Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Stridder44 said:
preview.png

Am I the only one that thinks this is potentially the new UI?

I don't mind the "bubbles" in concept. What I think is hideous is the ovalness of them and the coloring. I'd prefer something lighter and beveled.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
akac said:
I don't mind the "bubbles" in concept. What I think is hideous is the ovalness of them and the coloring. I'd prefer something lighter and beveled.

A lot of this comes down to personal preference. Personally, I think OS X's UIs have gotten better with each iteration. Imo, this new bubble ui is better than brushed metal, which was better than candy. Personally, I like UI elements that are shaded to look 3D (which these are not) so that they look like actual objects you are manipulating, what makes you prefer bevels to ovals? (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) )

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
stuartluff said:
NO one uses iChat because no one uses AIM. Its all crappy MSN!

Around here AIM is all anyone uses...

It's starting to look really interesting. I'm extremely happy that Time Machine is optional... I don't delete anything unless I'm sure I won't need it. And, I back up my home folder to my server about every week, and I keep it for about a month and then delete it.

I also hope that there's different themes... like brushed metal, soft metal, aqua, etc.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
motulist said:
Making the entire computer experience simple, easy and fun is what Apple has always been about, and this is a natural continuation of those ideals. In fact, I hope they expand this functionality to include upgrading ram and hard disks (as long as they don't go overboard with the prices like in the b.t.o. options at the apple store).

Really this is a wonderful new breakthrough in Apple's quest for computing easiness.

While their at it, the same feature could not only order the ram or hard drive for you, but using the the new iCal server features could have at look at the nearest Apple Store and give you list of free booking times to drop in and have the upgrade done for you.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
MattInOz said:
While their at it, the same feature could not only order the ram or hard drive for you, but using the the new iCal server features could have at look at the nearest Apple Store and give you list of free booking times to drop in and have the upgrade done for you.

That would be another useful feature for users which would also be profitable for Apple. Jobs should be paying us money for all these great ideas!

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
jsw said:
"Top secret" also probably means "not developed enough to show yet".
Steve's Reality Distortion Field™ at work, no doubt. The man has a spin for everything!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Cougarcat said:
Really? I can't stand it. The buttons break Apple's own Human Interface guidelines and make the interface even less inconsistent. One of the first things I did when I got tiger was to install Mail Stamps to restore the old look.
Agreed, about the buttons. But at least the sidebar is improved in a useful way. I hate how the text on the current sidebar hangs to the side of the images, taking up valuable width.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
motulist said:
It's actually a very Apple thing to do. Apple has always been about making a totally integrated, complete end-to-end computing environment and Apple has also always been dedicated to transforming things that had been difficult for non-techies to do into some so simple and effective that even advanced technical users decide it's the best method. This is probably not the first time an option to buy hardware has been built into software, but just like Time Machine is revolutionary because it's the first SIMPLE file-by-file backup system and not because it's the first backup system ever, so too this "Buy Battery" button is revolutionary because of how simple and integrated it is.

I'm hardly an Apple apologist, I complain quite loudly when they do things that are lame. But I think this is a very Apple thing to do and a feature that isn't just a built in advertisement. If I had an OS X button to buy a new battery when I wanted one, rather than tracking down the battery model number I needed and having to worry about who to buy from and bothering with technical details, I'd definitely appreciate being able to just click that button.

Making the entire computer experience simple, easy and fun is what Apple has always been about, and this is a natural continuation of those ideals. In fact, I hope they expand this functionality to include upgrading ram and hard disks (as long as they don't go overboard with the prices like in the b.t.o. options at the apple store).

Really this is a wonderful new breakthrough in Apple's quest for computing easiness.
I almost agree with you. I think it is helpful for Apple to provide an easy link for users who have a bad battery and need to buy another "replacement" battery; however, when Apple is trying to sell you a "spare" battery, something you really don't need, they seem like the salesmen knocking on your door trying to sell you a $1400 vacuum.

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
i'm liking the new mail features :D

akac said:

i happen to like the ovalness and coloring :p

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
MacRumoron said:
i'm liking the new mail features :D

i happen to like the ovalness and coloring :p

Exactly, it just seems like that's where the new UI is going to go. Mail made the change, now Preview?? A random app like preview gets that same change? Im thinking it might be a sign of things to come..

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
elmimmo said:
Hey, don't say that too loud.

From the ever changing Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines:
And that's how they read now… "Back" at the release of Tiger it was like this:(no explanation on why the changed was deemed more appropriate).

Hey, don't look at me. I did not write that!
It's still the same story. The icons are still distinctive and easily identified by their outline, as per interface guidelines. The fact that they're on a consistent and unified "button bar" or "bubble" is simply an aesthetic decision. Safari and the Finder have worked in this fashion since the beginning and no one threw the "HIG book" at Apple for that.

iNev

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2005
mikes63737 said:

Well around here most people use MSN with a smattering of Google's Jabber messenger thing. As pointed out elsewhere, it's very geographical dependant (i.e. AIM in the US, MSN everywhere else).

jameshopkins said:
I have just switched to Mac, and it's annoying I cant Video Conference with any MSN Messenger users (MSN Messenger on Mac doesnt support it). iChat is awesome but I have no contacts, lol. Anyone know of any other way, I have tried AdiumX and looked into Jabber.

