Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we approach to the rumored late-February Apple event, trinkets of information regarding the next iPhone firmware are continuing to trickle in.

The latest but possibly most questionable rumor comes from HardMac/MacBidouille. The site posts an unconfirmed tip from an Orange Representative, who claimed the next firmware (v2.0) would bring Flash support (rumored), .Docx support, a file manager, copy/paste support (rumored for 1.1.3), more mature BlueTooth device management, and SMS via WiFi. HardMac has had a less than stellar rumor record. In this case, HardMac warns readers that this rumor is unconfirmed at this time.

Article Link

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
iPhone 2.0 Camera App.

What do you guys think of this idea???

It would be just like the current iPhone but also with an iSight on the front. On the top right corner is like the album art flipper where you flip from the back camera to the front camera (no more fumbling to take a pic of yourself). The camera now takes pics and records videos as you can see on the bottom left and right and each is saved to its icon on the far left or right. Pics have all the current options plus the addition of posting to Flickr. Videos are saved in a video role with videos like the pics are now in photos. Videos can also be emailed, posted on .mac web gallery, or uploaded to YouTube. Pics and videos can also be done in landscape for widescreen.

Obviously they would also add an iChat AV app for this front iSight as well maybe only on WiFi now or 3G when that comes. So this is the draft of my implementation. You guys like?

Attachments

• iPhoneCameras.jpg
    iPhoneCameras.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 499

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
How many of you also get the feeling that only the dot updates will be free and that when it goes to 2.0 firmware like a new OS that even the iPhone owners will have to pay for it???

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
iPhone software v2.0 wont be out until iPhone hardware v2.0. This update should most defiantly be 1.2.0

interesting though... SMS over WiFi... that makes so much sense, I wonder if AT&T would try to stop that. I have never heard of that before in a phone but unless there is SMS revenue sharing there is no reason Apple wouldn't want that. Maybe this is how they plan to tackle MMS. Picture and Video messages when you are near WiFi?

Now is the perfect time to add a file structure. Put out 1.2.0 containing a file structure with a beta SDK to developers. As apps start to come in, the SDK can go out of beta, but the phone would already be able to handle the apps due to the file structure in 1.2.0. They can delay the 1.2.1 release by taking care of the product--user side--ahead of time.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
How many of you also get the feeling that only the dot updates will be free and that when it goes to 2.0 firmware like a new OS that even the iPhone owners will have to pay for it???

Personally, I'd be happy to pay for a 2.0 upgrade if it added significant functionality, in the same way I was happy to pay for the upgrade to Leopard (and the previous OS X versions)

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Sorry to rain on this parade, but. . . This promised firmware includes pretty much every (normal) wish people have for the iPhone. What's the chance of every fix coming at the same time?

dlewisdm

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
iPhone software v2.0 wont be out until iPhone hardware v2.0. This update should most defiantly be 1.2.0

interesting though... SMS over WiFi... that makes so much sense, I wonder if AT&T would try to stop that.

In a word: yes. Frankly, I'd be surprised if AT&T and Apple don't have an agreement prohibiting Apple from making that type of logical improvement for the iPhone. That software update would take a significant chunk out of AT&T's revenue stream.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Personally, I'd be happy to pay for a 2.0 upgrade if it added significant functionality, in the same way I was happy to pay for the upgrade to Leopard (and the previous OS X versions)

You wont have to pay for any firmware editions for the iphone as your a subscriber, thus providing a constant stream of revenue to apple.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
oo man i really hope that this firmware update includes flash because i have found that a lot of the sites that i visit on my ipod touch show a bunch of lego bricks where it needs a addon to view it

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it could be 1.2 instead of 2.0.

1.2 would be more likely since 2.0 is likely to be used for the iPhone V2 which we expect will have significant hardware changes.

I bet on 1.2 instead.

To me the iPhone Killer APP will be Video iChat on the iPhone. iChat like all the other features in the iPhone are social apps, there is nothing like live video for social.
However it needs a front video camera, so I expect it in V2 of the iPhone.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
In a word: yes. Frankly, I'd be surprised if AT&T and Apple don't have an agreement prohibiting Apple from making that type of logical improvement for the iPhone. That software update would take a significant chunk out of AT&T's revenue stream.

Yeah, the whole SMS thing is artificially enforced. You can get unlimited YouTube videos, but tiny 100 char text messages are limited.

So, yeah, I have to assume AT&T won't be behind Apple allowing their subscribers to skip over them.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006

I can agree with you, and I think it would make perfect sense being that it would be structured just like OS X upgrades, but I just find it interesting that they never clarify. I don't think they will clarify until they release iPhone 2.0 with firmware 2.0 and say that it is $39.99 or whatever and the dot releases will continue to be free.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
You wont have to pay for any firmware editions for the iphone as your a subscriber, thus providing a constant stream of revenue to apple.

I think you are right but only for dot releases. I guarantee you that when they announce iPhone 2.0 with firmware 2.0 it will cost money for iPhone customers and the dot releases will continue to be free. Just like with OS X. And I know there will be a LOT of complaining because of that very issue with the subscriber revenue, but you wait and see!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.