Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More UK iPhone 4 Details: Vodafone Pricing Leaked, Virgin Looking to Come On Board?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Just like in the United States, additional bits of information on UK availability for iPhone are beginning to trickle out. Earlier today, a test page on Vodafone's site, which now loads only occasionally in a partially completed state, appeared showing the company's rate plans for the new iPhone. Fortunately, Engadget grabbed some screenshots while it was active, revealing that the carrier will be offering a basic 1 GB cap for data access across all monthly plans, double that of O2's lower-end plans.

Like O2, Vodafone will be offering 18-month and 24-month contracts, with monthly prices checking in at a £5 premium for the shorter contract. All plans also include up to 1 GB of Wi-Fi data access on BT OpenZone networks. Phone costs begin at £189 (16 GB) and £280 (32 GB) on low-end plans, before dropping all the way down to free for £45/£50 plans (16 GB) and £60/£65 plans (32 GB).

In other UK news, Virgin Mobile has indicated that it is working to bring iPhone 4 to its network.
A Virgin Mobile spokesperson said: "We are in ongoing talks with Apple. There are no further developments at this point."
Virgin would join existing major UK networks O2, Orange and Vodafone, as well as T-Mobile and Three, which are coming on board with the iPhone 4 launch.

Article Link: More UK iPhone 4 Details: Vodafone Pricing Leaked, Virgin Looking to Come On Board?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
holy carp, and people say AT&T is evil and the US is like the third world of cell carrier networks

johnrs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Nottingham - UK
1gb of data is not bad. Better the o2

Phone prices seems cheaper too that on o2 with the 3GS last year. Sure the 16gb on a £35 18mts contract was £149

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
So they bundle data in the plan and the guy paying 25 quid gets the exact same amount of data as the guy paying 60 quid?

That is freaking retarded.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
seems cheaper than AT&T...

AT&T $199 for phone
Vodaphone $131 for phone

AT&T $62 for 2GB and 450mins + unlimited texts (more data less minutes)
Vodaphone $52 for 1GB and 600mins + unlimites texts (more minutes less data

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
Does anyone know what Vodafone's network coverage is like, especially in Norfolk. Also what their customer service is like. I am currently with Orange and am thinking of moving to O2 or Vodafone. I had an issue with my phone abroad and the service I got from Orange was pretty poor, emails not answered, operators contradicting each other etc. etc. Apart from that I cannot wait to get the new phone!!!!
:D

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
holy carp, and people say AT&T is evil and the US is like the third world of cell carrier networks

I'd rather have these plans than what AT&T offers. Text and data are included in those prices AND you get the phone for free with a high enough plan. So much better than AT&T garbage!

scottparker999

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Tesco Mobile also carry the iPhone in the UK (although not a major carrier)

1GB sounds reasonable to me. Ive had my iphone over 6 months and use it regularly for data and i'm still below 700MB of received data. Everywhere i go in the UK seems to have free wifi, so theres really no need for anything greater.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
I'd rather have these plans than what AT&T offers. Text and data are included in those prices AND you get the phone for free with a high enough plan. So much better than AT&T garbage!

agreed... But the only reason I use texts is because I have non-iphone owning friends....

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
I see that Vodafone have made some sort of joke about giving an amazing 5MB for data roaming in Europe if you pay over £40 per month. Surely someone at Vodafone was smoking crack when they wrote that one.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Tesco Mobile also carry the iPhone in the UK (although not a major carrier)

1GB sounds reasonable to me. Ive had my iphone over 6 months and use it regularly for data and i'm still below 700MB of received data. Everywhere i go in the UK seems to have free wifi, so theres really no need for anything greater.

Try sending a few HD videos to your friends, and have pandora or [insert music streaming app] streaming for a couple hours a day in the background, and voila your usuage has vastly increased.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This sucks. Looks like Vodafone "leaked" it on purpose to test the water, then deny they're the real prices. Gives the other networks a clue as to what they're going for and Vodafone a chance to test the water.

I think if all us Brits walk with our feet, we may get better deals. I think we're going to get screwed, but then I want one so bad :(

I think it's a disgrace though that we've got to pre order tomorrow on one of 5 networks and we've still got no clue what the prices are going to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.