Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzp

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Quebec
i think and i hope it means something along the lines that you can set Adium as your default client. but when queued for a video chat ichat opens up. at least i'd hope for it to work that way. but i could be totally off.

hope youre not wrong!!!!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?
Don't bother, no you don't... but it has been answered anyway.

? Easy there bub. It's not even clear what you are talking about.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
leopard looks like its going to be a nice evolutionary step, nothing really revolutionary but definitely worth an upgrade.

My only question if the full screen quicktime is supported, what's the key going to be for, just for the added encoding maybe?

Currently, QT Pro unlocks editing, saving and get info, in addition to a bunch of viewing options (including full-screen).

Just run QuickTime and look at all the grayed-out menu otions, labeled "PRO."

Modrak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
GTalk has been supported by iChat since Tiger...cause it's plane jabber...

or shall I reboot and check if it supports audio to official gtalk client on windows ?

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
While VLC has played back some content I couldnt view with QT Pro & Plugins, it's never a pleasant experience. it crashes on almost every time i quit, and is generally a pain to use.

also, QT Pro does more than just full screen. for editing/combining/resizing video it can be a great tool.

I enjoy it because I think that QT looks rather bulky, as VLC seems more form-fitting. also I don't use it all the time, and it has not crashed on me for as long as I can remember. For the average user, like myself, the free QT is just fine. Most people I would consider to be an average user. For those that are into video editing and the like, Pro is probably the way to go, but for me, it's not worth it. it all boils down to preference, and what computer you are using, some computers crash when they are updated, mine works fine regardless.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Well done for that, finally Apples removing their bad things. They are FTFF, and making Quicktime full screen, it's looking good, except for that damn transparent menubar, it better be optional.

it is, in the build that the developers got during the WWDC 2007, or... that's what i heard.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I was beginning to wonder, how long more would Apple go by restricting full screen on QT to just the Pro version, come on, even WMP can do full screen! (j/k)

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
In Mail.app your online buddies have a green dot.
I assume, that Mail is starting Adium when clicking on the dot.

That's assuming there's even a green dot there. Mail doesn't check to see if your buddies are online, afaik. iChat does, and then tells mail. That's why only contacts on your buddy list ever show up. My hope would then be, that mail will poll whatever the default application is for online contacts, which could be 10 times better since address book's contacts have fields for other IM protocol screen names and clients like adium support the most popular ones. Hopefully translating to knowing when google, msn, and yahoo contacts are online as well.

But it seems like there would have to be a certain degree of jiggering in the clients themselves. While every one I know of seems to have a plugin architecture that allows widgets and such to check and display buddy status, each architecture may be unique to the client. And if Apple's implementing this, its something generalized and "standard" based so it's probably not on the same plane as whats out there.

Anyone got an idea?

weitzner

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Don't think so, but it would be awesome...this whole region thing reeks of cartel and anticompetitive practice anyway, apart from the obvious aggression to the right to use something legally owned, regardless of the place of purchase...I really hope DVD Player turns region-free.

If DVD Player became region free, it would really give the impression that Apple is almost fighting for consumer rights - with the iTunes plus stuff, no DRM and approaching a respectable bitrate (but it's still ****** because it costs extra, but that's besides the point) and then if this happens, it would be really cool to see a major company kind of go against the powers that be to make our lives a little easier (it also means they don't have to build in a bunch of crap to monitor stuff - it's easier for them too.) Hoorah!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
If DVD Player became region free, it would really give the impression that Apple is almost fighting for consumer rights

Yep. I cannot see it happening, because Apple is supposed to be negotiating with the movie industry for selling movies online. Letting us have region-free DVD player would not be a selling point for the cause...

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
leopard looks like its going to be a nice evolutionary step, nothing really revolutionary but definitely worth an upgrade.

My only question if the full screen quicktime is supported, what's the key going to be for, just for the added encoding maybe?

Maybe they are dropping the "Pro" upgrade altogether. That would be a welcome change.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I know an Apple developer who went to WWDC and received the Leopard developer preview. We tried hooking up my Xbox 360 HD DVD player using USB. After inserting an HD DVD, the disc shows up on the desktop, but Apple DVD Player said that there's no supported disc found.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I actually think/hope the SR MBP right now is going to be HDDVD/Blue Ray enabled....

or else, is it possible to upgrade the superdrive IE. Buy the drive separately, and inserting it to the MBP?

It sucks to hear that there is going to be a HDDVD/Blue Ray support in Leopard when I am about the receive my first mac ><

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
i really hope iChat can get built in MSN messenger too...

QT full screen was a nobrainer and it was an obvious addition that was already shown during WWDC when Jobs was presenting new Finder features. Wouldn't it be stupid that in Finder we can see full screen video but in QT we can't?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
This is good teaser stuff but I am curious what other features will be disclosed.

I hope the speech update includes more of those human voices. I have heard some third-party voices and really amazed of the quality. The Amiga generation speech is cool but it is time to have something more human sounding. I want to have a Mac with a Steve Jobs sounding voice that I can play in my Keynote slides when I demostrate an idea or concept.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
GTalk and Wikimedia.

As has been mentioned, Google Talk's protocol, Jabber, has been supported since Tiger's release. What I am guessing is that with Leopard, it adds "Google Talk" as a pre-configured setting. (i.e. you can pick 'AIM/.Mac', 'Bonjour', 'Jabber', or 'Google Talk', where picking Google Talk is really just a pre-configured Jabber setting.) What I would like, now that Apple is getting closer with Yahoo is to have Yahoo IM functionality. That would give iChat access to all the major IM networks (AIM/.Mac/ICQ, Jabber/GTalk, and Yahoo/MSN.)

And the Wikimedia foundation's dictionary site is "Wiktionary". I doubt the OS X dictionary will look up words in Oxford or Wikipedia (which is an Encyclopedia,) it will probably give you the choice of OED or Wiktionary.

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Quicktime player has reportedly been updated to include support for full-screen movie playback without the need for a QuickTime Pro key.
About friggin time. We shouldn't have to buy the pro version just to watch something full screen. No other media player makes such a ridiculous demand.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Quicktime player has reportedly been updated to include support for full-screen movie playback without the need for a QuickTime Pro key.

About time too.

...the opportunity to add DVD cover art and change movie region support on the fly.

About time too. But I'll believe it when I see it.

And anyway, is this actually going to make our Macs region free in most cases? Even if OS X can switch region easilly, isn't the DVD region also embedded in the firmware of the matsushita drives that are embedded in most our macs these days?

SL

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007

Isn't all computer technology evolutionary? Evolutionary and revolutionary are not really exclusive of each other. Every great product evolves from past technology with relatively minor changes to fit new needs. Sometimes a tiny change can turn a normal product into something that revolutionizes the entire industry.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
As has been mentioned, Google Talk's protocol, Jabber, has been supported since Tiger's release. What I am guessing is that with Leopard, it adds "Google Talk" as a pre-configured setting. (i.e. you can pick 'AIM/.Mac', 'Bonjour', 'Jabber', or 'Google Talk', where picking Google Talk is really just a pre-configured Jabber setting.) What I would like, now that Apple is getting closer with Yahoo is to have Yahoo IM functionality. That would give iChat access to all the major IM networks (AIM/.Mac/ICQ, Jabber/GTalk, and Yahoo/MSN.)

And the Wikimedia foundation's dictionary site is "Wiktionary". I doubt the OS X dictionary will look up words in Oxford or Wikipedia (which is an Encyclopedia,) it will probably give you the choice of OED or Wiktionary.

I would actually guess that it means that google TALK features will be enabled (i.e. audio chat with people using Google Talk on Windows).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.