More Claims of 'Delays' for iPhone 5S Over Fingerprint Sensor Issues

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

It's hard to detect sarcasm online, but it looked as if the poster I was quoting was being facetious. If not, then carry on. :cool:

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

If its a lengthy delay it could work in Apples favor. Being the last to market is not always a bad thing.

3. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I don't know but this seems like a wasted technology investment that is causing a hell of a lot more in R&D to be implemented, and now even much more with rumored delayed product launches.

Why not sell this technology ASAP and work with licensing and implementing Leap Motion's technology ... use its sensors in a very thin bezel around the LCD edge or under the screen entirely.

5. iGrip macrumors 68000

iGrip

I was.

I'll go back and throw in an /s.

----------

:)

6. jeffe macrumors 6502a

The Motorola Atrix had fingerprint tech and was a huge hit among its users. Many said they did not want to buy another Android phone without it.

7. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I hope that this si not the only new feature of the new iPhone, otherwise I will start regretting to have sold my 4s.... I've never used passcode and think that this is a silly thing... a big flop as Maps, IMHO

8. marmotte macrumors member

marmotte

Maybe but Android (or Windows) users have a very, very low bar to reach. Not so with the iPhone. A fingerprint reader would be totally uselessfeature to most people and if such a rediculous feature delays the launch of the iPhone 5S, it is actually hurting Apple shareholders.

9. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Who wants a fingerprint sensor? Besides techno twits who'd have an antenna in their brain if the CIA offered it. You know, just to see what it's like.

Nobody wants and 'even less' people need a fingerprint sensor. The only reason I can see for this, is hospitals needing more patients—iPhone customers who had their fingers cut off, when their phone was stolen (in New York apparently)!

Talk about speculation for speculation's sake.

MacRumors must be hard up for stories. Stick to great features and problems with devices & computers that actually exist, then Apple may feel more pressure to lift their quality game.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68040

sulpfiction

This isn't gonna be ur run of the mill FP tech that we're used to seeing. This is going to be the beginning of a beautiful technological advancement. I got a taste of it in Disney world this week (have to scan ur fingerprint upon entering any park) and its pretty sweet. Something similar combined with an Ive-ed up OS overhaul could make for a pretty exciting release. I'm sick of entering passwords and hopefully it will be opened up to devs so I never have to enter/remember another password on my phone ever again. And iOS 7...if done right, could make this the biggest S update yet.

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You mean you weren't serious? :eek:

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I would be stoked if Apple built-in a laser pointer and a pocketknife into the iPhone 5...I'm always needing both for some reason...and two great defense tools.

13. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Apart that you're wrong about the bar, it seems that you don't get sarcasm.

14. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I knew someone would jump like a thunder to make this comment reply :)

Funny thing is that for some (me including) apple maps have been the best maps of all. But hey..... media says it's bad so who are we to disagree :)

15. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

So to be clear.
    The product is late because it won't be early but it'll still be roughly on time.

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

There's no novelty or attraction where the general public is concerned. Nor do they understand OS changes, they buy the name. Only the enthusiasts care about such things. Nonetheless they'll still sell.

17. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

I'm sad that Apple may slip a made-up launch date! Why would Apple do this?

18. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

let's not kid ourselves though, apple is in need for a serious boost in the arm. There's no denying Android is catching up and a lot of my friends who don't give a crap about stuff like this are giving android a look. It's just the way it is, screen size is as ubiquitous as horsepower in a car. The higher the better, people don't even give a crap if it makes sense for them anymore.

I don't necessarily feel like apple needs a 5" phone, but they NEED something. This isn't like the mac where all their competition was built so poorly and windows broke all the time. The separation between android and iOS is razer thin.

19. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

Now more than ever, opinions are like a$$holes.

----------

How many layers of critique upon speculation upon rumor upon rumor about rumors can one take? How high will this bs sandwich go?

----------

Nobody necessarily wants one, but if it's there and it allows you to authenticate without pass codes and passwords, LOTS of people will love it.

20. Mr.damien Guest

Don't tease me ahaha !

21. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Just viewing that diagram makes me think how disgusting the human body can be. This takes touching a device with our grubby hands seriously.

22. Dayv macrumors 6502

Hold up a minute! I don't want a phone that expects me to cut out a square chunk of my skin to use it!

23. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It is when your stock price has fallen from $702 to below $400 and you haven't introduced a single new product in 6 months (the longest time frame in 13 years).

24. 618537 Guest

I'd rather Apple delayed the iPhone and got it right than released an early bodge job.

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

I most certainly do not disagree with you.

Today should provide some valuable insight (or not) depending on how this live streamed conference call goes.

"All Eyes On Apple"
    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/23/apple-quarterly-earnings/

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13houbqwdvowuhb04/event/index.html