More Photos from Claimed Next-Generation iPhone Include Front Panel with Centered FaceTime Camera

AMG63

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Maybe it's the camera angle but the front and back panels don't look the same length. Let's hope these are engineering prototypes and the real thing looks a lot better than this. I really don't like the idea of a longer screen rather than a bigger screen.
To me, both the height and width of the screen appear to be larger, that is if this is actually the real version.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
nothing like this ? :(

Only induction charging? And you now have to hold it awkwardly if you want to use headphones as they stick out the side. Also fun if you stick it in your pocket with a straight headphone plug.

Also no longer sits flat on a table. If it was curved I feel a horizontal curve would make more sense as a vertical curve doesn't really go with your hand as you hold it.

I like the look, but just not practical like good design should be.

But anyways, I am liking the leaked design. A decent evolution from the current one, while still being quite unique looking.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
nothing like this ? :(

Interesting. I think if that had been the first iPhone it might not have caught on so well. But then again when iOS came out I think they could've put it into a toaster and people would've bought it. Looks a bit too much like the Palm Pixi.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Visit site
headphone jack at the bottom? i hate that. always annoyed me on the iPod. ull have to put it upside down in your pocket

glad the screen seems bigger tho
The way you hold your phone, drop your arm to your side and slip it in your pocket, the phone is always upside down, making the headphone jack on the bottom really reasonable as a design decision.

omgitswes

Apr 23, 2012
Front panel looks like it's wider to me. I like it., and the two tone black will be mine! If the specs are right

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
i actually dislike the new aluminium back. It does not feel like a proper apple product. I would actually be disappointed in apple if they released that.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
While it's wise not to rush to judgment of a design based on leaked and incomplete parts it's also probably a good idea to consider that Ive and his team have developed a strong design philosophy at Apple and they're unlikely to break from it easily.

That design philosophy is about form following function. Remember when people made such a noise about the seams on the iPhone 4? It later turned out that they served a function and they weren't just random lines. I wonder if we aren't seeing something similar here.

Assuming this does represent what the final design will broadly look like, might the different materials not serve a purpose? Either as part of a more advanced antenna or maybe even as an input mechanism? Touch sensitve panels on the back, similar to that on the PS Vita maybe?

Let's give Jony and his team the benefit of the doubt, eh? I mean, sure, not every design they come out with is a world beater but they have had a fair few more hits than misses over the last decade. Let's wait and see because this may look rather nice when fully finished and properly presented and it may even transpire that these apparently superfluous design features are important in some way that we couldn't yet know about.

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
The way you hold your phone, drop your arm to your side and slip it in your pocket, the phone is always upside down, making the headphone jack on the bottom really reasonable as a design decision.
Unless you wear a suit, in which case your phone goes into your breast pocket the right way up...

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
headphone jack at the bottom? i hate that. always annoyed me on the iPod. ull have to put it upside down in your pocket

glad the screen seems bigger tho
I've always put my phone in my pocket upside down. It's the most natural position in my opinion. Any other position requires you to readjust your grip afterwards.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2011
Ugh.

This thing is ugly as heck. I love the look and the sleekness of the 4's form factor, but the two toned back is hideous. This is either a fake, or an early prototype. I do not personally know him, so I cannot speak for him, but it is very unlikely that Sir Jonathan Ive create this phone as a final version. The back breaks so many rules of design that Ive so strictly adheres to.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Unless you wear a suit, in which case your phone goes into your breast pocket the right way up...
I'm guessing phones in pants pockets are more common for most people, especially if we're only considering times when headphones are plugged in.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I've always put my phone in my pocket upside down. It's the most natural position in my opinion. Any other position requires you to readjust your grip afterwards.
I suspect, whatever way the jack ends up going, well quickly come to terms with it. ;)

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
i actually dislike the new aluminium back. It does not feel like a proper apple product. I would actually be disappointed in apple if they released that.
I agree, it doesn't feel right. On the back of the device, the margins don't seem ascetically correct.

I'd say this isn't something that Apple would release. Then again, they released the 4S as a distinct product, which is the same as a iMac or MBP refresh as far as I'm concerned. So, I don't think it's Apple... but what do I know!

Otherwise, the workmanship and design seem top notch, but that doesn't mean much coming out of China!

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The mismatching colours are different materials. There's probably some antennas that don't fit into the band of the phone, you can't hide them behind aluminium. I'm betting that the holes aren't big, but that the phone is small...
Yeah, I'm looking at the images more closely now... from what I can see it looks like Apple is definitely going this route to pack more components into a slimmer design.

The speaker holes still bother me though :p

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
This thing is ugly as heck. I love the look and the sleekness of the 4's form factor, but the two toned back is hideous. This is either a fake, or an early prototype. I do not personally know him, so I cannot speak for him, but it is very unlikely that Sir Jonathan Ive create this phone as a final version. The back breaks so many rules of design that Ive so strictly adheres to.
What rules of his does it break? I think you just made that up.

I like the design and the the symmetry with the front. It's also functional, antennas can't be put behind aluminium.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hideous. Just make the whole back aluminum, the white one especially looks crappy. :( Why ruin the 4's design? Looks so iconic.
Yeah, the aluminum doesn't seem to blend in well on the white model. It looks like the black model is the one to get.

I'm sure some people will be disappointed that it looks a lot like the 4/4S, just slightly taller with an aluminum back. It looks like Apple played it safe with the design. That new connector should piss off quite a few people who own expensive accessories. That coupled with the new aspect ratio will ruffle a few feathers with owners and developers alike.

It may actually be a good thing that I can't upgrade until next year, by that time most apps should be fully optimized for the new aspect ratio and a bunch of new accessories that are compatible with the smaller connector should be on the market.

Last edited:

fantafear

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I absolutly agree! This design just doesn't feel right. This is not, what steve left us behind.