blocked? Looks completely exposed to me.

8. thasan macrumors 6502a

ah, i was thinking it more like an "extension" of battery.

9. jdugan4859 macrumors newbie

I hope this will be compatible with their Charge Force stuff. I really like my Charge Force in my car, its one of the main reasons I have stuck with the 7+.

10. randyhudson macrumors regular

My XR lasts two days (one night), without any trouble. And it’s already too large with a plain case on it

11. Oldfash33 macrumors regular

Oldfash33

Hahaha LOL

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

iPhone battery cases because Apple refuses to listen to those of us who want long battery life rather than ultra-slim phones that bend...

13. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I wouldn't be nearly as gung-ho over it if I hadn't gotten it for my girlfriend for her X for christmas. It's seriously a good case, specifically for when you go shooting. Hell, their regular case has become my daily case most of the time now, lol.

Plus, the Moment Battery case touts all of the features the Mophie does, including wireless charging (but lets be realistic, you aren't gonna be able to charge both over night, lol), AND THE BOTTOM IS COVERED. With a pass-through Lightning port, no less.

14. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

You can barely charge half of the Max and the case is already so thick...

15. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Would not be needed if Apple made a properly designed iPhone.

16. Abacab macrumors member

Abacab

I have bought one since the I-phone 3 all the way to the 6s thinking and hoping the would get better.
    Everyone failed in less than a year not to mention did little to protect the phone when dropped.
    (I'm well aware they make no claims to protect the phone and did not abuse either)
    Not to mention having to charge with different cord.

I was given a 25.00 case two years ago made in China, it had a lightning connector to charge and a kick stand to balance the case .
    100.00 is a high price for a battery/case that has no life cycle or durability what so ever.

17. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

Why put a case on such a gorgeous phone? Nude is the way to go.

18. ZipZap macrumors 603

Why does anyone need this?

I find it hard to believe people cant find opportunities to charge during the day. Or carry a separate battery so at least you dont have this bulky thing in your pocket.

19. DJMarty macrumors newbie

DJMarty

no thanks mophie. I wait for the Apple on that has a lightning port so I dont have to buy another cable or a new MacBook.

20. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

Kind of "continuous wireless charging" - very interesting. We all know, that continuous charging is the best way to get the battery kaputt. But - ok - there seems to be a market for it.

...I would get a decent battery pack and recharge the phone when needed.
    ...3 mm more thickness of the phone itself, we would finally get rid of the bump and say hello to increased battery capacity. But - ok again, I am only a humble user, who does not have a clue.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It isn’t needed

Battery should last all day

22. nexusrule macrumors 6502

Half the battery life is just a little bit more than the current battery life without the case, so what sense would that make? From the iPhone X onwards I doubt there is many people that needs to recharge it before they are ready to go to bed. My iPhone X can easily go 1 day and a half with a charge, the only reason why I charge it at night anyway is because otherwise I would have do it at work and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think the line of thought that Apple should make a thicker iPhone to avoid the camera bump and have more battery doesn't make sense. You end up with a thicker, heavier, more expensive and hotter phone, and why? To have 5-8% more battery life? You will still need to recharge at the same interval of time. You end up making everything else worst to have the same user experience in terms of battery life.

We are at the point where, to make a real difference, the battery should last enough that you need to recharge the phone no more than twice at week, everything else is meaningless.

23. k0bayashi macrumors member

Way too T H I C C C C

24. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Or that they're somehow using their phones more than I use mine, with worse signal. (I'm implying that even under heavy use, the X and XS have lasted all day for me.)

25. tl01 macrumors 68020

Well if Apple doesn't get theirs out first I might have to buy this one!