Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More on Apple's Plans for a 'Digital Newsstand' for Newspaper Content

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier this week, we reported on claims that Apple is preparing to launch support for digital newspaper subscriptions on the iPad, preparing to move beyond the very limited options currently available such as The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Bloomberg today offers additional details on Apple's plans, which are said to involve launching a "digital newsstand" for newspapers similar to the iBookstore, possibly as soon as within the next few months.
Apple Inc. is developing a digital newsstand for publishers that would let them sell magazines and newspapers to consumers for use on Apple devices, said two people familiar with the matter.

The newsstand, designed particularly for the iPad, would be similar to Apple's iBook store for electronic books, said the people, who declined to be identified because the negotiations are private. The newsstand would be separate from Apple's App Store, where people can buy some publications now, they said.
According to the report, negotiations are still ongoing over control of subscriber data, pricing, and revenue sharing, so it appears that significant work remains to be done before the store can be rolled out. While Apple apparently could launch the feature within the next several months should everything fall into place, sources say that it may wait until the release of the next-generation iPad early next year to introduce the newspaper service.

Still, Apple already seems to be putting significant resources behind the effort, with the report claiming that Apple is developing tools to assist newspapers with generating the digital-format content and deploying server technology to support pushing the latest content directly to subscribers.

The report also cites several publishers, including Time Warner and Next Issue Media, who are refusing to sign on under Apple's currently-offered terms, and there are still no publishers yet confirmed to have agreed to the plan. Publishers are also said to be in talks with Google about a similar venture to bring their content to Android-based tablets, a move that could offer them some amount of additional leverage in their negotiations with Apple.

Article Link: More on Apple's Plans for a 'Digital Newsstand' for Newspaper Content

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Hilarious: additional leverage.

Apple selling 3+ million iPads a quarter, upwards of 2 million or more per month.

Android tablets available: none. At least that I know of.

Sure to get them shaking. A deal to sell to no one. 5 million iPads and counting.

Comment

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Some of us news junkies welcome this....

I would really like to see an environment that gave me ALL the content from the print versions. Might be willing pay a SMALL subscription charge...

Comment

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
Isn't this like figuring out a better way to sell horseshoes just as Henry Ford built his first assembly line?

Comment

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
i actually refuse to subscribe to a newspaper or magazine until I can get it on my iPad. There is simply too much waste and ecological detriment to printing periodicals.

Newspaper turns to cement in landfills and is read once.

So newspapers- please do this- and Apple- consider this- go for the small papers- the small local papers- give them the tools to do this, and flood the newsstand with content. Time warner will figure it out...

Comment

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
The Killer App

This digital newsstand is exactly what they need and exactly what I had expected Apple to have set up at the iPad's launch! This will be much bigger than iBooks and could make the iPad absolutely indispensable, versus today where I consider the device a "nice-to-have" and not yet a "need-to-have". The redefinition of publishing is the iPad's true potential for profound change.

Comment

ungus

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
iPad Newstand

It looks to be another Sproutcore (the javascript framework used) app as well (like MobileMe and iWork). I had a recruiter contacting me a few months ago, looking for Sproutcore developers to work with Charles Jolley on a "newspaper/ipad" app.

Comment
Jul 29, 2008
Apple only needs to find one or two enterprising, hungry publishers. They shouldn't bother with the self-satisfied likes of Time-Warner. Trying to placate these bloated entities will only slow things down for everyone else, and Apple. They should launch the newsstand, and help the little guys become big guys - fast. The others will notice, and they'll come around.

Comment

PhotoOp

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
This digital newsstand is exactly what they need and exactly what I had expected Apple to have set up at the iPad's launch! This will be much bigger than iBooks and could make the iPad absolutely indispensable, versus today where I consider the device a "nice-to-have" and not yet a "need-to-have". The redefinition of publishing is the iPad's true potential for profound change.

Not indispensable, but but surely more desirable.

Comment

brentonbrenton

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2002
This is exactly what I've been waiting for since the iPad launched and I bought one. I would love the ability to subscribe to magazines and newspapers and have them automatically downloaded to my device as they are released. I could then use the new print function coming soon to print occasional pages for hardcopies as I need.

I understand a lot of people can find news for free on the internet, but for a dollar or two per week for quality news publications, I'd be more than happy to pay this than sifting through dozens of rubbish blogger articles for something properly put together.

Apple, take the Zinio model and make it better.

Comment

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Apple, take the Zinio model and make it better.

My thought exactly. Zinio had potential but the version on the iPad pales compared to iBooks, and even iBooks is far from perfect. The fragmentation of magazine apps and the varying degrees of quality is also a turnoff. Honestly I'd rather Apple had set this up back at the iPad launch.

Comment

cwfrederick

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008

i also agree, completely. magazines/newspapers (esp including local editions) and video chat were the two most important things BY FAR that i wanted on the ipad. i'm very excited to see that apple is working on this :)

Comment

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Exactly. I read my newspaper online daily for free, so unless there is exclusive content for paid subscribers only I can't see this working out.

Good luck with that lasting. Newspapers have always had advertising AND sold them. The fact that some are currently free on the internet is a fluke and an inadequacy on their part, not some kind of intentional scheme.

Seems like some people neither want to pay NOR see ads for what the use. For those people, what kind of jobs do you have?

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I like the idea of a magazine and newspaper stand. Sounds great as long as the price of the e versions of the mags and papers is well below the price of the real physical versions.

That's point one.

Secondly, it's going to be very country are area specific.

Magazines tend to be a lot more local that national news.

In the UK you could even have different versions of the same magazine for different areas.

There could be a ton of womanise, kids and mens magazines. Even a tiny shop may have over 50 different magazines on it's shelves. The larger stores perhaps 100 plus

Comment

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Some of us news junkies welcome this....

I would really like to see an environment that gave me ALL the content from the print versions. Might be willing pay a SMALL subscription charge...

Why would you expect this to be free? When you buy a newspaper, a tiny percentage of the price is the print/distribution. I have no objection for paying the same for an iPad issue as a print issue - it's the content that's paid for, not the means of delivery.

Everyone wants something for nothing - I don't get it. I expect people to pay for my services and in turn I expect to pay others.

Comment

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I like the idea of a magazine and newspaper stand. Sounds great as long as the price of the e versions of the mags and papers is well below the price of the real physical versions.

That's point one.

Why should it be cheaper?

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why should it be cheaper?

No cost on trucks for delivery
No wages to pay for truck drivers for delivery
No costs to the printing company for their labour and materials.
No need to buy paper (with all the costs that incurs)
No mark up needed for the actual store that displays and sells the physical magazines.

The question should be "Why shouldn't it be cheaper?"

And unlike now you can't pass the magazine onto your friends, family or workmates after you have finished with it as a lot of people do.

Create the magazine digitally as is done now, and rather than start the whole physical process as I highlighted above, all that needs to be done is to send Apple a copy to host on it's servers.

Comment

BMJT

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009
Bristol, UK
Guardian

This sounds great. Not a fan of newspapers for the exact reasons given above, e.g. Wasted materials, extremely short life-span, but I love the idea of getting the Guardian delivered to my iPad on Saturday morning to look over with a coffee, and working w/ the other half to solve the crossword digitally in the back pages. Really hoping this potential is realised, reading the odd article on the Guardian app can be a bit shallow.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.