Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

210533-growth_425.png

The latest computing survey results from the University of Virginia's freshman class show evidence of continued Apple marketshare growth in the higher education market (via Daring Fireball). The chart above shows that Apple has made steady gains since 2003 in the percentage of incoming UVA freshman who own a Mac. The latest year (2008) shows that 37% of incoming students owned a Mac while the percentage owning a Windows computer had shrunk to 62% from a peak of 96% in 2001. The growth tracks closely with the trend towards laptop ownership amongst the Virginia freshman. In 2008, 99% of the incoming students owned a laptop.

The data adds to a number of anecdotal reports that Apple has been making major strides in higher educational marketshare. Last year, Tim Cook confirmed that Apple had become the #1 laptop supplier in higher education for 2007.

Article Link: More Evidence of Apple's Massive Marketshare Growth in Higher Education

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

As people realize that the "Laptop Hunter" ads from Microsoft point out the poor value of Apples, this will slide too.

One data point, and the fanbois have a collective orgasm! ;)

By the way, note from the same source:

comparedl.gif

Easy to infer that desktops are dead and gone, no?

Comment

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Apple's really smart to target this market with its advertising and discounts - many of the purchasing trends college students start with they continue after graduation, including brand loyalty.

That said, I sure as heck wish Apple would offer the same kind of discounts on hardware and expand them with discounts on software in the nonprofit sector.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
As people realize that the "Laptop Hunter" ads from Microsoft point out the poor value of Apples, this will slide too.

[graph]

All you just proved is that students are now buying more Apple laptops Aiden.;)

Comment

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
That graph says it all. The writing's on the wall. :D

Thank you very much for repeating what I've been saying for the last 3 years...9 out of 10 of my work colleagues and friends have recently migrated to Macs and are NOT turning back.

Of course, only the moronic PC-fanboy pundits that continue to infest this forum say the opposite, as if this were a branch of Paul Thurrot's blog pages.

MS IS DEAD. DELL IS DEAD. IT'S TIME TO PUT THE LAST NAILS IN THEIR COFFINS. GO APPLE!

Comment

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008

comparedl.gif

Is that graph for university students, or users in general? Because notebooks make inherently more sense for students than desktops do, but that same truth does not necessarily hold beyond academia. There's a thread somewhere indicating that all-in-ones will soon replace desktops almost entirely, though, and I can certainly believe that. The notebook/all in one is all most home users need these days.

It would be interesting to see how many of these university Mac owners continue to buy Apple computers in the future. If you can consider a university Mac user a "user for life", then Apple is in a strong position to gain eventual market dominance. But I have a feeling that many of these users would happily go back to PC in the future... I suppose only time will tell. :)

Comment

nostaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2006
MS IS DEAD. DELL IS DEAD. IT'S TIME TO PUT THE LAST NAILS IN THEIR COFFINS. GO APPLE!

I think MS is a long way from being dead. They have their fingers in a lot of pies. Also, I love my Mac, but Apple can be just as draconian as MS.

I'll repeat the mantra of many around here, that competition is good.

Also, the build quality has improved, but I have very few positive things to say about the build quality my first gen intel macbook pro (I was an early adopter - out of necessity).

Comment

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
perfect timing

Perfect timing for Apple. Apple notebooks are very competitive and Windows Vista was a huge failure, so both of those in 2005 made it huge for Apple to attack.

Good Job Apple and micro$oft, LOL

Comment

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Is that graph for university students, or users in general? Because notebooks make inherently more sense for students than desktops do, but that same truth does not necessarily hold beyond academia. There's a thread somewhere indicating that all-in-ones will soon replace desktops almost entirely, though, and I can certainly believe that. The notebook/all in one is all most home users need these days.

It would be interesting to see how many of these university Mac owners continue to buy Apple computers in the future. If you can consider a university Mac user a "user for life", then Apple is in a strong position to gain eventual market dominance. But I have a feeling that many of these users would happily go back to PC in the future... I suppose only time will tell. :)
If it can do what they want now, why would they? It's only human nature that keeps up creatures of habit.

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thank you very much for repeating what I've been saying for the last 3 years...9 out of 10 of my work colleagues and friends have recently migrated to Macs and are NOT turning back.

Of course, only the moronic PC-fanboy pundits that continue to infest this forum say the opposite, as if this were a branch of Paul Thurrot's blog pages.

I'll take what you're having.

Comment

ast03

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
yeah for graduating im getting a mbp for college since my last laptop which is a 04 hp with a 37gb hard drive, a 500mb ram and a non working battery and screen have pissed me off so much that im switching to mac.. but my mom did get a brand hp laptop about 3 weeks ago and damn laptops have gotten so much better..

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah.. but the student discount for Macs (Higher Education discount can be as much as 15% on certain Mac models) and 3 year AppleCare too for a few bob makes it very worthwhile.

Comment

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road

Not this again!

BR Lawyer has been tolling the death bell for Microsoft since 2005. MS isn't dead. In fact, Apple is going to have serious problems when WIndows 7 comes out.

It is a very good OS and will appeal to a lot of mac users. The combination of inexpensive but powerful hardware and windows 7 on laptops, desktops, netbooks, and possibly phones is going to bring serious competition for Apple.

Hopefully the competition will drive Apple to create even greater products for us all.

Comment

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Move along now ... nothing to see here - really.

I thought we weren't concerned with Apple's market share. If I've been told once, I've been told a thousand times on these forums, Apple doesn't care about the market share ... so why should we?

:rolleyes:

Comment

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Wow! But it in the UK where in lectures students do not use a laptop... i hardly know anyone with an Apple

Comment

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
In most of my lectures, most kids to use laptops and I've found that almost half are usually Macbooks.

I'd say Apple is more successful when it comes to students because of their ability to build a perfect sized laptop compared to the larger bulkier PC offerings.

Most people who walk into Best Buy looking for a laptop for their child want portability, small size, and battery life. 3 things most PC notebooks fail to deliver in most cases. I worked their so that's why I can say this.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.