Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
What is the most reliable hub out of all the macbook hubs online. I need something that reads sd and usb 3 and lets me charge the laptop at the same time. or just usb 3 and charge the laptop but preferably all 3. What are you guys using.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I tried three. All sucked.

The most reliable hub is the Apple one. I bought mine used, which helped soften the blow.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I tried three. All sucked.

The most reliable hub is the Apple one. I bought mine used, which helped soften the blow.

To better inform people, what actually sucks about them?

USB-C as a standard is all over the place with compatibility issues, confusion & problems. From manufacturer using wrong spec, to bad cables and different supported modes. Even apple had to revise their cables as it was out of spec. Worst so far I've notice is the HDMI support.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
"USB-C as a standard is all over the place with compatibility issues, confusion & problems. From manufacturer using wrong spec, to bad cables and different supported modes. Even apple had to revise their cables as it was out of spec. Worst so far I've notice is the HDMI support."

In a word: yes.

Add to that many manufacturers released hubs that simply can never make sense. If you use the stock 29w charger you will never be able to support multiple mechanical hard drives on bus power alone...yet many hubs have three USB-A ports like they will all be useful. You'll find the OWC hub, and others which are stable, provide their own power adapter which is well above 29w, which makes those choices more plausible.

That issue, ADDED to the other flakiness, just makes it a bad environment.

Yes, the Apple adapter needed a firmware update. I guarantee no one else's adapter will ever get one, or even have a system for delivering one. That's why for now it's the only hub I'll use on the Macbook, because it is bulletproof.

Reactions: Trey M and ctyrider

Queen6

macrumors G4
From what I have read and experienced Apple`s. Agree there is a great deal of confusion over USB C, resulting many sub par products hitting the market. As long as companies continue to not explicitly adhere to the standard this situation will continue. Unfortunately this poor transition will negatively reflect on USB C slowing the general uptake in the long run.

As much as I would like to see USB C gain traction, after over a year outside of tech forums it`s still a nonstarter. I own a 1.2 rMB, travelling global for work purposes andI have yet to observe anything that can natively use the USB C port in over a year of use, nor do I anticipate this changing anytime soon.

Q-6

ncm34

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
San Francisco, CA
What is the most reliable hub out of all the macbook hubs online. I need something that reads sd and usb 3 and lets me charge the laptop at the same time. or just usb 3 and charge the laptop but preferably all 3. What are you guys using.

Got one from QacQoc for $45. It's a fairly sturdy hub with 2x USB3, 1x MicroSD, 1x SD, and supports pass-through charging. Fits flush on my 12" MacBook and the color matches perfectly (space gray). Have had it for almost two months now with no problems. The only thing I don't like about it is how hot it gets when the charger is plugged into it, so be prepared to use it on a desk or wear jeans if it's going to be on your lap.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
As much as I would like to see USB C gain traction, after over a year outside of tech forums it`s still a nonstarter. I own a 1.2 rMB, travelling global for work purposes andI have yet to observe anything that can natively use the USB C port in over a year of use, nor do I anticipate this changing anytime soon.

Q-6

It is going take several generations of products before usb-c begins to take dominance. Older usb technology has been around so long

Add to that many manufacturers released hubs that simply can never make sense. If you use the stock 29w charger you will never be able to support multiple mechanical hard drives on bus power alone...yet many hubs have three USB-A ports like they will all be useful. You'll find the OWC hub, and others which are stable, provide their own power adapter which is well above 29w, which makes those choices more plausible.

Yea but those usb-c hubs are likely also made to be used with other devices like chromebook pixel which has a 60W charger. It is pretty confusing. Some hubs will power the ports, while others only power the devices. You don't know about it until you read the reviews or comments.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
Got one from QacQoc for $45. It's a fairly sturdy hub with 2x USB3, 1x MicroSD, 1x SD, and supports pass-through charging. Fits flush on my 12" MacBook and the color matches perfectly (space gray). Have had it for almost two months now with no problems. The only thing I don't like about it is how hot it gets when the charger is plugged into it, so be prepared to use it on a desk or wear jeans if it's going to be on your lap.

is this bad for the co mputer... i dont wanna fry it?
[doublepost=1466337134][/doublepost]i see a bunch different manufacturers of that hub are they all the same? it has such bad reviews but that seems to be the best one.

at0m

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Anker or Hootoo? Not many out there now that supports Power Delivery passthrough for charging yet.

