Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
quotes Apple CEO Steve Jobs as having claimed that the company has "always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Isn't this quote from Steve Jobs about 25 years old? I think it is older than the quote in my sig...

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
This is just a pissing contest between two companies...

This issue between Nokia and Apple is in my opinion, that Nokia before Apple and the iPhone arrived to the "scene" where pretty much the king's of the land of phones.

Nokia is struggling to keep up, and for one reason or another they can't over accomplish what Apple has done. They probably could match it, but by then Apple might be long ahead. So this so called "lawsuit" is a strategy to slow apple enough so that Nokia can catch up.

I don't think this is goinig to be a problem with Apple. Apple basically told Microsoft and the Zune, "Pack up and go home..." Microsoft has the cashflow to take a hit like this and rev up and try again. But Nokia doesn't have the sort of liquidity Microsoft has, so they have to try and halt production from the company that is basically eating their cherries.

I am pretty sure that Apple has patents that if they decide to call them over to Nokia, they will probably choke them.

In other words this is a hissy fight from Nokia... It's making them look bad all over, because something Apple has over the rest is their apparent "Charisma" towards people, and people in the end are the ones who buy the product.

This is another Psystar "tantrum" and when apple announces their Tablet and new upgrades to their phones, this tantrum will go to the back and not be heard again...

You wait and see...

Now can we go back to gossiping about Tiger Woods?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This issue between Nokia and Apple is in my opinion, that Nokia before Apple and the iPhone arrived to the "scene" where pretty much the king's of the land of phones.

Before Apple and the iPhone arrived, the other manufacturers were playing fair and paid Nokia their dues. Now this has happened.

This isn't jealousy or a hissy fit of any kind. Nokia (like Apple with Psystar) don't like their **** to be stolen.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ok, I'm getting confused over this whole thing now.

Is the issue here that Nokia are asking for more money from Apple for the use of GSM patents, than they demand from other manufacturers of mobile devices?

And are these "private patents" of Apple's, that Nokia are said to have used, anything to do with Apple's patents on the Multi Touch Interface and the use of gestures, etc?

Or have Apple just never paid Nokia, period, for the use of any patents they own such as GSM, etc?

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
People citing Apple's market cap
post-5758-1225601204.gif

Do we need to have a debt v. equity lesson?

This will all come to nothing..... only people who should care about this are the lawyers who stand to make millions.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
They wanna have import stopped of all apple devices, ok , import to where?

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
A while back someone called them Psystar, to which I silently disagreed; now I can see why they compared the two.

Yeah, it appears that :apple: has the role of Psystar in this case. How ironic!

Well this case in taking place in the US so you do the math :)

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
As far as I understand, it will stop import into the US. It wouldn't stop exporting from China (where they are produced) but it will prevent the products from entering the US.

Right, ok.

So basically, Apple has never paid Nokia what it's owed for the use of GSM and WiFi patents used in the iPhone?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Is the issue here that Nokia are asking for more money from Apple for the use of GSM patents, than they demand from other manufacturers of mobile devices?

Apple's biggest complaint is their claim that Nokia wanted patent cross-licensing like they do with other GSM vendors.

Whatever they did ask for in the past is moot, though, since Nokia has asked a Delaware jury to decide what are fair royalties.

And are these "private patents" of Apple's, that Nokia are said to have used, anything to do with Apple's patents on the Multi Touch Interface and the use of gestures, etc?

Not really. There is one about touch scrolling and rotating, but most are patents about internal booting, power conservation, software methods, etc.

Or have Apple just never paid Nokia, period, for the use of any patents they own such as GSM, etc?

That was Nokia's original complaint.

Import to the USA. Most Apple products are made in China.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Good point, should the term not be "export"?

Import is the right term. The infringing devices cannot be imported into the U.S. Apple makes its products abroad.

As for the market cap/debt vs. equity guy - Apple has at least $28B in the bank, which is more than enough to buy 50.1% of Nokia's common stock.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Ty all for clearing that up, so in a worst case scenario, i ( located in the EU ) would still be able to get a apple product then, mabe that will speed up the delivery of my 27ich imac wich i'm waiting on for almost 2 months now ;-).

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I find it hard to believe that a company the size of Nokia could be acting without some just cause. The fact that the majority seem to be dismissing the whole case so prematurely surprises me.

