Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More Apple TV Models, Future Apple TV Software Hints

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Speculation is rising that Apple may have more models of the Apple TV waiting in the wings after it was noted that the way Apple sells the unit on its online store is more typical of a product with multiple models than a single-model product (first noted by AppleTVHacks.com).

Apple's online store has become a hotbed of rumors, with a recent leak apparently predicting the arrival of 8-core Mac Pros.

Meanwhile, LoopRumors claims to have some inside information on an upcoming update to the Apple TV software. Future features are said to include widget-like utilities (such as weather forecasts, news, game day scores, and RSS feed headlines). LoopRumors continues to have a checkered rumor accuracy record.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
So, LoopRumors:

They NAILED the "lite OS X" rumor. They have also had a few not so good claims as well (Leopard on March 24th seemed to be speculation). Their recent HD Mac Pro at NAB rumor also looks a little doubtful given the recent Mac Pro update.

Still, don't totally throw out their reliability. Take some salt when reading their rumor, most definitely, but don't just throw them out the window.

Note: we have also been off the mark on the Leopard release date as well, but we didn't trumpet it nearly as loudly. In fact, we were very careful to put a big disclaimer:

"While the sources are anonymous and cannot be confirmed at this time by other known and traditionally reliable means, agreement from such a variety of sources is rare. Still, Leopard's release has been prone to much hype and speculation, and we hesitate to place too much hope in such rumors (yet)."

Comment

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
I wonder how they would split the AppleTV into multiple models… bigger hard drive is the only thing I can really come up with.

Comment

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I wonder how they would split the AppleTV into multiple models… bigger hard drive is the only thing I can really come up with.
What about a couple of receivers in the box, to compete with Elgato??:D

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
BTW, that "Select Your Apple TV" text is a graphic, not HTML. It might be human error of some kind, but it's no simple typo. (The alt tag reads simply "Image"--good thing I don't have impaired vision!)

Given the simple functionality of the device, multiple models does seem likely to refer to capacity, as with iPods. (The thing is basically a specialized iPod after all.)

Entirely new functions like DVR could be added, but that's not what Apple TV is about--Apple TV is moving towards some future goal based on iTunes, not rabbit ears. (Me, I like my rabbit ears + EyeTV.)

Optional accessories--USB controller for casual games?--could be bundled to add value to a higher model. Or maybe that's just EA's wishful thinking.

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So, LoopRumors:

They NAILED the "lite OS X" rumor.

So? Was anyone else expecting a full-blown version of OSX on the iPhone? On the other end, was anyone expecting software that resembled some of the shoddy UIs currently in existence? I think they just nailed something we all nailed.

And this rumour......that there will be more features introduced with Apple TV in the future......is this not obvious as well? I would have certainly pegged widgets as being a part of a future version of Apple TV. Due to the games as some already have.

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
So? Was anyone else expecting a full-blown version of OSX on the iPhone? On the other end, was anyone expecting software that resembled some of the shoddy UIs currently in existence? I think they just nailed something we all nailed.

Some people were looking in the iPod firmware to look for signs of the iPhone. No one but LoopRumors claimed so specifically that it would be a derivative of OS X that the iPhone would run on.

Comment

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
the reason i bought a wii was because there were no extra features to appletv @ macworld. If they do release internet on it and possibly access to ure mac in your living room, ie it replicates your desktop then im definatly buying. eg leopard in your living room

Comment

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Did anyone else get an AppleTV telephone survey

I almost never participate in telephone surveys but some marketing firm called last night asking if I would participate in a 10 minute survey for AppleTV so I did. They were interested in how AppleTV was being used (music vs photo vs movies) how it was connected (cables), how full the hard drive was, what remote was I using, what type of TV and resolution it was connected to and finally what one thing would I change about Apple TV. I was torn between having music streaming capability and a larger hard drive. When I told the surveyor a larger hard drive he said I was the 4th person he spoke to who said that.

It will be interesting to see how Apple TV will evolve based on customer feed back.

Comment

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
If they bumped the hard drive space I would almost certainly pick one of those bad boys up - I wouldn't be surprised if, come the end of the year, we've got the current AppleTV at £150 and a newer, bigger model at the current £200 pricepoint, say 80GB. It's kind of strange that the top level iPod only costs £50 more, yet has double the hard drive space in a box a quarter of the size.

