Moshi Cleargaurd on unibody MBPs, are the effective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blitzraider, Jan 24, 2009.

?

Is the Moshi Cleargaurd a good keyboard cover?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    84.5%
  2. Nope

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. blitzraider macrumors member

Has anybody tried the Moshi Cleargaurd on the new MBPs? Does it affect typing? Would the cover create any friction when typing? How about ventilation?

I would really apreciate it if someone could show me some pictures of actual usage, not just the photo on the Moshi website.

This is a fairly important question as I have read around these forums that the keys on the new MBPs get worn out really quickly, in the sense that the shine that appears on the black keys are really evident.

2. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the pix. Im surprised, It looked much nicer on the site. Is there some way to apply it to make it look clearer?

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Water.

The reason why it looks dusty is because I haven't washed for 3 months.

It's all clean now. Thank for reminding me to clean it. Just imagine how my keyboard would be without the cover.

4. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the tip, I hope I will remember when I buy it, hehe...

5. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I'm sure on the website it looked much thinner... like you can't even see it at all! thanks a lot for the pics. Could you please post a pic with it cleaned?! I thought it was really really thin... on the pics from the website you can't see anything!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. superwoman macrumors regular

I don't think the pix attached in #2 is moshi clearguard. It doesn't have the "moshi" insignia on the left of the space bar. There's a brand on the top of the arrow area, but I can't quite make it out.

7. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

zCover. I have the ClearGuard and it's every bit (well, almost:D) as good as the website's shot.

8. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Please post some pix

9. xenohawk macrumors member

xenohawk

Saw this thread reference on the Moshi Palmguard topic so thought of sharing it here as well. Check out the review on my blog or if you just want to see some pictures of it. ;)

10. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot, I thought it didn't look right!

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That keyboard skin looks NOTHING like the MOSHI ClearGuard... You're missing the inscription on the spacebar...
    In reality it's much thinner and doesn't stick out as much.. at least it doesn't on my MacBook..

Attached Files:

12. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, those are the type of pics I need to see to be confident in the purchase. Now I can't wait to get one and try it out. And also, I want to ask: Does it have that rubbery feeling on most keyboard covers that affect typing, and do you clean it from time to time and how?

Thanks Again:D

13. pavenger macrumors regular

I think I read somewhere in the Users guide/manual for my MBP that they say not to cover the keyboard. I believe, (though i could be wrong) that it has something to do with the fans and where the cooling system draws in cold air. has anyone noticed if sealing off the keyboard affects the temp at all?

14. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I don't actually take note of the temps, but I always take my ClearGuard off when my MBP is getting a bit steamy.

15. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

Well I will get a laptop cooler underneath so I guess it's ok

16. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

How easy are individual keys to replace if they take on that horrible shiny/greasy look that is being reported?
    Where does one get replacement keys (Apple Store, online suppliers?), are they just snap on/off, and... are they reasonably priced?
    Anyone know?
    I'm wondering if, for the cost of two or three Moshi guards one might buy over time, it's almost as economical to simply buy replacement plastic keys after a good period of use.

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I just got mine two days ago, so I wouldn't know anything about cleaning it :D They say you can just wash it with some soap and water and I intend on trying that once it gets a little nasty.

and NO, it doesn't have very rubbery feeling... I mean it's there, but because the skin is so thin it doesn't stick to your fingers or anything..

My fans seem to stay at about the same RPMs and I haven't really noticed any significant increase in the temps..

It is my understanding that the chiclet keys are a few dollars a piece, which would make them pretty darn expensive. Those slick spots on the keys are the reason I purchased this ClearGuard... I've only had this MacBook since November and I already have a few keys developing those oil marks that you can't wipe down. I wash my hands very often, but I guess they are just naturally more oily... :rolleyes:
    And why would you buy 2 or 3 ClearGuards? I'm planning on keeping this one 'til it wears out (especially since you can wash them) :)

18. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

thanks for the heads up on where you bought it, VSMacOne.

Did the macworld09 code work for you?

it seems like their website is the only place to buy it.

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I didn't try that code... It was posted after i put my order in.

20. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

It's not how clean or oily your hands are 100%. A lot of it has to do with your PH level of acid in your skin. If you have a higher amount of acid, it will wear the plastic faster., and you'd never know, your hands could be completely dry. High acidic levels will also cause the black pitting in the aluminum.

21. n8236 macrumors 65816

I voted yes, only because the palm guard has held up thus far, only a few months. Time will tell if it begins to peel and/or yellow.

Do NOT apply the trackpad sheet, it degrades functionality to a point of disgust. You can still move around and scroll, but if u try to click by tapping the pad, it will not work most of the time. The trackpad sheet is epic fail.

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ewww..
    Flash photography without a diffuser.. :eek:

23. blitzraider thread starter macrumors member

I just heard from a recent thread that the functions keys don't fit. Is this true and does it apply to the MBP

24. xenohawk macrumors member

xenohawk

Here is what Moshi has to say about it:
    I had been using it for a few weeks now and it's great. The slightly larger top row doesn't effect the functionality of the cover at all just maybe some slight cosmetic visible gap. Honestly from all the other cover that I tried this has the most transparency (both cosmetic and feel).

EDIT: Added picture showing the gap.

[​IMG]

Larger view here