I have had the Anker premium one with HDMI for 3 weeks or so now and it's great. I got it on an amazon sale for around 40$. The only downside i've discovered really is the hub uses a little power for itself so it only delivers 21W for charging the macbook vs 29W. beyond a slightly longer charge time it's not a problem at all.

The USB Ports and HDMI all work flawlessly.

Reactions: in Cider

Queen6

macrumors G4
It is going take several generations of products before usb-c begins to take dominance. Older usb technology has been around so long.

Completely agree, as for many the current standards USB 3.0, HDMI etc are more than adequate, therefore I believe that the uptake of USB C will be far slower than that of USB A, which depending on the role of a notebook can make going 100% USB C a difficult choice.

Q-6

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I have had the Anker premium one with HDMI for 3 weeks or so now and it's great. I got it on an amazon sale for around 40$. The only downside i've discovered really is the hub uses a little power for itself so it only delivers 21W for charging the macbook vs 29W. beyond a slightly longer charge time it's not a problem at all.

Which version of the MacBook do you have? 2015 or 2016?
I've heard that the new MacBook has broken the compatibility with most third party hubs.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
"USB-C as a standard is all over the place with compatibility issues, confusion & problems. From manufacturer using wrong spec, to bad cables and different supported modes. Even apple had to revise their cables as it was out of spec. Worst so far I've notice is the HDMI support."

In a word: yes
Yes, the Apple adapter needed a firmware update. I guarantee no one else's adapter will ever get one, or even have a system for delivering one. That's why for now it's the only hub I'll use on the Macbook, because it is bulletproof.

Apple was smart to make the firmware upgradable.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

Does About This Mac->System Report show the firmware of the Apple adapter? Were you notified of the update?

in Cider

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2016

Another vote for the Anker w/ HDMI, it has worked flawlessly for me on a 2015 rMB.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Does About This Mac->System Report show the firmware of the Apple adapter? Were you notified of the update?
Yes, it will show the firmware number. The update came in April and it prompted a download when the adapter was plugged into the MacBook.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Curious as to what (if any) specific issue the update addressed? Were there release notes?
It was primarily to address compatibility with the 2016 MacBook by upgrading the firmware to conform to the final USB-C power delivery protocols.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

at0m

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Which version of the MacBook do you have? 2015 or 2016?
I've heard that the new MacBook has broken the compatibility with most third party hubs.

I have the 2015 Macbook 1.2Ghz. The only flakiness I see is that sometimes my monitor wakes up from sleep to a it a blue screen, I just put the screen back to sleep by pressing esc then another key again to wake it up. It's always fine on the 2nd wake up :) I don't blame the hub for this problem, I think it's because the monitor is to stupid to know that it can do more than 1080p on HDMI. I had to use SwitchResX to get the native 2540x1440 as it would only allow 1080p on the HDMI port. The monitor is a Dell 2711, Ideally I'd hook it up via the miniDP but there didn't really seem to be any hubs that actually exist with a miniDP port.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I have the 2015 Macbook 1.2Ghz. The only flakiness I see is that sometimes my monitor wakes up from sleep to a it a blue screen, I just put the screen back to sleep by pressing esc then another key again to wake it up. It's always fine on the 2nd wake up :) I don't blame the hub for this problem, I think it's because the monitor is to stupid to know that it can do more than 1080p on HDMI. I had to use SwitchResX to get the native 2540x1440 as it would only allow 1080p on the HDMI port. The monitor is a Dell 2711, Ideally I'd hook it up via the miniDP but there didn't really seem to be any hubs that actually exist with a miniDP port.

Not the monitors fault actually. For screen resolution.
Purchase HDMI 2.0 cable and you will be fine :)

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Anker or Hootoo? Not many out there now that supports Power Delivery passthrough for charging yet.

I have tried Minix, Hootoo and Anker. All were fine except that if I connect two SSD drives to the hub, data transfer between the drives is very flaky, ranging from not-at-all to extremely slow. Spinning HDDs tended to be better. Of the three the Hootoo fared best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.