Morning Paper bill arrived...$220/year

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Oct 29, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

ouch. didnt realize thats how much I pay for my local morning paper. i'm guessing most people dont get an actual copy of a paper anymore huh?

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I read it online. But I never go so much in-depth than with a paper version. Nothing compares with a paper newspaper and a coffee at breakfast :D

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You get it everyday?

4. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

yep delievered on the porch. and to be honest with you, a few days i read it and at the end i go (well i knew everything that was in here last night) haha. i guess its more habit than anything else. what else to do when eating cereal?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lol, think of it as $0.60/day. Also, it goes nice with the morning coffee.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My parents are still very old-school, the following get delivered daily:
    NYT
    WSJ
    Dallas Morning News
    Financial Times

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you forget the sunday papers always seem to cost mroe than the daily.
    If you get a paper from lets say the store it is like 50 cents a day for Mon-Saturday. and Sunday's paper is like 1.25.

I kind of like getting the daily paper. It is something nice to read with breakfast.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I just hope that as the daily print media fades into hisory, that we have some source of good, objective, doggedly-persistent journalism to keep the Fourth Estate alive and well.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think I paid about $35 for 13 weeks. When I renewed for another 8 they charged me $30. I didn't get the math of it and eventually went to their e-edition which is actually crazy nice sans ads (which I miss). That is $65 a year.

I wish they could let me read it on my iPhone though.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My dad has always worked around the newspaper printing industry so we always get ours free.

Don't think I'll bother with them when I get my own place. Might get Saturdays Mail (Weekend is a great TV listings mag after all).

13. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

but...you do get some great coupons in the paper...like the supermarket coupons... you can get $10 off coupons maybe like 10-11 times a year....and then all the other coupons can possibly add up to $30-$60 a year...so its not a total waste.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I haven't paid for a paper for years. Its out of date as soon as I get it. I rather read it online for free

15. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I get a daily phone call on my work line to renew the Times. I know because I made the mistake of answering it one day and memorized the number. They call, I ignore. Yesterday this call came in on an unknown number. Still the Times. I tell them I'm not interested. They then attach on free magazine subscriptions if I sign. Still I say no.

Must be a seriously tough fight in the newspaper business. I get my news as it happens..online.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I was getting the local newspaper after one of those unsolicited "knock knocks" for a local charity that gets $ for subscriptions.

I read maybe 4 newspapers, the rest went straight to the recycling bin. We finally canceled it, and I might even owe them money.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is, People have less "extra" money and given the fact that you can get the news on tv or the net means less reason to by a paper.

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

What crappy papers are in your area? Or do you mean it's day old by the end of the day you've received it?

Anyway, nothing beats coffee with a proper paper.

19. Love macrumors 68000

Love

My father doesn't get his delivered as he usually doesn't eat breakfast and- you know, I really don't know why he doesn't get it delivered. He would save a lot as he pays like $2 a paper. I'm just glad he reads the Calgary Herald and not the alarmist piece-of-****ing-**** Calgary Sun.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yikes. The local paper here is like $35/year. I can't imagine paying $220 for one!

21. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I would never get the paper daily, I read most stuff online, the one thing I would get would be the Sunday paper.

22. macbook yes macrumors 6502

you can get weekend papers only delivered in a lot of places. Although I just use google reader with a few local new sites as well as fun things and I get instant news.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

We get the Chicago Tribune delivered daily (Mon-Sun). Someone also usually picks up the Sun-Times from a stand every Sunday and sometimes during the week. So, we often have both major Chicago newspapers. We also get the local weekly paper delivered (Pioneer Press).

I don't personally pay for any of them...so it's all good right now. When I move again, though, I'll likely only get the Sunday Tribune delivered. Though, I wish I could get that and the Friday paper delivered. Friday has some great entertainment info and stories. Sunday is a beast with content...not to mention all the Sunday ads and coupons (and sometimes, product samples).

I get most of my news online and on tv. However, stories and editorials are easier and more pleasant to read in an actual physical paper.

24. Gregg2 macrumors 603

For only $35, that must be a small paper! I don't know what ours would be for 7 days a week. We get the Sunday paper only for about $115/year. You don't get the TV listings unless you signed up for it. Of course, it lists only about half of the channels we get, but most of the ones we actually watch. Plus you get all the sale ads and lots of coupons. It probably pays for itself.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, yes, it is a local paper after all. One of the big national ones is more in the $300 region, although I don't know for sure as I don't subscribe.