Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KIRA

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
hopefully i can get it this june, i need to start using my savings for this damn phone!

dAlen

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2006
keep up with early demand should not be a problem.

Everyone has early desire...but not the funds for demand.

With the phone going for $600 and not offered in Europe (u.k. is not, at least represenative of europe - nor is it released there even in June)...so that will help some of the demand issues.

With what they posted here about contracts at about $75 per month plus iphone...thats crazy, crazy. $75 for a phone. You have to excuse me, I have not owned a phone for years. (landline, mobile...I use skype, and have my own skype number. Unlike most people, Im not addicted to having to talk to someone all the time. If they need to reach me, they will get me...dont need to be tethered to a phone.) ;)

Having said that, who has the money that apple needs to concern themself with the demand...ah, the debted ones.

Anyway...lower price apple, and phone carriers...I can pay $75 per month for gas...it warms my a**. :) But a phone, come on.

Peace

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
How many Mac OS engineers does it take to fix an iPhone?

50 Mac OS engineers burst into a Taipei factory and the foreman of the factory says, “Wow, I appreciate that so many of you showed, but you won’t be able to fix the iPhone in time, because the problem makes no sense at all – it won’t accept Chinese songs.”

The lead Mac OS engineer exclaims, “It what?! I can’t understand how it would know the difference between Chinese songs and other songs . . . well if we can’t fix it by June then will ship it as is – since not that many people in the US listen to Chinese songs anyway.” The foreman responds “OK, but we have another problem . . . eh . . . the iPhone is up my butt and it won’t come out.”

The lead engineer laughs “Come on, now I know your joking.” “No its true”, says the foreman “I pack the iPhone up there when we are not working on it, you know Steve’s secrecy policies. The iPhone must have known you were coming, that you would force it to accept Chinese music, and that’s why it won’t come out.”

After a long ponderous pause, the lead engineer concludes, “This all makes sense, and I know how we can get it out.” The 50 engineers form a circle around the foreman and start singing Kumbaya. After several days and nights of non-stop singing the iPhone pokes its head out and says – “I give up! I give up! I’ll accept Chinese songs, just stop singing Kumbaya! And why don’t you programmers go back to working on the Macintosh operating system, I hear its in even deeper s**t than I was.”

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
[...]
The 50 engineers form a circle around the foreman and start singing Kumbaya. After several days and nights of non-stop singing the iPhone pokes its head out [..]

1. What are you smoking?
2. Can I have some?
3. LOL

:eek: :p :eek:

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
A trickle?

Trickles occur from manufacturing/yield problems. An OS problem would lead to no phones being released, not a trickle. Once the OS is ready, they should be able to roll it out to the hardware pretty quickly.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
* No new iPod revisions - why? The iPhone.
What do you think the next gen iPod may be based on? Humm just possibly the same OS X that is going into the iPhone.

Apple appears to be setting itself up to be able to reuse and share more OS technology then they have in the past across their products... things might be a little gated on the OS X aspect in the short term (it all centers around technology related to Leopard) ...but I assure Apple has generally separate teams working on all of the other product lines (iPod, Macs, various software products, etc.). They aren't all focus on a given product at a given time like some many folks continue to state.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
50 Mac OS engineers burst into a Taipei factory and the foreman of the factory says, “Wow, I appreciate that so many of you showed, but you won’t be able to fix the iPhone in time, because the problem makes no sense at all – it won’t accept Chinese songs.”

The lead Mac OS engineer exclaims, “It what?! I can’t understand how it would know the difference between Chinese songs and other songs . . . well if we can’t fix it by June then will ship it as is – since not that many people in the US listen to Chinese songs anyway.” The foreman responds “OK, but we have another problem . . . eh . . . the iPhone is up my butt and it won’t come out.”

The lead engineer laughs “Come on, now I know your joking.” “No its true”, says the foreman “I pack the iPhone up there when we are not working on it, you know Steve’s secrecy policies. The iPhone must have known you were coming, that you would force it to accept Chinese music, and that’s why it won’t come out.”

After a long ponderous pause, the lead engineer concludes, “This all makes sense, and I know how we can get it out.” The 50 engineers form a circle around the foreman and start singing Kumbaya. After several days and nights of non-stop singing the iPhone pokes its head out and says – “I give up! I give up! I’ll accept Chinese songs, just stop singing Kumbaya!...”

LOL
Now, that's funny! ;)

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
Yeah... Apple doesn't do design outside of Cupertino. Ever notice the products tend to almost always say "Designed by Apple in CUPERTINO, or CALIFORNIA." In cases where its done in other places, its merey because companies were acquired in those locations and as part of the acquisition, they didn't make the employee's move to Cupertino. If anything cutting edge is going on, rest assured its happening in Cupertino.

I *highly* doubt the OS Engineers (and thus iPhone engineers) are sweat shop programmers in Taipei, give me a break.

Exactly, this is cutting edge stuff, pushing the envelope, its grad students applying theory to make fact, its incredibly knowledgeable old school OS coders making magic happen. It's incredibly insulting for you to think that Apple hires monkeys to type out code, especially for a product like the iPhone. Give. Me. A. Break. You were kidding right?

I never said they hired sweat shop programmers - you did. I pointed out that they are obviously doing programming in Taipei to save money as there is nothing a Tapei engineer has that a US one doesn't that would give them an advantage - other than lower pay package. You explain to me why the work is being done in Tapei and not in Cupertino?

I also never said Apple hires monkeys - you did. I work in the industry and amazed that large sophisticated clients ROUTINELY send mission critical new work to India (or wherever) to save a few dollars. The allure of 'global sourcing' is too much for them to resist. Not that the work can't get done overseas and get done well but it is much easier to walk down the hall and work with engineers than to rouse them in India or wherever and get something done.

JJayguy23

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
And that would be released when? Christmas? I'm thinking MacWorld in January.

You know, it would need to be updated within 3-6 months after initial release, just like Motorola and Nokia do with their cell phones, in order to stay up to speed.

kcroy

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ohio
I see iPhones...

You know, it would need to be updated within 3-6 months after initial release, just like Motorola and Nokia do with their cell phones, in order to stay up to speed.

I beleive the iPhone will be here in June. The launch is going to be huge. Apple is smart. They are going to show off the Beta of Leopard and the numerous ways the iPhone interacts with Leopard and Apple TV. Demand for all three will be huge.

I think the iPhone is going to have TWO cameras. The one we all know about in the back, but a SECOND secret camera facing the user behind the actual interface screen. We sawa glimpse of this in an earlier patent filing. Calling home will have an all new meaning with iChat video conference to your computer OR Apple TV. This is revoluntionary!!!!! Call home on your iPhone, choose iChat video, talk with everyone in the living room. (Yeah, I know...the Apple TV will need an iSight. No problem....they're much smaller now.)

Leopard is the key to everything. The iPhone is a marketing ploy for Leopard OS. Just like how Mac users can do more with an iPod than PCs can now....the iPhone will bring an entirely new meaning to this. At the very least...a PC user will want an Apple TV if not a full Switch.

This is a rumors site. Well, there it is. Send me an email in June.
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.