Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i think i kno wha want finally :D

after doing some comparisons, i looked around at compusmart.com (the place i'm going to be buying the mac cuz my dad said so lol..n he doesnt believe in buying stuff over the net) and im thinking of getting a low end emac, more ram, lacie 120 gig firewire drive, Acomdata 40X12X48 burner USB drive (mac compatible)...which would be slightly cheaper (or around the same amount) as if i got a 20 gig ipod...and if im allowed to get something else, might get a dig cam or something...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by SilvorX
i have no need for burning dvds, i only like to watch em :D lol, combo drive sounds ALOT better deal compared to the superdrive

I think you're taking the wrong perspective on the DVD burner. I did this too and so do most people until it is explained to them. I personally don't think I will be burning very many DVD videos though I copied a friends trip across asia by motorcycle on video to DVD for him. The biggest reason for a DVD burner is back-up. Think about it 4.5gigs useable per disc. I recently bought 100disc for $89. Granted they don't work for DVD-Video in all but the latest players but that's 450gigs of useable back-up space for $89 and I recently saw them for under $80. That's cheap. Think about it that's less then 20 cents a gig.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by MacBandit

I think you're taking the wrong perspective on the DVD burner. I did this too and so do most people until it is explained to them. I personally don't think I will be burning very many DVD videos though I copied a friends trip across asia by motorcycle on video to DVD for him. The biggest reason for a DVD burner is back-up. Think about it 4.5gigs useable per disc. I recently bought 100disc for $89. Granted they don't work for DVD-Video in all but the latest players but that's 450gigs of useable back-up space for $89 and I recently saw them for under $80. That's cheap. Think about it that's less then 20 cents a gig.
i dont have a camcorder or anything :p...a combo drive emac will do good...ive never had a need for a dvd burner (since i got my dvd rom drive) since i dont have a big demand for dvd related stuff...just watch a movie when im bored n thats bout it...

it needs to be a firewire drive. there is no usb2 on macs.
someone needs to beat up the company :eek:....it says "mac os compatible" lol

'bout damn time.
Good luck with your new Mac whatever you finally decide on.
Wish I could join you in the world of Apple.
Still gotta wait for ca$h so I can get my Cube.
i kno, its alot better deal than getting a superdrive cuz with a burner and 120 gig drive it will be about the same price

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC

someone needs to beat up the company :eek:....it says "mac os compatible" lol

well....while it is somewhat misleading, i'm pretty sure it probably is MacOS compatible...but what they don't tell you is that if you don't have USB2.0 then you are going to be stuck burning at 4x maximum. There are some great firewire drives out there. Especially the LaCie and Formac drives.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by sparkleytone

well....while it is somewhat misleading, i'm pretty sure it probably is MacOS compatible...but what they don't tell you is that if you don't have USB2.0 then you are going to be stuck burning at 4x maximum. There are some great firewire drives out there. Especially the LaCie and Formac drives.
ya, it probably would be slow :(....i've scrapped the usb burner (40x) and thinking lacie 48x cd-rw drive now...cuz of firewire...but its $100 more..ah well lol

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by sparkleytone

Standard USB can handle up to and sometimes over a 10x burner. That's only 1.5MB/S and USB is 2MB/S on a dedicated bus.

MacBandit

macrumors 604

i dont have a camcorder or anything :p...a combo drive emac will do good...ive never had a need for a dvd burner (since i got my dvd rom drive) since i dont have a big demand for dvd related stuff...just watch a movie when im bored n thats bout it...

I hate to point this out but you missed my point. I was pointing out that you can use the DVD burner for backing up data not video. Reread my post with this in mind. At less then 20 cents a gig it's a really cheap way to backup your computer data.

