Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
doesn't matter, just hurry up ;)

i hope they will ditch dvd-rom, that would be turning point for me to buy!
the rest specs:
16gb ram
256 min SSD
750 HD
quad core in 13'

:apple: When is it coming?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
According to MacTracker, the current 15" MBP is 8,2 so the new one will be 9,1 - is that how it works?

If so then I'll be upgrading 6 generations in one jump :D - do you reckon I'll notice the increase in speed? :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wouldn't the new macbook pros/macs still be released in June because of Lion coming out during that period?

They could, but ML additionally ML could be released in September because technically that is still summer. The bottom line is we really don't know - given apple's secrecy

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Sheesh. Only the mobile ones are delayed. The only ones I care about. Nice to see a new Mac Pro coming though.

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
The main thing that differentiates the MPA from MBP is quad core CPU and discrete graphics with more ports, verses dual core and integrated graphics with smaller factor form.

The 13" MBP is redundant at this point unless you really need those extra ports. Unless they can get the quad core cpu and dedicated graphics in the 13" shell then they should just eliminate it.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
And of course, like the Mac Pro at the high-end, the ignored wildcard in this discussion is the Mac Mini.

imacs in March, Pros in April, MBP in May, minis in June.

The basis of my prediction is that I wish the order were reversed.

ipmasta

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Next Macbook Pros

I think they should keep the same or similar form factor and perhaps give the option for a second internal hard drive versus a dvd drive. I can part with ethernet however don't do make the macbook pro thin like a macbook air. SSD options are still too pricy. Im about to upgrade my 17" Mid 2011 Macbook Pro to a Seagate 750GB Hybrid Hard Drive.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
As it turns out, we previously reported that Intel's new Quad-Core Ivy Bridge processor will be heat efficient enough to fit in Apple's 13" MacBook chassis for the first time. The limiting factor for a Quad-Core 13" MacBook Pro had previously been the heat output of the processor. If Apple chooses to go this route, they could eliminate Dual-Core processors entirely from their MacBook Pro line, side stepping any delays.
Let us not forget a Mac mini with a quad-core and dedicated graphics.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro around this time last year so I'm not really in the market, but I'm ready to see some redesigned MacBook Pros! :D

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I’d guess that 13" MacBook Pro might itself be eliminated. With the new 13" Air, the presence of a 13" MacBook Pro seems kind of odd.

I hope not.. I have a 13 inch now and it's the perfect size.

My intention is to go with a new 13 inch MacBook Pro with the thunderbolt 27 inch peripheral screen and a 12 TB Promise Pegasus RAID system.. I'm also adding these wireless speakers from Klipsch. It's the perfect solution for me.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The 13" 'Pro' was never deserved of that title. 13" MacBook maybe but certainly had nothing Pro about it. I reckon Apple will do away with it at the next refresh and continue onwards and upwards for the new 15 and 17" MBP's it'll bring a little balance and distinction back to the line up.

The new MBP are sure to go down an absolute storm for everyone. Just wish I was in the position to purchase one!

Any Mac that lacks firewire isn't Pro by any stretch of the imagination. No firewire, no way of handling software like Pro Tools or Final Cut Pro. Without a secondary recording drive on a firewire or SATA bus, it's just a glorified netbook.

I know Thunderbolt has the potential to replace firewire and considering Oxford Semiconductor make the firewire chipsets and the controller chips in Thunderbolt cables, it's not beyond the realm of possibilty that someone will make either a 2.5" SATA to Thunderbolt enclosure with a Thunderbolt throughport for video or a breakout box with Thunderbolt and firewire.

Till that actually happens though, even the oldest Core 2 Duo Macbooks are more Pro from a connectivity point of view than the top of the range Macbook Air.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
My bet is that there won't be 15" and 17" MBAs.

They may "merge" the line from a design/marketing perspective, but I think the real pro machines will keep their dedicated GPU, and it wouldn't make sense to have a dedicated GPU and ULV CPU at the same time. Losing the quad-core, large storage and discrete GPU all at a time would be too much of a downgrade. I think they will be thinner since they will lose their optical drive and hard drive, but not Air-thin.

