Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to the recently leaked ZFS Read/Write beta, AppleInsider has found hidden Leopard features.

Quicktime player has reportedly been updated to include support for full-screen movie playback without the need for a QuickTime Pro key.

DVD Player is also reported to be set for Blu-Ray and HD DVD disk support as well as the opportunity to add DVD cover art and change movie region support on the fly. The site had previously reported that DVD Player would a fair amount of attention in Leopard. The site does not make it clear, however, whether this support is in the current build, or is rumored for future builds.

Leopard's version of iChat now supports Google's GTalk (a report confirmed by MacRumors sources as well). If more protocol support is desired, Apple has built in the ability to set the default IM client so users can use a 3rd party program (such as Adium). AppleInsider reports that this configurability extends even into Dictionary.app, which can now use either the built-in Oxford dictionary or Wikipedia.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Wikidictionary! Awesome...

Hopefully it will have an option to automagically use Wikipedia when an Oxford definition isn't available...

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
DVD Player is also reported to be set for Blu-Ray and HD DVD disk support as well as the opportunity to add DVD cover art and change movie region support on the fly.

On the fly?
Don't we already get that? - Pop another region disc in and it asks to change and does so accordingly.
Would this mean an end to the 5 time limit? - I really hope so

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
Does that mean a new mac since how can dvd player support blu ray or HD if the imacs don't already? OR a separate external box or somethin...?

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
I never saw the use in QT pro, with apps like VLC being totally free and able to play everything QT does with full screen. Does the addition of bluray and HDVD mean bluray drives in upcoming macs? Nice to see almost forgot about apps like DVD player being updated!

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
If more protocol support is desired, Apple has built in the ability to set the default IM client so users can use a 3rd party program (such as Adium).

For some reason, this isnt computing with me. What does this now mean for me? (As an Adium user)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
These are all excellent additional features. I guess that feedback note to Apple I sent about Fullscreen QuickTime might of nudged them in the right direction. ;)

The DVD Player & iChat news are also very welcome. Yay :D

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Finally!

It sure took Apple long enough to wise up - nothing has probably hampered QT adoption like the lack of a fullscreen mode in the player, when all the (free) competitors had it for ages. Full Screen is essential for a lot of video viewing.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
It sure took Apple long enough to wise up - nothing has probably hampered QT adoption like the lack of a fullscreen mode in the player, when all the (free) competitors had it for ages. Full Screen is essential for a lot of video viewing.

yes, especially with the dock at the bottom of the screen.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I'm guessing most people already know that you can text message via ichat with cells phones in the format +1XXX-XXX-XXXX. The article makes it sound like it's a new feature. I use it all the time and works great.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I would doubt that QT Pro will be abolished. You still get editing and full codec support with QT Pro, which I doubt they'll be able to give away for free because of all the licensing costs associated with the various codecs provided in QT Pro. It is well past time for full screen support in basic QT however, which the Quick Look and Cover Flow demos hinted at.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
DVD Player is also reported to be set for Blu-Ray and HD DVD disk support as well as the opportunity to add DVD cover art and change movie region support on the fly.

SWEET.

Does this mean HDDVD and Bluray drives will be coming as BTO options in the new consumer macs?

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Hallelujah!

Long overdue, but finally, full-screen QT! That has got to be one of the most stupid artificial restrictions they've ever come up with. Yes, I know there's a million ways to do this already, and that the QT player is a pretty stupid app anyway, but it's the principle of the thing. If I buy a $2000 computer the last thing I expect to do is hoop-jumping of any kind.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
I never saw the use in QT pro, with apps like VLC being totally free and able to play everything QT does with full screen. Does the addition of bluray and HDVD mean bluray drives in upcoming macs? Nice to see almost forgot about apps like DVD player being updated!

While VLC has played back some content I couldnt view with QT Pro & Plugins, it's never a pleasant experience. it crashes on almost every time i quit, and is generally a pain to use.

also, QT Pro does more than just full screen. for editing/combining/resizing video it can be a great tool.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Come on Apple and give us a R/W Hybrid HD DVD and Blu Ray drive.

I want a Mac Book Pro with this setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.