Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Looking forward to those iBricks for my brick wall out back.

Looks like some people will not be able to upgrade to 1.1.3 and that maybe a requirement (just a guess) for interaction with new hardware / software coming in Jan.

Starting to look like some unlocked phones maybe left behind "permanently" very soon.

So long as the demand remains high for unlocked phones then people will find away. The new TurboSIM methods are actually a blessing in disguise as they don't even modify anything on the phone, simply trick it into believing it has a valid AT&T SIM card. Even if Apple targets the TurboSIM solution, the chip is programable and can be programmed to display whatever new information Apple is looking for.

People want unlocked phones, Apple should just accept it and cater to the market. They can keep trying, but in all honesty I don't believe they will be able to stop it. All this talk of bricks is a bit in correct, because it's be possible to restore iPhones to their original state and then apply newer unlocking methods. Also as I already mentioned the newest solutions have gone a step further and removed the need to modify the phone's baseband. Thus greatly removing risks to the people that wish for unlocked phones.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
OK I believe this now, but why do the icons default to the left when he takes his finger off the app (when moving it) when on the current firmware the icons go from right to left (see iTunes WiFi Store).

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
What a strange interface. The "Wiggly Icons"? I assumed by the description that the icon you selected would start wiggling, meaning It was the one being moved. Instead, everything wiggles? I'm not sure I like the wiggling, but I certainly like the ability it claims to offer. I can finally get "Stocks" out of there, and Wikipedia/Wunderground ON there.

And to all the people calling this a crappy update. Please, do us all a favor and learn to program, download the SDK and fill in all the "missing features", since this is (apparently) such a terrible backwards phone.

OK I believe this now, but why do the icons default to the left when he takes his finger off the app (when moving it) when on the current firmware the icons go from right to left (see iTunes WiFi Store).

That one always felt uncomfortable to me. We live in a western society over here and read from left to right. Silly Store. The other thing that bothered me, pre-iTunesStore, was why they didn't 4 rows of 3, instead of 3 rows of 4.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

I'm guessing it defaults to the left because there are multiple home screens.Just like the current apps like weather go from left to right.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
People want unlocked phones, Apple should just accept it and cater to the market.

The fact that the iphone is tied to ATT is no secret. Maybe people should just accept it and either switch to ATT or not, Apple has run the numbers a million more times then you or I and has decided this is the path to better profitably and long term sustainability.

People need to "accept" that this phone will be (in the states) be tied to ATT for many more years to come.

tomd89

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
The iTunes Store on the present firmware is located on the right so that it is close to the iPod icon, not because if there were more icons they could stack from the right.

lamar777

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
what i want to know is, Apple have added the paging of the home screen, but why do that now when there aren't even enough apps for more than 1 screen?
i know the SDK is out in feb, so why not release the paging then?
unless there are some more apps to be released from now till end of feb?

i was very hasty about installing summerboard and customize etc.. on my iPhone, but to be honest, i don't think i could go back to the standard Apple way now..

Thats an easy one with how simple it looks to make an icon bookmark. I think that it would also be very easy for apple to create a preference pane in iTunes that, much like customize, allows users to decide which widgets they want to be active on their phone. I believe new widgets are coming and that the only reason I have been forced up until now to have "Stocks" is because apple wanted my iPhone to look like all other iPhones. With bookmark icons and possible new widgets the standard home screen is done with.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Guess

So the questions are obvious:

1) Why is GearLive blatantly posting this video without fear of Apple lawyers, esp after what Thinksecret just went through?
Is Apple in on this?

2) Why has Apple not sent a cease and desist to Gearlive? Other leaks which contained far less in the past were out for 10 minutes before Apple got these sites to pull down the post/video/etc.

3) How is it that Gear Live got this firmware onto their phones? This may be the biggest leak ever from Apple. Anyone remember any other video containing as much info as this does of any previous Apple release of hardware or software? It is not as if iPhone software gets seeded to developers and can make its way online.

So I have to conclude that Apple wanted this leaked and perhaps sent it to Gear Live themselves (maybe they even initially approached MacRumors.com- who knows?). GearLive gets tons of webtraffic and press.... Apple gets.... Well what does Apple get? That is my big question.

