More evidence that "Dark Mode" is coming

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Rob1967, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Rob1967 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but more evidence that "Dark Mode" is on it's way. If you ask Siri "What is the status of Dark Mode", her reply is "I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question. But you can find out in Settings".
    ios 10 beta 5

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That being said, I do hope they are going to unveil a dark mode with a space black iPhone 7. That would be kinda cool.

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You realise this is because of Dark Mode in AppleTV right? :) Siri also says this in iOS 9.

4. Rob1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

had no idea, oh well, thought I had something there.

5. toughnut macrumors member

6. spklse macrumors newbie

spklse

Isn't Siri server sided?

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Yes. Which is why it can know of something on another OS Siri is used on but can't do anything with it if the OS she is queued from doesn't have it.

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Ayyyyyyy. There we go :)

9. SoYoung macrumors 6502

I was tired waiting for a Dark mode that is never coming. That's why last week I decided to jailbreak my phone and install eclipse 3. Best decision I make! Now I don't have to wait years for simple feature Apple refuse to add for obscure reasons.

10. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i've always jailbroken my phones, but not my new one. at this point, i'd prefer to be running ios10, & keeping the OS up-to-date, than tun a (now) much-older OS (altho i do miss a handful of tweaks/customizations). what OS is your phone on?

11. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Am I the only one who doesn't care about dark mode?

12. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Even macOS Siri doesn't understand "Dark mode" despite there being dark options for parts of the interface.

13. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

No your not alone, I couldn't care less.

14. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

am sure LOTS of people don't care about dark mode, but i'd say you're the only one who feels they need to post on a thread about dark mode that they don't care about it... o_O

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I couldn't care less either. I don't even know how it could be implemented that would look good. Dark mode safari? Okay, so you have a dark top bar and a dark bottom bar. White screen in the middle. The only apps that this could truly work on are Phone, Settings and Messages.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just posting where that discussion has been taking place.

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Ahh okay, my bad. I took it as "this conversation belongs there and not here." type of deal. My fault for interpreting it wrong.

20. Xenden macrumors regular

I'm starting to see these "dark mode is coming" threads, with the same sense of validity as the second coming of Christ fanatics.

21. SoYoung macrumors 6502

I'm on 9.3.3 so its ok for me considering I dont like the new notification center in iOS 10, I was already planned to stay on iOS 9 for a while so thats why I decided to jump in the opportunity of the new jailbreak and do it.

It works for many apps. Messages, mail, Facebook messenger, music app (it looks very well in music app) clock, settings, app store, iTunes and some third party apps. You can turn off Eclipse 3 in some apps if you don't like the difference so there is no reason to not like it if you want a darker mode.

There are multiple reason some people like me want and need a dark mode for other reason like cosmetic one. For some people its way easier to read when text is white with a darker background, and for visual impaired person, its almost 90% the case. Also, the default apps are so white that its normal for many folks to want a darker theme. Pre iOS 7 did not need a dark mode, so the real question is, why people begins to complain about this after iOS 7.

22. kingston73 macrumors 6502

Before I went with ios10 I did the jailbreak and paid for eclipse. Not impressed, I ended up not using it for anything other than settings because all it did was make things more difficult to see.

23. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Oled is useless that way. You will save nothing.

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

What do you mean you will save nothing? OLED displays use less power to display dark colors unlike IPS which uses more power to display dark colors. That's probably the biggest reason why iOS is so "light". Once an iPhone gains the OLED display, iOS has to darken or battery life will be worse.

25. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

It's negligible in the best of conditions. In real world use it will be less than negligible. I'd like people to stop using this as an advantage, because it's not.