Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Poff said:
Yeah, lets hope we never join EU. Most people who vote for EU are either owners of various companies, or just people who doesn't really know what effect joining EU will have. One thing is sure, fewer people will get work, and the ones who do get work will have to work longer hours for less.
I wouldn't even want that for the store..

Sounds a bit like the same kind of protectionism that keeps the iTMS from expanding worldwide... ;)

I believe neither you nor anyone else is able to predict any effect of what would happen if Norway joins... after all, nowadays we are more of an EU country than anyone I feel...

Also: language versions is not going to be a problem anywhere - that is a fairly easy task to solve for an internetsite - only problem is legal stuff, basically licensing I suspect.

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
October 16

is the birthday of iTunes for Windows. That was a thursday. I look forward to october 14. - expecting a little something then to trickle us...

Sony has just made clear they will sell movies through their Connect service... hmmm... I definitely think we are in for some surprises yes... :)

Vigil

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2004
Belgium
TorbX said:
Finland is scandinavia?

Its like... Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark...

And there is Finland, Latvia, etc...

:D

Uhhh, any European should know that Finland IS a part of Scandinavia, and not a part of the former Soviet countries.

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
Vigil said:
Uhhh, any European should know that Finland IS a part of Scandinavia, and not a part of the former Soviet countries.

Well:

People from Sweden, Norway and Denmark can speak together, we understand each others language. Norwegians can partly understand Icelandic to, because they speak like.. I dunno, the way the vikings did in Norway 1000 years ago.

But finnish as a language is COMPLETELY different. Its related to Russian, Latvian, Hungarian, Polish, etc.

I never think of Finland as Scandinavia, and I'm Norwegian :eek: :D ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
Poff said:
Yeah, lets hope we never join EU. Most people who vote for EU are either owners of various companies, or just people who doesn't really know what effect joining EU will have. One thing is sure, fewer people will get work, and the ones who do get work will have to work longer hours for less.

I wouldn't even want that for the store..

However, norwegians normally embrace new technology pretty quickly, so I'm pretty sure they could earn some NOK's if they got in here..

Do you honestly think that Norway can isolate itself from the world by not joining the EU? When a law is passed in the EU Norway usually just follows, but Norway had no influence on the law.

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
sparks9 said:
Do you honestly think that Norway can isolate itself from the world by not joining the EU? When a law is passed in the EU Norway usually just follows, but Norway had no influence on the law.

Norway HAS to follow because of the EØS-agreement. But by not joining, we can have our own agriculture-politics. The farmers can get more support-money from the government than they could if we were a member of the EU. Because then THEY would decide how much the farmers could get.

Norway can afford to not be a member because of our oil. But for how long..? I think we will become members the next time.

niar

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
@work
TorbX!

Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are quite closely related languages.
they all are part of Finno-Ugrian group.

Norwegian, Swedish, French, German, Latvian, Polish and Russian are all Indo-European languages.
they are more closely related than, for example, latvian and finnish.
Celtics, greeks and Albanians are too Indo-Europeans.
Maybe Etruski people were not.. I don't know.

Some Caucasian, Irani and Indian languages together with (almost) all European languages make one big Indo-European family.

But, Fenno-Ugrians are completely different than Indo-Europeans.

TorbX said:
Well:

People from Sweden, Norway and Denmark can speak together, we understand each others language. Norwegians can partly understand Icelandic to, because they speak like.. I dunno, the way the vikings did in Norway 1000 years ago.

But finnish as a language is COMPLETELY different. Its related to Russian, Latvian, Hungarian, Polish, etc.

I never think of Finland as Scandinavia, and I'm Norwegian :eek: :D ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
HyperX said:
Holland is the BEST part Of Europe ;P

I think we are suppose to say Nederlands though :)

Long live THE DUTCH!
I have to agree with you it is the BEST part. Soon to be there on vacation. :D

Anyways, I believe it's the licensing fees and kick backs to the labels/distribution companies that are holding things up. Also, if there were one store, there would be language buttons to pick from, which is no hard task.

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
niar said:
TorbX!

Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are quite closely related languages.
they all are part of Finno-Ugrian group.

Norwegian, Swedish, French, German, Latvian, Polish and Russian are all Indo-European languages.
they are more closely related than, for example, latvian and finnish.
Celtics, greeks and Albanians are too Indo-Europeans.
Maybe Etruski people were not.. I don't know.

Some Caucasian, Irani and Indian languages together with (almost) all European languages make one big Indo-European family.

But, Fenno-Ugrians are completely different than Indo-Europeans.

Yeah, ok.

