More Purported Next-Generation iPod Touch and iPod Nano Cases Surface

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cult of Mac gathers an extensive gallery of cases from Chinese manufacturers claimed to be for the next-generation iPod touch and iPod nano. Cases for both devices feature holes in their backs that appear to provide openings for built-in cameras in the forthcoming models. The collection of cases follows discovery earlier this month of the first of these cases appearing on the market.

Third-party cases have been mixed indicators of future Apple product revisions in the past, with iPhone 3G cases accurately reflecting the design that was ultimately released, while cases for a rumored "iPhone nano" have obviously not yet been met with a corresponding product release from Apple.

Hardmac suggested in mid-May that both the iPod touch and iPod nano would see cameras added in their next revision in September of this year, and the iPod nano cases appearing in recent weeks are consistent with an artist's rendition developed by iLounge in late May based on their sources regarding the next-generation device. Wired also claimed in recent days that the next-generation iPod touch will have a video camera and microphone.

While case manufacturers have in the past reportedly received detailed specs of forthcoming devices from Apple's manufacturing partners in Asia, MacRumors has also been told previously that case manufacturers do occasionally develop case designs based on prevailing rumors and "best guesses" in hopes of being correct and therefore being able to offer cases for Apple's next-generation devices immediately upon their launch.

With Apple refusing to offer these manufacturers advance notice of its upcoming designs and the uncertain nature of other possible leaks, case manufacturers are sometimes left to choose between taking a calculated risk on investing in cases designed merely on rumored specs and the alternative of waiting until the products officially launch, at which point case design and production would likely lead to considerable lost time in the market. Consequently, whether the numerous consistent case designs available now are based on actual leaked specs or are simply the result of the many manufacturers all focusing in on an early "best guess" design remains unknown.

Article Link: More Purported Next-Generation iPod Touch and iPod Nano Cases Surface

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

iPod touch and nano users should be happy then.

3. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I wonder if the iPod Touch will get that 5mp camera that was rumored awhile back. Not that it matters with the crappy lens, but HD video would be a nice feature.

4. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I'd really really really doubt it. They're not going to make the iPhone's camera/video capabilities obsolete a month after it came out.

I'm surprised the nano's getting one though.

I wonder if it will be 3.0mp like the iPod touch's is though, probably.

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yay! A camera! I think it's interesting that they're keeping the 802.11 antenna in that certain spot though... it looks strange.

6. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Keep upping the ante, Apple :D

Next year: OLED screens on all devices?

7. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Only a few weeks to go now. Looks fairly likely that we will see a camera on the iPods, wonder how good it will be.

8. a13x macrumors member

It's a shame I have my 32GB iPod Touch...I'm skipping this generation. :rolleyes:

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good news for FUTURE iPod Touch and iPod Nano owners.....:p:p:p

10. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

Just sell it now, then you'll get closer to full price than if you wait till they announce the new one.. my fiance is doing that. :)

11. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Is that the normal "Dock" for the bottom 4 icons on the iPod touch?

12. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Wow...that iPod Touch is still running 1.x firmware. I would have thought surely everybody has upgraded to at least 2.0 by now?

13. Just-A-Nooby macrumors newbie

Just-A-Nooby

wowow..... this will be gr8!!! if the iphone dosent come to verizon... this is my next option....

14. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I wish T-Mobile would pick it up. No hardware changes would be needed.

15. NeighbrhoodPush macrumors newbie

This seems perfectly plausible!! Apple going after Flip and Creative's compact video recorder market share. Been holding off purchasing one of these for a while now, iPod Touch with HD camera would def. seal the deal...

16. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

To me it looks like its just a model of a G1 Touch, not a real one.

17. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

I can see the point of a Camera on the iPod touch but why the iPod nano, its not exactly got bluetooth or internet connectivity. You would have to transfer the photos manually using a cable. Plus the screen isn't exactky that big or high res to view pictures with.

If the nano gets a camera, i can see it being sold at the same price because apple will not update the HD space which has become a lot more affordable recently.

18. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

You mean with the background going only halfway up and the reflective icons like a real OS X Dock?

[​IMG]

According to Apple.com, no.

[​IMG]

19. Rootman macrumors 6502

The holes on the back of the cases are for the smoke to come out.

20. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

If these were real why would the Touch be running 1.0? :confused:

21. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Same with me. I'm due for a new phone in May from Verizon, and if there isn't an iPhone option I'll get a touch to replace my 3rd gen iPod. If nothing else, I hope they bump up the capacities in the Touch to 16, 32, 64Gb

22. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

The iPod line-up has to evolve or else it will die. So a camera on the Nano is a good idea.

23. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

no chance that apple are going to upgrade the HD space now that they have put cameras in. even if they do the price will be considerably higher and most people will not buy it at that price.

24. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I may have to shower with my iPod touch to give me a reason to buy a new one. But I need to save the little money I make with eHow for a uMPB. Uh oh... D:

25. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You have to transfer the photos on my iPhone with a cable as well. Unless you email them...so I don't see the issue.

I think this is a great improvement. I also want one of those Flip cameras, but I will probably wait until I am eligible to upgrade to a 3GS. But if the nano get video (which I doubt), I'd probably get one of those right away.