More Claims of 'Delays' for iPhone 5S Over Fingerprint Sensor Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2013.

1. juannacho macrumors regular

juannacho

Provided of course they actually use it for anything so useful as payment security, as opposed to it just being a crazily complicated "unlock phone" button...

2. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Anyone else hoping that these rumors of a fingerprint sensor are false and that they simply add a true LED notification light like almost every other Android phone has?

Battery life would be so much more improved by having a smaller (color) LED light up rather than the whole screen. Plus it just looks better in my opinion.

(Don't tell me about the rear LED notification. That's not what I want. I don't lay my phone face down.)

3. Millah macrumors 6502a

Because adding hardware features means they absolutely can't add any software features as well?

Boy people are impatient these days. iOS 7 will likely be the biggest change this year, as iOS 5 was when the 4S launched. iOS 6 was a minor update so they could get the maps launch out of the way and dedicate resources to that. Now I'd expect iOS 7 to be a rather extensive update, especially with Jony overseeing the human interface group.

As a long time Apple fan (15 years), its unbelievably depressing what the Apple community and Apple reporting has devolved in to. Things were so much more peaceful and intelligent.

4. carlgo macrumors 68000

Fingerprint tech will be revolutionary and we will wonder how we did without it. Now, some people want to remember and type in bizarre passwords all the time and they will be able to with the cheap iPhone version, and of course the expensive one with the option disabled. And yes, release it when it is done right, not simply because it is magical or something.

5. Millah macrumors 6502a

Instead of a dedicated notification LED, I've always wondered why the hell they didn't add a backlight to the home button and have that serve as a notification light. Just have it light up exactly the same way power buttons used to do on iMacs, or the LED on the Macbook Pros.

6. 618537 Guest

Will make iPhone theft interesting.

Excuse me, could I borrow your finger for a minute? or would you just like me to chop off your hand?

7. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Except for PhotoStream, iMessage, SIRI, and last but not least, Apple Maps.

Yea I agree with you

8. ReneR macrumors 6502

I hope they would go "back" to something less soft as aluminum, like, stainless-steel. The scratchiness of the 5 is really a shame for a quality high end product. But given the n, nS development I guess it is a safe bet the 5S will have the same scratch-gate, ...

9. bmunge macrumors 6502

What issues do you have with Apple that you expect to address with a PC? I think you're in for a disappointment on that level, there aren't many machines that come close to competing with the new MBPs.

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I can't understand if the fingerprint sensor is in the home button or the screen. If it's in the screen, and it makes it to where only I can unlock the phone, I want it.

11. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Then I hope the user can pre-program the iPhone to wipe at specific fingerprint inputs (e.g. left thumb or right index-finger), assuming the adversary doesn't know which finger causes what to happen.

12. absurdamerica macrumors regular

Except when the suppliers are also calling it a delay it's a delay.

13. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

Huh? It was the Asteroids like game on the Mac SE that got me. Didn't care about how much Apple made then and still don't today.

It is a nice neener, neener thing to throw at MS folks though. :p

14. SuperMatt macrumors 6502a

SuperMatt

Remember when you had to go to a Mac rumor site to read baseless rumors? Now they get published as if they're real news. "Journalism" has become utter garbage.

15. ReneR macrumors 6502

Oh yes, back in those days, … you are so right, …

16. SuperMatt macrumors 6502a

SuperMatt

I liked the Star Wars game on the Mac SE - mouse control was perfect for that remake of the arcade game.

17. scbn macrumors 6502

scbn

I actually like the feature of fingerprint sensor. Right now I have to type in my pass code 20 times a day on my iPhone. However, if the perfect coating is too hard to get, just skip it and instead, release a bigger screen iphone 6! :)

18. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

I don't know why I've never thought of that but that's genius! lol. Put a small LED right in the center of the home button and I'd be very satisfied with the next iPhone. That's been my biggest peeve on the hardware side.

4 Cores, 2GB's of RAM, the LED and I'm happy :D

19. rovex macrumors 65816

Lol. That's bound to happen !

20. wovel macrumors 68000

Actually it's not.

21. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

While they are looking for a coating, they might also be looking for a CEO, per WSJ.

22. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Cheaper iPhone, if it happens, might come out differently, but was a new iPhone ever introduced without a new iOS version? Was a new version of iOS ever introduced without third party developers having a couple of months to work with and find bugs before the public release? There has been no iOS previews, let alone iOS semi-public betas out. Apple may have wanted to release a new iPhone in whatever month earlier than it is going to release it, but there does not seem to be an unexpected delay due to just one hardware component.

Of course, if you made a dumb prediction, now it is time to make up some flimsy excuse.

23. Mackan macrumors 65816

No delays thanks... Already waited long enough.

24. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

I sure hope you're right...

25. Ryth macrumors 68000

Just release the ones that are having issues, and release the black and white on time.