MacBandit

macrumors 604

ya, it probably would be slow :(....i've scrapped the usb burner (40x) and thinking lacie 48x cd-rw drive now...cuz of firewire...but its $100 more..ah well lol

External burners are such a rip-off. I just bought a 2nd internal for my tower for $57 40x12x48 Lite-on and is compatible with DiscBurner and iTunes out of the box.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada

I hate to point this out but you missed my point. I was pointing out that you can use the DVD burner for backing up data not video. Reread my post with this in mind. At less then 20 cents a gig it's a really cheap way to backup your computer data.
if i can find a place in canada that sells dvd-rom discs for 20-30c a gig i'll buy a dvd burner lol, the local computer store had like 50 bux for 5 dvds (4.7 gig discs)...and thats in CDN $$$$...and just checked their site and the cheapest dvd-r is $10 for one dvd :(

External burners are such a rip-off. I just bought a 2nd internal for my tower for $57 40x12x48 Lite-on and is compatible with DiscBurner and iTunes out of the box.
i know that external drives are a rip-off :(, internal drives are up to 75% less than en external drive, i could take full benefit of internal if i got a powermac...speaking of powermac, what brand of cd burner is fully mac compatible n fits perfectly in a powermac?

MacBandit

macrumors 604

if i can find a place in canada that sells dvd-rom discs for 20-30c a gig i'll buy a dvd burner lol, the local computer store had like 50 bux for 5 dvds (4.7 gig discs)...and thats in CDN $$$$...and just checked their site and the cheapest dvd-r is $10 for one dvd :(

i know that external drives are a rip-off :(, internal drives are up to 75% less than en external drive, i could take full benefit of internal if i got a powermac...speaking of powermac, what brand of cd burner is fully mac compatible n fits perfectly in a powermac?

There are a few brands. The Lite-On that I'm getting fits but you have to remove the door face (on the drive not the computer) which is easy it just pops on and off.

To find more just check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com and read the drive compatiblility lists.

Als to get DVDs for cheap check out.

http://www.supermediastore.com/

and

http://www.rima.com/

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
when u say popping off the door, does that mean the front of the tray drive?
and pretty good prices on dvd-rs..

if i was going to get a powermac..i'dd put in my 16x LG dvd-rom drive (ya ive been to xlr8yourmac.com b4)..

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i might be getting a powermac, cuz i was telling my dad that the powermac is well worth the money...even tho its expensive, and that the emac isnt that great unless i didnt want to use it much, and we'll have to wait and see what happens in a month, hopefully i end up getting an emac, even if i have to use the pc monitor for it...
i'll probably just use the ram it has in there, n when i have enough money i'll get 256-512 megs more since its pretty expensive (dont want to spend too much on the computer since even $2699 CDN IS expensive)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
i might be getting a powermac, cuz i was telling my dad that the powermac is well worth the money...even tho its expensive, and that the emac isnt that great unless i didnt want to use it much, and we'll have to wait and see what happens in a month, hopefully i end up getting an emac, even if i have to use the pc monitor for it...
i'll probably just use the ram it has in there, n when i have enough money i'll get 256-512 megs more since its pretty expensive (dont want to spend too much on the computer since even $2699 CDN IS expensive)

Okay this is just strange. You state that you might get the tower and that the eMac isn't that great (by the way knowing my dad saying that the other one isn't that great could really back fire on you) then you go on to say you hoep you get the eMac. I assume you mean the tower because then you state, "even if I have to use the pc monitor for it".

To your previous post about which door I was refering to. I don't want to get in your face again on this but you seem to really not read whole threads. I did state specifically the face off the CD-R drive.

Which ever you get I'm sure you will like it. Good luck. :)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada

Okay this is just strange. You state that you might get the tower and that the eMac isn't that great (by the way knowing my dad saying that the other one isn't that great could really back fire on you) then you go on to say you hoep you get the eMac. I assume you mean the tower because then you state, "even if I have to use the pc monitor for it".

To your previous post about which door I was refering to. I don't want to get in your face again on this but you seem to really not read whole threads. I did state specifically the face off the CD-R drive.