Apple could have just released this themselves on apple.com
Apple now loses some "wowness" at Macworld when I suspect this was all to be released.

I don't get it. Anyone have any guesses?
My guess is that this is an intentional leak on Apple's part and that they are merely watching to see how the firmware spreads in the hacker community, who gives it to who etc. If I was them I would put something in it so that adoption of it can be easily tracked. Remember that the 1.1.2 firmware came into people's hands in a similar but seemingly less deliberate way, so they let it go more deliberately this time in order to figure out which guy in what office is responsible at Apple.

Let's face it, GearLive is a fairly obscure site. Certainly not mainstream. Why would *they* get the firmware unless it was given to them directly from "a friend" at Apple.

Think about it. If Apple the company, was saying to it's employees (with a wink) "Hey, we won't care if you let your friends in on this release," then all the bigger rumour sites with the large readerships who *also* have friends at Apple would *also* have it. There is no way this is a sanctioned release, even a "wink, wink nudge, nudge" one. Seems to me this is definitely someone breaking their NDA.

If I was to go deep into "wild guess" country, I would think that since GearLive is based in Seattle of all places, that maybe a former Microsoft employee who is a friend of someone at GearLive recently got a job at Apple and doesn't realise what a despicable act this is.

The only thing certain is that if and when the leaker is identified and fired, that all kinds of hilarious, illogical mock outrage from similar morality-disabled people will spread throughout the hacker forums. ;)

lamar777

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Question

The one thing that seemed fishy to me was when in the video he moves an icon to a second page you can clearly see that there are 3 possible pages (3 dots at the bottom), so either there are just 3 total possible pages with this update or on that third page Nate has installer and all of the other apps that he wants nobody to see.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The one thing that seemed fishy to me was when in the video he moves an icon to a second page you can clearly see that there are 3 possible pages (3 dots at the bottom), so either there are just 3 total possible pages with this update or on that third page Nate has installer and all of the other apps that he wants nobody to see.

It added the third dot after he moved an icon over to the 2nd page. There were only 2 dots before. What struck me as odd is how unstable it was. Crashing when moving icons is not a good thing...

The fact that the iphone is tied to ATT is no secret. Maybe people should just accept it and either switch to ATT or not, Apple has run the numbers a million more times then you or I and has decided this is the path to better profitably and long term sustainability.

People need to "accept" that this phone will be (in the states) be tied to ATT for many more years to come.
Amen and amen.

~ CB

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007

First of all I don't live in the United States so I could care less about AT&T. The fact of the mater is Apple wants to cater to a global market. While in the United States people purchase phones directly from retail stores owner by carriers, or partnered with carriers, this is not the same in the rest of the world.

Walk into any electronics store in Europe and Asia and you purchase a phone and insert any SIM card your heart desires.

Now I don't want to turn this into another discussion about the decision to sell locked phones, however one should consider that the demand for unlocked phones is so enormous that it's lead to not only a bunch of software hacks, but also the development and programming of chips that slide over your SIM card and fool the phone into believing it has an AT&T SIM card.

The notion that Apple can prevent this is very foolish in my opinion, because so long as there is a demand, then people will cater to it. Look at the eBay prices for TurboSIM and you'll see a lot of people are making serious money on it. I know that I've unlocked my iPhone and will never accept a locked version. I travel for work and want the freedom to inset local SIM cards into it. I might have to be a bit careful about updating both iTunes and the phone, but I'm confident that solutions will quickly emerge. After-all I'm running 1.1.2 (new bootloader and all) without problems.

I can even go as far as saying that I understand the initial AT&T agreement. Entering the cell phone industry was a major gamble for it. However Apple could have been smarter and released the phone without partners in the rest of the world. They would have cleaned up over Christmas, and the pathetic state of the dollar would have discouraged to many people from buying it overseas. Not to mention it would be an easier battle to reform the cellular industry in America than reforming it in the entire world.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I think the wobbly thing and the way you can rearrange icons is quite genius actually.

No doubt haters will write it off as style over substance.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
OK slightly off topic but, can anyone tell me if it's safe or if there's any reason not to put my AdSense for Content Number into the GearLive forum registration page?

I love the wiggling, it's cute.
I also like that the iTunes WiFi App is on the right hand side, it's different and almost iconic. (No pun intended)

Maybe NateTrue is a sacked/former apple employee.