I understand the Swedish people and the people of Denmark. Together we are the navel of the world :D :D :D

Just kidding. We aaaalll know USA is the worlds centre, and the God blesses America every day.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
TorbX said:
Just kidding. We aaaalll know USA is the worlds centre, and the God blesses America every day.

yeah because they need the blessing the most ;)

on topic: will get interesting were stores are about to open..from market size japan seems pretty obvious...
from mac marketshare it looks more like switzerland...
italy seems obvious as well .hhhmm
(i'm pretty sure austria will be last)

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
iMan said:
Sony has just made clear they will sell movies through their Connect service... hmmm... I definitely think we are in for some surprises yes... :)

Well first Apple would have to provide us with something to watch the movie, everyone knows there is no real market in people watching movies on their computer, so if Apple was to make a sync-able set top box hen maybe they could use the itunes store for that.

I think it is more important however to keep focused on being the best at music, and not distracting customers with another new thing. The battle against P2P is still really in its infancy, they need to focus on that.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
nacl99 said:
Well first Apple would have to provide us with something to watch the movie, everyone knows there is no real market in people watching movies on their computer, so if Apple was to make a sync-able set top box hen maybe they could use the itunes store for that.

I think it is more important however to keep focused on being the best at music, and not distracting customers with another new thing. The battle against P2P is still really in its infancy, they need to focus on that.

What about those iPod-rumors that were earlier? You could connect it to a TV, but not watch it on the iPod-screen itself.. Now that would be something!

Movies is a big part of P2P btw..

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
nacl99 said:

True, but they are doing things. They work with compression technologies for video, they equip their computers with 5.1 sound, they work with implementing the computer with your home entertainment - like with Airport Express... Remember it also sports optical out. It is quite possible to stream video over a 54 mbps network. Only thing missing is the remote thingie... :)

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
Poff said:
What about those iPod-rumors that were earlier? You could connect it to a TV, but not watch it on the iPod-screen itself.. Now that would be something!

Yeah, I think vPod would be wrong for soooo many reasons. All of which Steve has mentioned too.

Poff said:
Movies is a big part of P2P btw..

Oh I know, I have 300 DVDrs that agree.

admford

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Well today I went to the store and got a the new Greenday and R.E.M. albums. I was quite surprized to see them both at 16.90 euros (normally new CDs used to released at over 20 euros in Italy). I guess this could be a sign by the local copyright agency that they might try to counter the iTunes Music store in italy (italians are very protectionist).

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
takao said:
yeah because they need the blessing the most ;)

on topic: will get interesting were stores are about to open..from market size japan seems pretty obvious...
from mac marketshare it looks more like switzerland...
italy seems obvious as well .hhhmm
(i'm pretty sure austria will be last)

Well, takao, I hope you're right. From that rumours I have gathered it really seems as if chances for iTMS Switzerland are better than you guys in Austria getting it. But I have to say, I only belive we're getting it when it's official because Apple always talked about EU countries. Perhaps they just forgot Switzerland is not in the EU :) Anyway, if iTMS opens in Switzerland but not (yet) in Austria, it would be pretty easy for you to get access to iTMS. Just move a few kilometres to the west from Dornbirn and you're done :D

MiquelCo

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2004
Eivissa
October 15 will start iTMS EU?

No more news on the launch in the EU?
It will be on October 15 like the june launch in the UK, France an Germany?
Probably

PrettyMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Oyeregui, Spain
Really, I don't understand...

If I can open a bank account in any EU country (no customs and free commerce), why I cannot buy songs in the, say, French iTunes?

I'm sure that taxes (or royalties) have something to do, but I'm free to go to any France shop and to buy music, why not over iTunes?

Sorry by my ignorance, :rolleyes:

iMan

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
PrettyMan said:
If I can open a bank account in any EU country (no customs and free commerce), why I cannot buy songs in the, say, French iTunes?

I'm sure that taxes (or royalties) have something to do, but I'm free to go to any France shop and to buy music, why not over iTunes?

Not only that, but I am free to buy music from any net-shop anywhere in the world as long as it is a CD. Actually there is no additional sales tax on that order either (on small personal orders). So basically a lot of norwegians already buy music from UK, USA or more odd places on the net.
Why bother so much with these national stores anyway? It is not the way the rest of the world goes!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
PrettyMan said:

if you have a credit card (and therefore a valid billing address) in such a country, then of course you can. you can even use the US store if you have a US credit card (and a US billing address for it).

bank account is not enough, you will need a credit card.

PrettyMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Oyeregui, Spain
JFreak said:
if you have a credit card (and therefore a valid billing address) in such a country, then of course you can. you can even use the US store if you have a US credit card (and a US billing address for it).

bank account is not enough, you will need a credit card.

Yeah, yeah, I know that I need a credit card (really not problematic because if I've a French account I can get the card easily). I was only trying to say (my English is awful) that I cannot understand the limit imposed when currently it's really easy to get an UE account (and credit card).

The question is WHY I need to do this. Free commerce should (MUST) be guarantied in the UE, isn't it? And this type of "per-country" shops break this principe. Or am I wrong?

Cheers :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.