Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to unveil its first 5G-enabled iPhones in September, but some analysts believe that models with support for ultra-fast mmWave technology will likely launch after sub-6GHz models due to production challenges and the global health crisis.

iPhone-12-5G-New-1.jpg

Apple is believed to be designing its own antenna-in-package or "AiP" module for mmWave iPhones, potentially contributing to the staggered rollout.

"Apart from the epidemic, the power consumption of the AiP module may also affect the launch schedule of the mmWave version," analyst Jeff Pu wrote in a research note with Chinese investor firm GF Securities this week, suggesting that Apple's custom antenna-in-package may be more of a drain on battery life than desired.

Likewise, Barclays analysts Blayne Curtis and Thomas O'Malley today said "recent data points" suggest that Apple may not be able to ship mmWave iPhones this year. This lines up with information shared by Susquehanna analyst Mehdi Hosseini, who previously said that mmWave iPhones could launch as late as January 2021.

Prior to the global health crisis, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple was still on track to release both sub-6GHz and sub-6GHz-plus-mmWave iPhone models simultaneously in the second half of 2020, with shipments beginning in the late third quarter or early fourth quarter. Kuo has not indicated whether those plans have since changed.

Kuo said iPhone models with mmWave would be available in five markets, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, adding that Apple may disable 5G functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.

As a refresher, mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that promise ultra-fast speeds at short distances, making it best suited for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas.

Article Link: More Analysts Expect mmWave iPhones to Launch Later Than Sub-6GHz Models

Last edited:

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Don’t really care to be honest. My country still needs to role out LTE nationwide lol and offer unlimited data at reasonable pricing. The whole 10 GB limit for 50 € BS needs to end.

The amount of time I see the edge sign in Germany is just redic.
I mean, I had full LTE in the middle of nowhere in the mountain region of Mexico

Edit: ironically it just took me 3 minutes to send this message because this was shown in the middle of Berlin:

Attachments

• C85FC195-8930-4396-8C0F-24F684CF2826.jpeg
    C85FC195-8930-4396-8C0F-24F684CF2826.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 756
Comment

Rovank

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
"By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas."

Electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light. The speed doesn't change with the frequency, it's the amount of information that can be carried at the higher frequency that makes the difference.

Comment

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
Apple does not care about 5G and that's why it does not have its chip ready by this year. The customers are going to pay more and getting rip-off even do it knew was overpriced.

• Disagree
Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Comment

switz

macrumors member
I can not get a good LTE signal in my home on a consistent basis at the east edge Phoenix (a major city I believe) nor in Bloomington, Indiana where there happens to be a Big Ten university.So the reality is that 5G will not be everywhere for a really long time, like many years. That will require the cell carries to maintain 4G LTE service nationwide. When I travel internationally, 5G might be in a a major city like London, but not in the countryside.

Reactions: SRLMJ23
Comment

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Couldn’t care less, kind of glad I got my 11 Pro so we can see how the first iPhones with 5G turn out.
Carriers are likely to face longer delays rolling it out anyway because of everything going on this year

Reactions: SRLMJ23
Comment

phenste

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Don’t really care to be honest. My country still needs to role out LTE nationwide lol and offer unlimited data at reasonable pricing. The whole 10 GB limit for 50 € BS needs to end.

I mean, I had full LTE in the middle of nowhere in the mountain region of Mexico

Edit: ironically it just took me 3 minutes to send this message because this was shown in the middle of Berlin:
Christ they are behind. Genuinely sorry you have to deal with that, especially rn when communication is so important. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: calstanford
Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Wish 5G was delayed another year. The iphone 12 looks like a great upgrade but the first gen 5G chips are going to be pretty lackluster compared to the ones a year later.

Comment

SvenLorenz1975

Contributor
Sep 13, 2015
Germany

Well it depends on your carrier and where you live. I have full LTE reception at home, at my workplace and anywhere in between. I haven't seen that E in years. And I pay 35€ for 60GB. It's not as bad in Germany as many people claim.

Reactions: Agit21
Comment

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
"By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas."

Electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light. The speed doesn't change with the frequency, it's the amount of information that can be carried at the higher frequency that makes the difference.

Yes, so the data rate on sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave... I understood this.

Wish 5G was delayed another year. The iphone 12 looks like a great upgrade but the first gen 5G chips are going to be pretty lackluster compared to the ones a year later.

I agree, so you will need to wait a year to buy a new iPhone. That's probably what I'll be doing.

Comment

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016

I live in Berlin and have LTE 95% (5% 3g). Tell me, where exactly do you live? I call your post a lie.

Comment

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I'm not someone that normally sits on technology as "good enough." However, I can't see a compelling case of why I should care about 5G in my phone. At least in a lot of the US, LTE is fast enough that I rarely find myself wanting faster speeds. Better coverage is usually the primary thing that I'd like to see improve. Is 5G coverage going to be easier to fill in than LTE? Are we expecting the need for discrete wifi networks to decrease in favor of 5G (assuming carriers stop putting stupid caps on it)?

Comment

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
In other words, it's probably best to wait for the 2021 phone, when the pandemic is hopefully resolved, when 5G is way more popular due to increased demand, and when Apple will release the improved versions all at once.

Completely agree. 5G is still a work in progress. For an iPhone, 2022 model is the earliest I will consider a 5G based iPhone.

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Comment

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm not someone that normally sits on technology as "good enough." However, I can't see a compelling case of why I should care about 5G in my phone. At least in a lot of the US, LTE is fast enough that I rarely find myself wanting faster speeds. Better coverage is usually the primary thing that I'd like to see improve. Is 5G coverage going to be easier to fill in than LTE? Are we expecting the need for discrete wifi networks to decrease in favor of 5G (assuming carriers stop putting stupid caps on it)?
I believe network capacity/ bandwidth is what is being targeted with mmWave, really only for the most dense urban areas where you have a lot of phones trying to connect to a tower. It seems like a giant mess due to the amount of antennas needed (extremely short range), health concerns, inability to penetrate buildings etc though. The other type of 5G is just slightly faster 4G, usually works from the same masts and has decent range and coverage, this one seems like an ok upgrade, it adds capacity to the network if nothing else, but really neither seem like music have features.

Reactions: phalseHUD
Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
as if anyone would abandon iPhone World and go to the dark side just cuz it can't use 5G this year.
Although some tech heads might feign being violated not getting 5G this year, the truth is — nobody really cares

Reactions: ingambe
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.