I've tried aMSN/Mercury and plain didn't like it. Ugly, slow and couldn't get my iSight to even look like it was going to work. Now playing around with the Yahoo messenger for video chats since the Y!/MSN protocol partnership.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
FireFox already lets you drag tabs around-why not Safari?

And with phishing-a phishing filterl, like in IE7 would be good to have for .Mac users in Safari.

Mail already has a phishing filter you will see a pop-up that shows you the actual URL that you will be taken to.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
KingYaba said:
I think I like the brushed metal look much better. :(

My opinion of brushed metal is that it's a very good theme and has big a cool factor, but the clean lines and clarity of the new theme has already won me over. It's not perfect, there are things I'd change, but I think it's a nice step up.

In fact, it reminds me of a super evolved version of OS 9's platinum look, which I really liked.
For those too young in Mac world to remember OS 9's platinum theme, you can see some here in the paragraph titled "Platinum vs. Aqua Interface Pictures" but bear in mind that this interface is VERY old at this point, so you to have think of it in context and not compare it to an interface from 2006.

http://www.ae-data.com/download.html

But why are OS X's UI designers so averse to putting in a line that demarks where the title bar stops and the window body begins?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
bm0rg said:
Should I see if i can install this beta I got from a friend?

Mmm hmm.

#1) NEVER install beta software, especially not an OS, on a computer that you care about at all. It could potentially destroy your computer and destroy everything on your hard disk.

#2) NEVER NEVER EVER run software you got from a "friend."

#3) Talking about pirating software, which this is, is prohibited on this forum.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
mikes63737 said:

The American market is not like the rest of the world and it really isn't 'all anyone uses'.

Here's a more recent survey...

"London, April 10, 2006 – comScore Networks, the leader in digital media measurement, today released the results of an analysis of instant messenger (IM) usage in various parts of the world. According to the study, eighty-two million people, or 49 percent of the European online population, used IM applications to communicate online in February. In comparison, sixty-nine million people in North America, or only 37 percent of the online population, used IM during the same timeframe. Interestingly, the analysis showed that IM is most heavily used in the Latin American region, with 64 percent of the online population using IM in February.

The MSN Messenger application has the strongest penetration worldwide, with 61 percent of worldwide IM users utilizing the application in February. MSN Messenger is also dominant in Latin America, reaching more than 90 percent of IM users, and in Europe and Asia Pacific, reaching more than 70 percent of IM users in each region. North America is the most competitive IM market, with MSN Messenger, AOL/Aim and Yahoo! Messenger each garnering between 27 percent and 37 percent of IM users in February.

Additional IM programs are gaining ground, especially outside of North America. Skype is now used by 14 percent of IM users worldwide, although this application is used by only 3 percent of the online population in North America. Skype appears most popular in Asia Pacific, reaching 26 percent of the region’s IM user population."

http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=800

I wonder if the fragmentation in the American market with no real leader in the IM space is what's holding back usage. It seems to be that where MSN rules, IM usage is much higher. Also, for Europe, we've a much higher usage of SMS mobile phone texting than the USA so the concept of text chatting is pretty engrained in our psyche.

It really is quite stupid that the IM networks don't talk to each other and I do hope Apple changes that allowing easy use of MSN at least. At least if they do add MSN support it'll give the MacBU at Microsoft something else to drop support for. :D

ebow

macrumors 6502a
dongmin said:
But at least the sidebar is improved in a useful way. I hate how the text on the current sidebar hangs to the side of the images, taking up valuable width.

So instead, the new sidebar pushes into the image, reducing it in size, and requiring you to expand the width ( :eek: ) of the window if you want to keep the image the same size. I don't really see the overall difference. I suppose it comes down to whether you prefer the images to get slightly smaller, or the tray to suddenly cover over other things.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
matticus008 said:
It's still the same story. The icons are still distinctive and easily identified by their outline, as per interface guidelines. The fact that they're on a consistent and unified "button bar" or "bubble" is simply an aesthetic decision. Safari and the Finder have worked in this fashion since the beginning and no one threw the "HIG book" at Apple for that.

Oh yes they have.

Safari was the biggest abuse of the Metal UI going until they added it to Finder too. Metal is right for Quicktime, DVD Player and at a push iTunes if a little dated now.

Adding the Mail style buttons in Preview is just plain wrong, ugly, stupid, bad. If they do that OS wide, I'm skipping the upgrade until someone comes out with a tool like CageFighter to change the icons back like we got for Mail in Panther. If they persist with Aqua, Metal, Unified, Dark Unified and lord knows what else, I'm waiting for a port of UNO to Leopard. UNO has massively improved Tiger by banishing the metal and aqua stripes.

Also, the sidebar is a retrograde step too. The drawer in Preview can be resized without changing the size of the content in the main window. You can't do that with a sidebar. It's also white, unlike Mail's light blue. Wrong, wrong, bad, ugly, inconsistent and stupid.

They seem to be throwing out good UI design and entire elements of OSX just for the sake of something new to show.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
ebow said:
So instead, the new sidebar pushes into the image, reducing it in size, and requiring you to expand the width ( :eek: ) of the window if you want to keep the image the same size. I don't really see the overall difference. I suppose it comes down to whether you prefer the images to get slightly smaller, or the tray to suddenly cover over other things.

Not just me then. Typed whilst I was mid rant too. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.