More Apple greed in 2017? iPhone pro?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aibo82, Nov 1, 2016.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

I am disappointed that Apple have introduced a MacBook with such a huge price increase would we see more greed with the iPhone next year?

Not iPhone 7 to 7S

But an IPhone Pro!! (Re-invention of the original iPhone) stupidly priced and a cheaper iPhone 7S with a Minimal spec but that majority can afford!

MacBook Pro
    Mac Pro
    IPad Pro

Soo why not iPhone Pro?

Your thoughts?

Cheers

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Unlikely it will be labeled the iPhone Pro. The 2017 iPhone is due for a major overhaul. Rumors indicate all glass display, OLED Display, three sizes (4.7,5.0,5.5), additional casing options.

I wouldn't necessarily compare the iPhone to the MacBook Pro for price points. It's entirely two different entities.

3. laudern macrumors 6502a

Mate you don't need to wait for the next iphone to see greed in iphone prices. The 7 and 7 plus outright prices are ridiculous. Way overpriced and increased in price from last year.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There were rumours that they would do something like that this year, but they didn't. I think it's more likely they they will continue to do what they've already been doing, putting more premium features on the plus model.

5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I really hope we see something cool and innovative next year due to all those "exciting new products in the pipeline" getting delayed a year for not being ready. Hopefully, this delay forced them to release the .5 versions of the current machine with a first gen product connected to it at a first gen uptick in price (think the first iPhone and first apple watches which were more expensive at release simply because it was new tech). Soooooo hopefully all those hopes and dreams we were fed show fruit next season....I can dream at least right?

6. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

Their suppliers weren't ready to do it this year. Going to be hard to have an AMOled iPhone without an AMOled screen for instance.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

That's what the rumours say, anyway. The truth is that we don't actually know if that was ever Apple's intention.

8. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

iPhones aren't meant to last as long as macs; the fact that they have a yearly lease for iPhones but not macs (for consumer anyways) says something.

Most people are content with keeping their current phone for either environmental and/or budget reasons but there's just as many people if not more, that changes the phone every year because they want the newest.

I think apple recognizes that based on the price point alone most people wouldn't do that for computers...

I don't think they would do that to their bread and butter (pricing out) because it's also a great entry level product (segmenting into other apple devices and ultimately their OS not iOS).

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I'm frankly more worried about the QC issues they seem to be having with the models they are already selling than any stratification of future models.

Every year each release will have some sort of problems. But I don't often see those problems myself or among my friends' phones. Usually the problems I see remain confined to forum complaints. But this year it seems problems are more prevalent and more varied than in prior years. I am hearing of friends returning their new iPhones and going back to old ones or going with Android phones, mostly because of the hissing problem, but some have had connectivity problems or fit and finish issues. If Apple doesn't get a handle on their quality again, I don't care if they release a "pro" phone that can clean my house and do my taxes, I am not jumping on that preorder bandwagon again.

I'm starting to think that in getting the SE, I got the best iPhone of 2016. I don't feel I got a gimped model in the least, despite it having an older display and design and being cheaper.

But Apple wasn't the only manufacturer to have a rough release in 2016. Lol, I bought the Note 7! Talk about a quality control issue! :eek::rolleyes: I have a Pixel on preorder and that phone isn't a paragon of perfection, either.

Please, 2017, be a better year for smart phones!

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Why on earth would there be three display sizes? That makes no sense. The difference between the 3 are so minimal.

11. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

There's no need to replace your iPhone every year. There's no need to buy the most expensive model. Apple released an iPhone SE and they sold very well. There are lots of people perfectly happy with a $200 iPhone. This idea of yearly upgrade is fine for people who want to waste their money and show off all the time, but nobody needs to do it. Apple would sell you a $5,000 iPhone if they could build it, but the only people buying $800 phones are those that want to, not those who need it.

I'm upgrading to an iPhone 7, but I've had my 5s for about three years. It still works very well.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The iPhone Pro was clearly a Plan B in case Apple could not get enough dual-camera sensors to put into all their iPhone plus models. I expect that Apple would have ironed out their supply-side constraint issues by next year.