First of all I don't live in the United States so I could care less about AT&T. The fact of the mater is Apple wants to cater to a global market.
Until Apple brings the iPhone to your country, then they're not bringing it to your country yet. It's like when Windows users started hacking around to get the original iPod to work with Windows. It's technically possible, clearly Apple didn't mind the extra sales, but you can expect them to support any changes you make to the device and then wonder why it stops working or has problems with firmware updates. I think its totally cool if someone tries to unify and take on all "unsupported" Apple customers who want to buy phones and not use Apple's exclusive partners. Facts are facts though, it's just not going to be Apple... at least not yet.

If I wanted an iPhone so bad, I decided to unlock it and hack it... I wouldn't post in threads about new features about how I'm unlocked, and I won't upgrade until its hacked. I'd post in the "Is it hacked yet?" thread, and hope that my crowd has made progress so I can use my hacked iPhone like supported customers do. I might even write Apple regularly complaining. Maybe make a petition. Ultimately, its MY phone, but support is Apple's choice. Not really two ways about it.
Now I don't want to turn this into another discussion about the decision to sell locked phones, however---
BUT YOU ARE. OFF TOPIC. I mean... honestly. I wish "new feature" topics would remain about new feature topics, and not have rants by people who want Apple to support them. It's not fair to people who actually want to discuss... gasp... new features.

~ CB

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
It added the third dot after he moved an icon over to the 2nd page. There were only 2 dots before. What struck me as odd is how unstable it was. Crashing when moving icons is not a good thing...
thats why it hasnt been made publicly available
anyway, safari and ipod still crash all the time...

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
what was the change between 1.0.* and 1.1.0?
This seems like a major-ish upgrade for the iPhone to me. MultiSMS and map triangulation aren't just bug fixes or enhancements/optimizations. They're entirely new features. To some people they may not be that important, but they are new features none the less.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
This update is underwhelming to me. Not a single feature here that gets me excited.

Excitement is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the integration of location identification and traffic status on Google Maps. I also like personalizing the dock and how they are making room for many more application icons. Likewise, being able to rearrange icons lets you move the most frequently accessed ones to the initial view. This becomes more important as icons for web pages, web applications, and native 3rd party applications start to populate people's iPhone display.

Personally, I think there will be several new 3rd party applications announced on Jan 15, and I think this update is largely about getting ready to have you download what you want to your iPhone.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
First of all I don't live in the United States so I could care less about AT&T. The fact of the mater is Apple wants to cater to a global market. While in the United States people purchase phones directly from retail stores owner by carriers, or partnered with carriers, this is not the same in the rest of the world.

Walk into any electronics store in Europe and Asia and you purchase a phone and insert any SIM card your heart desires.

Now I don't want to turn this into another discussion about the decision to sell locked phones, however one should consider that the demand for unlocked phones is so enormous that it's lead to not only a bunch of software hacks, but also the development and programming of chips that slide over your SIM card and fool the phone into believing it has an AT&T SIM card.

The notion that Apple can prevent this is very foolish in my opinion, because so long as there is a demand, then people will cater to it. Look at the eBay prices for TurboSIM and you'll see a lot of people are making serious money on it. I know that I've unlocked my iPhone and will never accept a locked version. I travel for work and want the freedom to inset local SIM cards into it. I might have to be a bit careful about updating both iTunes and the phone, but I'm confident that solutions will quickly emerge. After-all I'm running 1.1.2 (new bootloader and all) without problems.

I can even go as far as saying that I understand the initial AT&T agreement. Entering the cell phone industry was a major gamble for it. However Apple could have been smarter and released the phone without partners in the rest of the world. They would have cleaned up over Christmas, and the pathetic state of the dollar would have discouraged to many people from buying it overseas. Not to mention it would be an easier battle to reform the cellular industry in America than reforming it in the entire world.

A) That's why I mentioned "in the states" I can care less about your market.

b) Run the numbers, you do have access to those right?, post them, and then show us why apple should have gone that way you mentioned.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It's not fake

Seriously, those of you still playing forensics to try to show that the video is fake, give it a rest. Why would gearlive go to this much trouble to fake it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.