Which ever you get I'm sure you will like it. Good luck. :)
lol i was telling him that if i got the emac, it wouldnt be cost saving for me (cuz i'dd have to buy everything externally except ram) and i priced out an emac with some extra hardware to a powermac n they were near the same price at the end, and i was telling him that my dvd rom drive (purchased with bday money earlier this year) wouldnt go to waste....and ive used a powermac b4 and i fell in love with using them the first time i ever used one in august :)
im probably going to use the vga monitor (17") that i use with my pc since if we got a new monitor also, it would end up being $3000 CDN :(, but my dad may buy a monitor, but i dunno...
actually yes i have been reading the threads (carefully too), it just doesnt seem safe, since i paid $100-$200 CDN for a hardware device, n if i remove the face of the drive and the drive breaks...im screwed..thats y i was asking more about it...and ya i knew it was the face of the optical drive

MacBandit

macrumors 604

lol i was telling him that if i got the emac, it wouldnt be cost saving for me (cuz i'dd have to buy everything externally except ram) and i priced out an emac with some extra hardware to a powermac n they were near the same price at the end, and i was telling him that my dvd rom drive (purchased with bday money earlier this year) wouldnt go to waste....and ive used a powermac b4 and i fell in love with using them the first time i ever used one in august :)
im probably going to use the vga monitor (17") that i use with my pc since if we got a new monitor also, it would end up being $3000 CDN :(, but my dad may buy a monitor, but i dunno...
actually yes i have been reading the threads (carefully too), it just doesnt seem safe, since i paid $100-$200 CDN for a hardware device, n if i remove the face of the drive and the drive breaks...im screwed..thats y i was asking more about it...and ya i knew it was the face of the optical drive

The face is meant to be removable on the drive. I'll tell you more when I receive the drive. Should be here tomorrow.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
okie, when my hpee burner went dead (it was ejecting a disc) on hexpee, it wouldnt close, and i had to push the tray back in, and i noticed the door was a lil "wiggly", but i didnt know why, and i had to get the drive replaced (only had a few days left in warranty left) and got the replacement less than 3 days after i phoned them up...tonite i'll try seeing if my cd rom drive door comes off easily, if so, i wont need anymore help about how to get the door off....

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I installed the Lite-On drive in my new Dual/DDR last night. It was a breeze. I'm really impressed by the new case. Everything inside it has it's own carrier so if you want to remove it you unplug the device and take a screw out and slide the carrier out. You then can install your drive or whatever in the carrier without fumbling inside the computer.

The front cover on the Lite-On just pops on and off very simply.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
I installed the Lite-On drive in my new Dual/DDR last night. It was a breeze. I'm really impressed by the new case. Everything inside it has it's own carrier so if you want to remove it you unplug the device and take a screw out and slide the carrier out. You then can install your drive or whatever in the carrier without fumbling inside the computer.

The front cover on the Lite-On just pops on and off very simply.
hmm hopefully my LG does that too, i'll do some testing with an old spare cd rom drive, if it pops off, woo hooo, does the tray have to be opened to pop it off?

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada

Yes, I had to plug it into the computer and turn the computer on for power to eject the tray.
i'll have to try that sometime soon, hopefully i dont break the drive tho lol

MacBandit

macrumors 604
By the way I can now burn an MP3 or data cd in less then 2 Minutes and to complete verify and everything is less then 2.5 Minutes. This I find very impressive.

Also my CD ripping speed on my new Dual/Ghz/DDR went from a max of 24.5 near the end of a cd to 30.5 simply because of the faster read rate. Very cool.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
By the way I can now burn an MP3 or data cd in less then 2 Minutes and to complete verify and everything is less then 2.5 Minutes. This I find very impressive.

Also my CD ripping speed on my new Dual/Ghz/DDR went from a max of 24.5 near the end of a cd to 30.5 simply because of the faster read rate. Very cool.
wow
i tried taking off the the drive door and it seems to be stuck there :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.