As for the 13", I think there will only be a MBA. A 13" MBP would only make sense if it had discrete graphics but I doubt that will happen. Most people have bought the 13" MBP this generation, and they will logically look forward upgrading to another 13" MBP, and wouldn't understand the price hike since it's not obvious that this time around it's targeted at real "Pro" users.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
i don't think the 13 in MBP is going anywhere. I mean, its sales are doing great plus there are a lot of people who would want a MBP but can only afford the 13 in version. Plus it has got good potentials with the upcoming ivy bridge. Nonetheless and more importantly though, can't wait for this year's redesign!!! :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Any Mac that lacks firewire isn't Pro by any stretch of the imagination. No firewire, no way of handling software like Pro Tools or Final Cut Pro. Without a secondary recording drive on a firewire or SATA bus, it's just a glorified netbook.

Not all Professions require firewire, Pro Tools or Final Cut Pro. You audio/video engineers really need to stop trying to claim you're the only pros around. :rolleyes:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
For the billionth time, MacRumors, the MacBook Pro isn't merging with the MacBook Air! The 13" model may disappear, but the 15" and 17" models won't lose their quad-core CPUs and dedicated GPUs in favor of a thinner form factor as too many people actually would rather those features than an ultra-light and ultra-thin notebook.

Couldn't agree more. Also, the MacBook Pro currently still represents 72% of Apple's notebook sales according to NPD.

IF the rumor is true and the lines do merge, it will be some time before it happens (more than a year).

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Not all Professions require firewire, Pro Tools or Final Cut Pro. You audio/video engineers really need to stop trying to claim you're the only pros around. :rolleyes:

In many ways, Apple is competing against "real" professionals. FCPX could become the MS Word of film making. Every obsolete profession once scoffed that technology couldn't replace their sacred talent. But technology only needs to displace them - not entirely replicate what they do.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Well if intel are talking custom x86 SOC then we should see intel inside iPad before we see OS X on ARM

From Wikipedia:
Broadwell

In keeping with Intel's tick-tock principle, the 14-nm shrink of Haswell is due out the year after the introduction of the microarchitecture and will be codenamed Broadwell.[16][17]
It is said to become the chip maker’s first true system on a chip (SoC) design.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
In many ways, Apple is competing against "real" professionals. FCPX could become the MS Word of film making. Every obsolete profession once scoffed that technology couldn't replace their sacred talent. But technology only needs to displace them - not entirely replicate what they do.

Why are you replying to me and continuing the farce that "Professional" only applies to video/audio engineers ?

Again, not all Professions and professional works with video or audio or requires Firewire and ODDs and Pro Tools or Final Cut.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Why are you replying to me and continuing the farce that "Professional" only applies to video/audio engineers ?

Again, not all Professions and professional works with video or audio or requires Firewire and ODDs and Pro Tools or Final Cut.

I'm right.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wouldn't the new macbook pros/macs still be released in June because of Lion coming out during that period?

I can't remember the last time Apple coordinated a new computer hardware release with a new OS. If anything Apple refrains from shipping x.0 versions in any computer hardware b/c usually many incompatibles exist w/ 3rd party s/w and h/w and Apple is all about user experience.

Holding back hardware also hurts revenue, and Apple is still primarily a h/w company (it's the source of the vast bulk of its profit for the nit pickers).

To that end, in recent history Apple likes to have biannual updates of its best selling computer hardware (MacBooks of all stripes, and iMacs). A June release wouldn't allow for that b/c you can't release new hardware in late Nov or Dec.

danvdr

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Usb 3

I believe that Ivy Bridge supports USB 3; will the next generation of Macs come with USB 3?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Bring on a new mini.

I used to look at it as a kind of sad stepchild of the Apple line, but the value in that little box is now amazing. If you have a monitor, why bother with anything else? I just wish they'd soup up the mini a bit more for a bit more cash, so it has the video/processor power of the iMac, but sans screen and optical and all the trim. 'Course I wish they also trimmed down the Pro Tower, now that TB allows much of that box to be purchased separately as peripherals nowadays.

I'm right.

Well, it depends on how Apple wants to label their stuff, but outside of video pros, I see almost nothing or anyone that utilizes FW any more. Almost all consumer peripherals are USB these days.

I'd hope Apple keeps FW on their computers for at least another 3 years, because I still use a decade-old FW iSight and decade-old FW video camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.