Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you ask your friend to cover the repair cost?

• Total voters

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
So my drunk mate borrowed my iPhone last night to order an Uber as his phone was dead. He then accidentally dropped it and smashed my screen.

Until this morning, i thought it was just the screen protector that was shattered, so didn't think much of it at the time.

I'm not the type of person who just deals with the shattered screen, as I never drop my phone. Would you pay for it yourself or ask your good mate to cover the cost?

Last edited:

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
If your here having to ask this, im sorry to say he isnt a true friend or he would of made efforts to resolve the problem there and then.
i think my friends would be like "oh sh*t" and then say they'll give me money to get it fixed. but thats just my friends.

I thought it was just the screen protector that was shattered until I woke up this morning

Reactions: npolly0212

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Geez ... suck it up and move along.

No cause without resolution it will pray on his mind and he may continue investing in friendships with people who arent true. What else happens down the line? lends him his car and his crashes it? Gotta be wise who you let in your life and classify as a 'good friend'. Find real friends, and a real friend picks up the pieces when he ****s up. Fact.

But if non of that **** matters then yea for sure 'suck it up' and move on.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If anyone using my phone drops it and shatters the screen, they're paying to get it fixed.

My issue would be someone dropping my phone and the casing just getting a little scratched up. Most people wouldn't care about that, but I'm super anal about cosmetic damage. That's why I hate letting people use my phone.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
So my drunk mate borrowed my iPhone last night to order an Uber as his phone was dead. He then accidentally dropped it and smashed my screen.

Until this morning, i thought it was just the screen protector that was shattered, so didn't think much of it at the time.

I'm not the type of person who just deals with the shattered screen, as I never drop my phone. Would you pay for it yourself or ask your good mate to cover the cost?

Get it fixed and send him the invoice with 30 days to pay. Businesses do it every day that way.

Reactions: npolly0212

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Of course, he should pay for the repair.

Whether he will, is another matter.

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Of course, he should pay for the repair.

Whether he will, is another matter.

Stops being about a screen and levels up to the subject of friendship. A broken phone is potentially the catalyst for bigger problems down the line with 'friendship'

I respect my ****, my phone, my car, my life. So if someone is to have access to these areas they must be trusted. One **** up without resolution means bye bye.
[doublepost=1468719354][/doublepost]
I'd assume the friendship was already terminated. Send an invoice so you have the readies to go to small claims court for non-payment. File a police report if you want additional ammunition.

Id walk away. **** claims court and BS, who has the time? Learn a lesson and move on, life is too short to chase up every little thing, bringin in the police is just overkill. Terminate friendship and find new people, this time using the widsom you gain.

Each to their own tho of course, but for me I dont have time for that ****.

Reactions: akash.nu

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
member: 908230" said:
Id walk away. **** claims court and BS, who has the time? Learn a lesson and move on, life is too short to chase up every little thing, bringin in the police is just overkill. Terminate friendship and find new people, this time using the widsom you gain.

Each to their own tho of course, but for me I dont have time for that ****.

Knowing the legal tools available to you and having a rudimentary knowledge of civil procedure in your jurisdiction go a long way to defusing situations like this. You also help make the defendants better citizens.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Knowing the legal tools available to you and having a rudimentary knowledge of civil procedure in your jurisdiction go a long way to defusing situations like this. You also help make the defendants better citizens.

Got more time than me though. They become better friends by losing a good friend (me) or hopefully the OP, should he be a good friend. For all we know he's just as bad. If i was to follow 'civil procedures' for all this **** id have no time for anything else. Learn a lesson and move on. Id consider a replacement screen cost a bargain compared to any other future problems this 'friend' might cause. Suck it up and move on, life is short.

Your argument is valid but only from the perspective of your life and lifestyle, can respect that, but its not how I'd sort it.
[doublepost=1468720972][/doublepost]
Tone it down would ya' ... we're just talking $200 max.

Starting to sound like Judge Judy/Judge Rinder for the UK people :D

Reactions: AlliFlowers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.