Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 75

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
If you don't have a case on this puppy, one drop and your side has a huge dent.
The bands IMO are not pleasing, but we will all be scrambling on day one tracking our email confirmations of orders, and speculating on delivery windows.

Dent? Really, a dent? No.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
This is the space grey? Oops I thought it was the silver. So this with black bands and black front might look nice. I'll still get the while one,but this looks nice to me.

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
The bands is ok. But I wonder how it will look like when the phone is 6 months old...

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
NFC is now 'expected'?

" the iPhone 6 is expected to feature… near field communication (NFC) technology for mobile payments."

As far as I can tell, the evidence of this so far has been that there is a spot on the logic board that can fit a popular NFC chip.

However, what if the wearable thing has the NFC part? That way you don't even have to take your phone out to pay, just wave your wrist over the sensor and touch the wearable's screen to confirm.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
This looks considerably better, though still not great.

It saddens me just a little if this is the best Apple could come up with. I'm not saying the phone won't be great. I'll be camped out at the AT&T store that morning at 4am. And I'm absolutely sure I'll love the phone. Mine is going straight into a case so none of this really bothers me. It's just not quite what I've come to expect from Apple design-wise. For some reason it's more the shape of the bands that bothers me then their width.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I'm not digging the design of those bands but the second picture clearly shows a small bump where they suppose to be. Does this mean they can reduce the impact of the phone when it hits an hard surface besides, obviously, the antenna breaks?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Most of the people I know put their iPhone's in cases, myself included. Good thing now as I find the thick bands pretty ugly.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This looks considerably better, though still not great.

It saddens me just a little if this is the best Apple could come up with. I'm not saying the phone won't be great. I'll be camped out at the AT&T store that morning at 4am. And I'm absolutely sure I'll love the phone. Mine is going straight into a case so none of this really bothers me. It's just not quite what I've come to expect from Apple design-wise. For some reason it's more the shape of the bands that bothers me then their width.

Leaks never look as good as the real thing. I'm reserving judgement until the phone is announced and we get photos of the real thing with impressions from people at the event or those given review units.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Not for nothing, I did see an iPhone 6 replica in gold somewhere that had matching gold bands. Soooo, it could still be a replica phone...but its probably real.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
So what would everyone prefer, a cell phone with no cell coverage?

Pretty sure Apple did their due-diligence with this and this was the best solution they came up with. The colored bands are a great improvement to the other ones we've seen that were almost white

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
So the antenna bands are real? Damn it. It is disgustingly ugly. It's extremely disappointing to see that Apple couldn't figure out a better design for the antenna. It is not pleasing aesthetically at all.

Obviously a matter of taste. I kind of like them.

REALLY want to see the 5.5 version though!!

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
The bands look like a good design decision.

Firstly they are needed to seperate the metal panels (just like htc one).

Unlike the htc one, the outer band around the edge cover the edges of the device, because they are convex, they are thick. The htc one didnt do this - resulting in damage to the small panels when dropped and landing on bottom or top edge of phone.

Once you are set on thick bands around the edges, the brand across the device needs to be the same thickness - other wise it will be even more ugly.

I wouldn't be surprised if these bands and sapphire are explained as making the phone near indestructible - something you can't do with glass panels of iphone5,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.