I disagree that the price increase is due to greed. Every new form factor has always seen a hike in pricing because R&D costs money and Apple has clearly spent a lot of resources refining the touchbar. As the technology matures and manufacturing costs decrease, expect the price of the MacBook pro to do down as well.

I understand that you are upset by the MacBook Pro (seems to be a recurring theme these few days). No reason to use it as an excuse to go around finding fault where none exists.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The phone and laptop are two completely different categories.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Are you expecting me to provide you the answer to the alleged rumors of the three screen sizes? Have you paid attention to the front page rumors? Actually, quite a few forum members have stated 4.7 is somewhat small and 5.5 is too large, thus, leaving the 5.0 size screen as an alternative for in the middle screen size.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you think the item is not worth its price or value to you then you simply do not purchase it.
    I also want a Ferrari but Im on a Corolla budget.
    The Ferrari car company is very greedy asking for $200,000+ for their cars. :D

16. macTW macrumors 65816

I didn't know a much more efficient processor, greatly reduced energy consumption, a better display, innovation that may (or may not) be properly utilized in the future, lighter pc, higher quality keyboard and tons of R & D on said changes were all considered "greed"... smh
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    If they tweaked it to be a 4.5, 5 and 5.5 inch model lineup, I could see it happening. Rather than reduce bezels (which, imho, aren't that big of an issue, given what they provide the phone), offer intermediate sizing on phones.

I for one tried to go to the plus model, which felt just a tiiiiiny bit too big, but in between the regular and the plus would be my sweet spot, and I'd assume many others as well, hence the potential decision (or rumor) of having that model.

17. Bruce_Richwine macrumors newbie

I for one will not upgrade my iPhone until at least I see what the new Google Pixel is in October. I have everything I need in both ecosystems and can jump back and forth at will.

18. syphern macrumors 6502

Mark my words only the 5.0 and 5.5 sizes will have oled - the 4.7 will have the normal old display will look like the 7

19. Elwots macrumors member

I wouldn't put it past them. They seem to like removing features from one model in order to charge a premium for another. Like when the Plus came out. The regular iPhones stayed the same price, while the Plus sizes were more expensive. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but you're also giving up features if you decided to stay with the normally priced iPhone. The only difference between the two should be screen size and battery. Instead, you got less RAM, lower screen resolution, inferior camera, etc.

20. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's an interesting point. I could see the 4.7 not boasting the new OLED screen, perhaps Apple to push the customer to the larger and more experience variant.

21. syphern, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

syphern macrumors 6502

4.7 - marketed as the "classic" iphone, LCD screen similar features to the 7 one or two better features like speakers or something - will cost as much as the normal iphone 7 now. potential wireless charging

5.0 - special "pro" model OLED screen with potential edge to edge display. integrated touch button into display. all the tech of the above. potential wireless charging

5.5 - special pro plus - OLED with potential edge to edge, super camera dual etc etc. As above but alot more expensive compared to current gen iphone 7+ potential wireless charging

keep in mind wireless charger wont come with the phone - separate to buy at $99

Uk will pay upto £200-300 more for the OLED versions as per brexit and apple increasing profits.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2016 ---
    You are probably an apple employee - such a bad comparison.

Ferrari F50 came out in 1995 sold for £250,000 and now goes for around £1.2million
    iPhone 4 came out in 2010 sold for £600-700 goes for around £54

you see a ferrari is made in limited amounts plus it holds its value, comparing this to iphones is so damn ignorant no one will say omg i want to buy an iphone 3gs its such a cool product - nope its obsolete whereas a f50 cannot be obsolete.

22. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

?

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

4.7" is too small for a lot of folks.
    5.5" is too big for a lot of folks.
    5" is perfect for a lot of folks.
    I would phase the 4.7" model out but hey, there's still a market for small phones.

24. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yes apple should get rid of the 4.7 and make the two sizes 5 and 5.8 with both phones sporting smaller bezels.
    No point in making a 4.7 as well as a 5.

25. itsray macrumors 6502

a $20 difference
    there is only a $20 difference in the plus model compared to last year. the prices were always the same. you're being irrational.