Most Annoying iPhone 4 Annoyances

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amino Man, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Lets make a list of things that are minor issues, but are annoying at the same time. Please do not talk about the antenna here. I'll start the list. A few things that have been really annoying me about my iPhone 4.

1. After downloading an App, my iPod music stops (so does Pandora). Why does it do this?

2. Multitasking can be so helpful sometimes, but there are some apps (ahem, FaceBook) that I wish would go back to the beginning after every launch. I hate opening FaceBook only to find that it's still on some comments page or something. I just wanna open it and have it be back at the FaceBook live feed.

3. Putting Mail in landscape makes the text bigger. I want the text to be the same size and flow to the new landscape position, not magnify. It seems like I should be able to see more text when I put mail in landscape mode.

4. I wish Apple put together a list of ALL iPhone 4 apps that are built to have retina display graphics and/or multitasking/save-state functions. Apple has a list on the App Store, but it's only 74 apps or so. I feel like I'm missing out on some great apps because I don't have time to search through every single description looking for "retina display graphics" on every app possible. I know there's more than 74 apps that have been updated for the iPhone 4 because I've seen apps with retina graphics that aren't in Apple's list.

Anyone else want to contribute to my list?

2. Aaron1021 macrumors member

My biggest annoyance is that I can't have the ringer on and messaging to vibrate only.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mine is the prox sensor thing.
    It drives me nuts sometimes.

4. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Almost everything that's been said above, and one of my biggest gripes: why have vibrate if you can't feel it?

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think the spell check comes up with some whacky auto corrects

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That I had to jailbreak to get custom SMS ringtones. I hate the stock ones, and there's no earthly reason we should be stuck with them for four generations of iPhones. They haven't even added to the list of them in all that time, let alone let us create and use our own. It's a royal pain in the ass in a multi iPhone household.

Such a little thing, throw everyone a bone Apple! You let us have regular custom ringtones, why not for texts?!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was at a store today and got a text message with the "glass" tone and 4 other people whipped out their iphones to check too:D

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

+1!

To me, this is a ridiculous and unnecessary annoyance! My POS Motorola phone 4 generations ago allowed for this. I want to know who it is I am getting a text from in the same way I want to know who is calling me- hence, custom ringtones which i use to designate the people/type of call I am getting. I want the same thing for my text messages. For the love of God, this ain't rocket science!:confused:

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

Multiple notifications and no way to ignore them all. Once Rooms decided to notify me for each of the 19 lines of my IRC bouncer's MOTD and I had to click Close 19 times.

I hope they overhaul the notification system for the next major iOS update.

10. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Absolutely agree with this.

11. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Every since 4.0 update to mail I keep archiving emails instead of deleting them when I go to edit. It's out of habit I guess, but I don't know why they had to get rid of the trash button in the first place!

12. Rhndy macrumors newbie

+1, i hope WhatsApp adds a "silent" tone

13. jhjerlin macrumors newbie

Lotso, you can change the behaviour of the button under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > "preferred mail account". There you can toggle the Archive Messages on and off.

(one less annoyance :) )

14. Amino Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes! This drives me insane! The least they could do is give us some more choices.

Hahaha!

I thought you could use "none" as the message sound and then set the sound settings to vibrate and ring. This way, messages will be silent, but still vibrate and calls will be loud.

15. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

Definitely the proximity sensor is the BIGGEST.

I agree with the above statements about more flexibility in the audible notices. Like have an indoor alert ringtone and not one that Apple makes for you.

Since adding the multi tasking they should add a "kill all" apps instead of having to kill each one individually.

More ringtones!

I used my buddies Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, I really like the swipe typing feature or what ever it's called.

The auto correct typing sometimes aggravates me and I don't even know what they could do to fix this.

16. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

My biggest annoyance is that people want to see it so bad

17. AppleDNA macrumors newbie

The only thing about my iPhone 4 that continually bugs me is the inconsistency of the compass in Maps. At least once or twice a week I'll start walking in the direction it says to go, then after 50 feet it decides it was actually telling me to go the other way. I guess half of the problem is my complete lack of positional awareness in areas I haven't been to before :D but I digress. It also asks me to recalibrate the compass almost every time I use it.

18. shandyman Suspended

there's tons of ringtones! try itunes if you don't mind paying, make your own, or try audiko.net for tons of free ones, pretty much anything you want there to download and import.

as for swype, i couldn't care less about it, it just encourages laziness.

19. Aaron1021 macrumors member

No, I tried that. If you set the message ringtone to none, it doesn't vibrate either.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Beejive hanging all the time and hitting home key will not close/restart the app. Instead, you have to hit home key, then double click home, then manually kill app, hit home key again, then click on its icon to restart. There should be an easier way to force quit. Or, not allow some apps to multitask. What every happened to "if you have a task bar, you've failed"?

21. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

annoying annoyance is annoying.

yeah there's a lot of crap...my biggest complaint right now is probably the home key malfunctioning as a result of some JB function/app. Seems like nearly everyone who JBs has problems with their home key. It's a problem with activator, AFAIK.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I wish we could create profiles in regards to the ring and text tones. One for sleeping, one for work, etc. This is probably the thing I miss most about my blackberry. Custom text tones would be nice- I agree it's just stupid at this point that they have not been added to since the beginning.

I'm pretty damn content with the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 but when it comes to Apple, it's always those little, seemingly obvious things that keeps the experience from being 100% awesome. Sadly Apple feels like we are too stupid to be given the freedom to add more customization to our phones. If I was a simple user and didn't want to make profiles or have more SMS tones- then I would just stick to the default settings.

23. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

My annoyance isn't with the iPhone 4 but all all iPhone's. As many have already said, the fact we can't create custom SMS/Etc., tones. I can't fathom why this is lacking, has Apple ever made some form of official comment on this? It's not the end of the world, it would just be a bonus if added on. I would assume in terms of added features it's on the bottom of the list (if at all) for Apple to work on.

24. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

when i write "me" it auto-corrects it to "mr"

other than that i love this phone!

25. scootaru macrumors 6502

1. The phone makes too many rattling sounds, like when it vibrates or is laid on a table. Oddly enough, it doesn't do it when it is face down.

2. After double clicking to bring up the app switcher, a single click of the home button closes the app switcher AND the app running. I hate this. I only want the app switcher to close for a single click.