More confirmation Video Chat for the iPhone 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfan881, May 24, 2010.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

2. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

3. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

4. WiseMarley macrumors member

I have no need for video chat, but i'm sure Apple will convince me I want it.

5. ELScorcho9 macrumors member

Video chat is kinda like GPS when it first came out to me. It seems unnecessary and just "cool" at first, but once you get it, you wonder how you did without.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Totally don't get video chat. Never use it on my mac and would be far less likely to use it on a cell phone. But it's one less thing for people to whine about not having, so that's good. ;)

7. darbus69 macrumors regular

darbus69

i will add another line...

to my plan to get this next iPhone - yeah, i am a fanboy, so what...:D

life is too short to not ride the Apple wave into the future...

8. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

I'll check it out, then forget about it haha...:eek:

9. paul4339 macrumors 65816

i don't see the big deal; and probably wont use it much (yet)... but i do see how teenagers would like a 4-way chat, and when combined with mobility (say at a rock concert), I think it would be interesting.

10. CFreymarc Suspended

And I am sure after hours, someone is doing Rule 34 with this. If you want a new idea for a web site. A video version of Texts From Last Night specifically for uploading crazy bar drunk videos from this iPhone is a good one with some editorial remarks will be good.

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Given the high costs and low monthly caps of Canadian carriers, I don't care about the iPhone or any other cellphone for that matter.

Tell me when Apple stops treating the iPod touch as a second-class citizen, always one or two generations late on iPhone features.

12. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

13. skyehill macrumors 6502

It's important because it's on the iPhone. If it were on the Droid it wouldn't matter. Funny how that works. Personally I don't give a damn about that feature, but I would really love a built in turn by turn free GPS. Now that's useful. Flash support would be great too.

14. icrew macrumors member

icrew

It'll be nice once it comes to the iPad--in time for Christmas, anyone?--but I'm less excited about it on the iPhone....

15. retroneo macrumors 6502a

My first 3G phone from April 2003 have video calling with a second front facing camera, as did all the phones I had since then before the iPhone.

Didn't really use video calling apart from trying it out deliberately, even though everyone had two cameras on their phones by 2007. (Until people switched to iPhone...)

16. paul4339 macrumors 65816

another reason to wait for the next gen of iPad

P.

17. CFreymarc Suspended

IMO, so many shunned by society over the past two generations migrated to a social life on the Internet since their looks, lifestyle or political views were shunned by their local community. Now the Internet is catching up with the rest of us that have social lives.

Back then, it was only text and the occasional picture to communicate. With sites like Chatroulette and Omegle Video conferencing, we are seeing a divide of the socially acceptable and non-socially acceptable using this quick video connection technology. The video conferencing on the iPhone will just make this divide bigger.

Notice the types of people you see in Apple ads, they are energetic, fun, happy and social. Dweebs hide behind their non-video computers. Have fun you legacy pre-common video Internet types, you need another rock to hide under!

18. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I've had my MacBook for about 15 months now, and I've used video chat exactly once, using iChat. It'll be interesting to see if this takes off on the iPhone.

19. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I went from not understanding why people want video conferencing to actually using video conferencing once I had kids.

I suspect it's the same for many others.

arn

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

This is exactly what I was thinking. I voted "not at all" in the poll because it's the truth -- I'm not interested -- but Apple has a way of making people suddenly interested in things they weren't before. Nobody was really interested in a consumer tablet computer before the iPad. Most of us weren't interested in smart phones until the iPhone. People weren't that interested in buying digital music online until iTunes, etc.

Who knows, maybe this will renew people's interest...

21. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I've had video phones before (nokia's), but never used that feature (no one else had video phones was the main reason), but now I expect I'll be able to use ichat or similar to video chat with people on their laptops.

I work shifts, this'll be a perfect way for me to be able to say good night to my kids when I'm on night shifts.

22. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

This is by FAR the best feature of video chat!

23. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yeah, I only use it when my parents want to talk to my kids.

24. paul4339 macrumors 65816

if it were on the Droid, you might have ads featured at the bottom of your video chat, like the video on Youtube. Google can split money with carrier in exchange for free data.;)