More Leopard Features Unveiled: Full-Screen QT, DVD Player, more

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to the recently leaked ZFS Read/Write beta, AppleInsider has found hidden Leopard features.

Quicktime player has reportedly been updated to include support for full-screen movie playback without the need for a QuickTime Pro key.

DVD Player is also reported to be set for Blu-Ray and HD DVD disk support as well as the opportunity to add DVD cover art and change movie region support on the fly. The site had previously reported that DVD Player would a fair amount of attention in Leopard. The site does not make it clear, however, whether this support is in the current build, or is rumored for future builds.

Leopard's version of iChat now supports Google's GTalk (a report confirmed by MacRumors sources as well). If more protocol support is desired, Apple has built in the ability to set the default IM client so users can use a 3rd party program (such as Adium). AppleInsider reports that this configurability extends even into Dictionary.app, which can now use either the built-in Oxford dictionary or Wikipedia.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wikidictionary! Awesome...

Hopefully it will have an option to automagically use Wikipedia when an Oxford definition isn't available...

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

On the fly?
    Don't we already get that? - Pop another region disc in and it asks to change and does so accordingly.
    Would this mean an end to the 5 time limit? - I really hope so

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Does this indicate the death of Quicktime Pro? I hope so.

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

6. Dany M macrumors 6502

Does that mean a new mac since how can dvd player support blu ray or HD if the imacs don't already? OR a separate external box or somethin...?

7. bentmywookie macrumors regular

iChat already supported GTalk via the Jabber protocol. Is this some "other" type of support?

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I never saw the use in QT pro, with apps like VLC being totally free and able to play everything QT does with full screen. Does the addition of bluray and HDVD mean bluray drives in upcoming macs? Nice to see almost forgot about apps like DVD player being updated!

9. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Wow, full-screen playback!
    What are they going to think of next? :D

10. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

i almost collapsed on the floor and passed out when i saw a story about macs...

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Little things like this are going to make Leopard a really good and well rounded OS release I think.

12. sionharris macrumors regular

great news about quicktime. no more zooming in to pretend it's full-screen!

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

For some reason, this isnt computing with me. What does this now mean for me? (As an Adium user)

14. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

These are all excellent additional features. I guess that feedback note to Apple I sent about Fullscreen QuickTime might of nudged them in the right direction. ;)

The DVD Player & iChat news are also very welcome. Yay :D

15. GulGnu macrumors regular

Finally!

It sure took Apple long enough to wise up - nothing has probably hampered QT adoption like the lack of a fullscreen mode in the player, when all the (free) competitors had it for ages. Full Screen is essential for a lot of video viewing.

16. sionharris macrumors regular

yes, especially with the dock at the bottom of the screen.

17. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

I'm guessing most people already know that you can text message via ichat with cells phones in the format +1XXX-XXX-XXXX. The article makes it sound like it's a new feature. I use it all the time and works great.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No not really,present movie,poster frame,looping etc are all still part of Quicktime Pro.

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I would doubt that QT Pro will be abolished. You still get editing and full codec support with QT Pro, which I doubt they'll be able to give away for free because of all the licensing costs associated with the various codecs provided in QT Pro. It is well past time for full screen support in basic QT however, which the Quick Look and Cover Flow demos hinted at.

20. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Yeah I dont get it too. Does it mean that adium will work as a "plug in" for ichat??

21. theheyes macrumors regular

SWEET.

Does this mean HDDVD and Bluray drives will be coming as BTO options in the new consumer macs?

22. em500 macrumors regular

Hallelujah!

Long overdue, but finally, full-screen QT! That has got to be one of the most stupid artificial restrictions they've ever come up with. Yes, I know there's a million ways to do this already, and that the QT player is a pretty stupid app anyway, but it's the principle of the thing. If I buy a $2000 computer the last thing I expect to do is hoop-jumping of any kind.

23. iPoodOverZune macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

It looks under-the-hood changes are more appealing and shall i say 'top secrets' ;)

24. pengu macrumors 6502a

While VLC has played back some content I couldnt view with QT Pro & Plugins, it's never a pleasant experience. it crashes on almost every time i quit, and is generally a pain to use.

also, QT Pro does more than just full screen. for editing/combining/resizing video it can be a great tool.

25. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Come on Apple and give us a R/W Hybrid HD DVD and Blu Ray drive.

I want a Mac Book Pro with this setup.