Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I'm not going to make a judgement on the design until Apple shows the phone off on September 9th. I will say that I am uber excited and can't wait for the 9th to get here!

Tourgott

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Stuttgart
iPhone69.jpg

If it looks like one of these I'm fine.
I don't like the protruding camera and that it won't be available in 4". So I don't know if I'll get one.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Until I see the iphone logo with model number and legal jargon on the bottom half of the shell, I call FAKE!

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
There were some other leaks posted by 9to5Mac last week that showed a grey back with black bands, though the bands were thinner than these. IF this is a legit part and it's what the back of the phone will look like I'm curious to know why the bands are so thick. They're thicker than the bands on the 4 & 5. I can't see Apple choosing them for aesthetic reasons. :confused:

You meant this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 175

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
guess they realized the Chamfer edge was an epic disaster for ensuring a quality annodizing coating that doesn't scratch off and how dust/debris collects in the edge where the screen meets the Chamfer edge

Chiibi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
So many people are complaining about the back of the shell...
I also think it's not so nice but the thing that really matters if you didn't had hands on yet, is the technologie (iOS 8 and so on)
I think people should stop criticize about those things, when the actual phone isn't even out yet...

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
guess they realized the Chamfer edge was an epic disaster for ensuring a quality annodizing coating that doesn't scratch off and how dust/debris collects in the edge where the screen meets the Chamfer edge

Thinking too far ahead. Get the phone first.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I think they might be rubber, and Apple is going to call it something like an integrated bumper case, so you don't have to bulk up the phone with another case and can enjoy the small dimensions of the phone.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
But why the don't put glass inside like in 5/5s

Because it will look the same as iPhone 5/5S and the whiners will complain again...if you want that, Goophone is available:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

chrisone

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Agree

i dont know why people hate on it. it looks a lot better than the ugly back of the iphone 5/5S with its different colored bits

cant wait

I have to agree. I was never comfortable with the back sides of 5 and 5S.

fdanna

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
Maybe this is the low end?

Considering the 5S and the 5c were the first duo of iPhones to be introduced, what if what we're looking at is the 6c and we haven't seen the 6? It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that this is the "mid-level" iPhone while the flagship would/should have a more refined design (and purportedly the larger screen).

All hope is not lost until the 9th. ;)

titusm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Maybe they have done it because they've created these special bands that no matter where you are in the world (middle of the Atlantic) you'll get full reception!

iPhone 6.
No longer can you hold it wrong.

Has anybody thought of induction charging yet? What if they add this not only to iWatch but to iPhone 6 as well. The bands are kind of big because they grap signal plus power?

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
The shell might look better without the bands--I don't know, maybe just integrated into the entire outer edge?--but I don't mind 'em. Certainly wouldn't prevent me buying the new release

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
The bands are the antennas. Wireless signals don't pass well through aluminum.

After all these years do people still not understand this simple concept?

The concept is simple, but the design is ugly.

But why the don't put glass inside like in 5/5s

I would like to see a return to a glass front and back like the iPhone 4.

People get bands, they don't get these bands. They're not nice looking at all. Whereas the 5 was jewel like this looks very pedestrian.

I need a new phone but this design is hideous.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Don't hope because here it is:

That clearly looks like a render and not a real part. What happened to the protruding camera? Plus that looks like silver not space gray. With this phone it seems more difficult than ever to know what's a potentially legit part vs a render/3D mockup, Chinese knockoff.

Kwstas

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2013
Cheap decoration style

That really ugly stripes look more like a cheap smartphone decoration. Definitely not Apple design we know.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Most people will see these bands twice. Once when you put the case on, and once when you take the case off to sell the phone. No biggie....

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I think they might be rubber, and Apple is going to call it something like an integrated bumper case, so you don't have to bulk up the phone with another case and can enjoy the small dimensions of the phone.

Yes. Unfortunately you are correct because it makes no sense to advertise the thinnest design ever and then sell a leather case for it that would add 20% thickness.

(I could care less about thin, but I won't.)

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
well - it is ugly

maybe it is beautiful in reality but i don't see it yet.

one step closer:
2a66yb8.jpg

2dvsck2.jpg

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
The camera ring is a separate part and not an integral part of the shell. The Logo also looks to good for it to be some cheap fake. So either it is a high-end fake or the real deal. :)

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Has anybody thought of induction charging yet? What if they add this not only to iWatch but to iPhone 6 as well. The bands are kind of big because they grap signal plus power?

Wireless charging required none of those enormous bands. Not what you're talking about but a much better option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.