What could nokia possibly prove that would justify the banning of all wireless apple products (Aka almost everything)

if they were fighting for something reasonable like a different liscensing agreement, you'd probably see many mire people open to supporting nokia. For nokia to claim there patents are so critical to apple devices that the international sale of them needs to be entirely discontinued is absolutely absurd.

As I think through my life, what nokia products have I owned. None. How many apple products? Well over 10, prolly 20. If one of these two companies is a patent troll, who is it gonna be? The company whose profit margin is skyrocketing by the day and is widely considered the most marketable company, or the company who has provided cell phones to a nice slice if the public only to now find themselves being outmanuevered by not one but two new players in the market and otherwise has little income?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What could nokia possibly prove that would justify the banning of all wireless apple products (Aka almost everything)

if they were fighting for something reasonable like a different liscensing agreement, you'd probably see many mire people open to supporting nokia. For nokia to claim there patents are so critical to apple devices that the international sale of them needs to be entirely discontinued is absolutely absurd.

As I think through my life, what nokia products have I owned. None. How many apple products? Well over 10, prolly 20. If one of these two companies is a patent troll, who is it gonna be? The company whose profit margin is skyrocketing by the day and is widely considered the most marketable company, or the company who has provided cell phones to a nice slice if the public only to now find themselves being outmanuevered by not one but two new players in the market and otherwise has little income?

You have said all of that completely missing what caused this fiasco to begin with, Apple not paying for the tech that Nokia helped develop.

Nokia haven't done this on a whim, they got done over by Apple and Apple are now under pressure from a company that heleped develop and mature modern mobile communication.

Why do people keep forgetting the reason this all started? :confused:

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Many commenters on here dismiss anything that shows Apple in a negative light. Can't really blame them, it's a passionate cult that follows the :apple:

This is so true.

Any suit against apple is immediately met with criticism of the plaintiff/opposition and has little to do with the actual issues. Most feel better by attributing the whole matter to jealousy. You know the justification for retained legal staff and billable hours to outside legal counsel is "jealousy":rolleyes:

Not sure what the bombshell is supposed to be here. It is commonly known that the point of ITC cases is to ban imports, and that ITC cases move VERY quickly.

Good for web traffic. Proponents and opponents get very passionate about this subject I guess

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
So apple pulls out of china opens up a production line in the states solves the issue in the states. Next. Ok then ill rephrase it pay nokia what there owed job done we can get back to the islate iSquare thing and then see apple get sued for something else.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So apple pulls out of china opens up a production line in the states solves the issue in the states. Next

Apple doesn't make these things, and they can't afford to build them in the U.S. And it would solve nothing (other than the ITC action) - patent law prohibits making, selling, using, or offering for sale in the united states (in addition to importing into the united states).

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android Eclair; en-gb Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Sabenth said:
So apple pulls out of china opens up a production line in the states solves the issue in the states. Next. Ok then ill rephrase it pay nokia what there owed job done we can get back to the islate iSquare thing and then see apple get sued for something else.

Even if this were possible, profit margins would take a hit due to the increased production costs.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Apple's biggest complaint is their claim that Nokia wanted patent cross-licensing like they do with other GSM vendors.

This can't be their biggest complaint since Apple acknowledge that Nokia offered licensing based on $$$ only not once but twice....

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Nokia haven't done this on a whim, they got done over by Apple and Apple are now under pressure from a company that heleped develop and mature modern mobile communication.

Why do people keep forgetting the reason this all started? :confused:

Exactly! Apple is simply getting a dose of their own medicine. Apple owns a tons of patents around interfacing with the iPods/iPhones, touch screens, etc... and I promise you if Nokia started selling devices without paying Apple licensing fees everyone would be on here cheering for Apple.

If Apple is infringing (and it looks like at least some of their products are) I hope they get smacked down.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android Eclair; en-gb Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Even if this were possible, profit margins would take a hit due to the increased production costs.
Just like every other company in the world reality comes in and takes a bite of the apple. I am not trying to cause an issue but if apple do owe nokia money then would it not be simple to pay them mind you again we dont know how much but everyone says apple has this amount of money blah blah. I own a touch and its given me endles fun entertainment. But hell what do i know i dont deal with money or law i just enjoy a very good product

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.