Comment

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland

As someone with an old telly, and no sign of a new HD one coming to our house in the near future:( I'd go for composite video. There are probably plenty of people that might want to put them with a older TV in a bedroom or kitchen too.
Only having HDMI or component connectors rules out the majority of TVs. Nobody I know has an HD TV.
A tuner or 2 would also be useful.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i think there are some interesting ways for the :apple: TV to grow, and certainly they could sell different models.

they could make a SDTV version for one...
they could play around with the Hard Drive sizes.
they could make an "Extreme" unit with more features and functionality (ie serves as a basestation too, etc.)

Comment

alfismoney

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
vagrant

Support for 1080p would be a good place to start, a nice follow on would be practical support for MPEG-2 and other formats. You know, things that would justify buying a high definition device. Right now Apple charges an awful lot for a box that really doesn't do much.

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
i think there are some interesting ways for the :apple: TV to grow, and certainly they could sell different models.

they could make a SDTV version for one...
they could play around with the Hard Drive sizes.
they could make an "Extreme" unit with more features and functionality (ie serves as a basestation too, etc.)

...they could allow external USBs (since they already have a plug)
...they could make it an Airtunes compatible unit (which I am just amazed they didn't. Now, if you want to play music from your computer, you gotta also buy an Airport Express)

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This doesn't surprise me in the least. I know ATV has a great future ahead of itself and a lot of potential. This version is simply the inaugural one and is merely a stepping stone to bigger and better things. After all, look what people are already accomplishing via hacks to the current model!

All that being said, unless I can play non-iTMS content with ease (and without needing a hack) I will not be purchasing one. :cool:

Comment

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Has the :apple: tv been selling well?

Might give some indication whether there will be future upgrades as well... ;)

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I kind of doubt that Apple is going to complicate this sector of offerings. The AppleTV actually works great as it is, and attachements will come via their interesting USB port and through the addition of more codecs over time, probably including the DivX codec that was put on Apple Quicktime Codec page today.

Comment

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Switching to your computer desktop from the living room = what I want

That would be really sweet. I dont want to buy a Mac Mini for my living room just so I can check my email during the advert breaks or whatever general computing crap I might wanna do in the living room. Being able to control your main Mac from any number of rooms using Apple TVs would be cool.

Comment

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
Support for 1080p would be a good place to start, a nice follow on would be practical support for MPEG-2 and other formats. You know, things that would justify buying a high definition device. Right now Apple charges an awful lot for a box that really doesn't do much.

The expenditures associated with manufacturing 1080p capable hardware, and the rise in cost passed to the consumer might not pay off until 802.11n standardizes. As Netgear is sadly discovering... their ill-equipped EVA8000's big selling point over AppleTV was 1080p but the unit can only do 802.11g... so the unit is essentially worthless because it cannot reliably do the one thing they banked everything on.

Apple's wisely playing it safe by guaranteeing 720p only over n networks even though many users including myself report doing 720p just fine over 802.11g.

When 802.11n passes the final revision into full ratification and as users start adopting N network hardware, content is ready and broadband adoption has increased further there'll be a basis for the fixed cost associated with launching AppleTV units that can support 1080p... but right now I think the very small market would not recover Apple's fixed costs on such a bet.

One step at a time... Apple still needs to get at least DVD-quality content on iTunes Store before they try tackling even 720p, much less 1080p whose bandwidth and processing requirements are tremendous compared to even 720p.

Comment

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

It would be lovely if it had a 500 GIG drive to hold 1080p but then I ask ... where would you get the 1080p (or even 1080i) material from? Other than making your own from existing HD material from a camera. You could if you could RIP commercial HD DVDs (any format) I guess but the size would be huge and why bother if you have a player anyway?

Heck you can't even get 720p at the moment (if you can tell me how). I shudder to think people might be making 720p out of SD!

But 1080p.. are you expecting iTunes to have that?

No doubt several years from now when the internet is 100 Gbs this will be the case but for now I am confused how this would be useful, please explain... Thanks

Comment

Sebas00

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Miami
I'm not bying the AppleTV if it cannot replace at least one box on my shelves. I'm sure they can replace the that freaking DVD.:mad: ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.