Mother's Day Activity Challenge Will Require Apple Watch Owners to Finish 1-Mile Workout

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mother's Day takes place in the United States this Sunday, May 14, and Apple is gearing up to launch an all-new challenge in the Activity app for Apple Watch owners in order to celebrate the national holiday. The challenge will begin showing up in the Activity app this Friday, May 12, but will only be open on Sunday.

To accomplish the challenge, users will have to complete a walk, run, or wheelchair workout that lasts for one mile or longer on Mother's Day. Users who meet that goal will get a Mother's Day achievement in the Activity app, and a sticker to use in Messages. The challenge will only be available to Apple Watch owners in the United States (via 9to5Mac).

[​IMG]
    Mother's Day will mark the fourth public challenge that Apple has debuted for Apple Watch owners, coming after a 3.1-mile workout on Thanksgiving, an Activity ring competition in January to celebrate the New Year, and a 30-minute outdoor exercise on Earth Day.

[​IMG]

Apple Watch owners can track their Mother's Day workout through Apple's own Workout app, or using any third party app that can connect and track exercise data through the Health app. Similar to the previous Activity challenges, users will have only the designated window -- in this case, one day -- to complete their workout before the achievement and sticker are no longer able to be earned.

Article Link: Mother's Day Activity Challenge Will Require Apple Watch Owners to Finish 1-Mile Workout

2. jef82 macrumors member

Why only the United States? There are other countries in this world with this holiday :/

3. Bollockser macrumors regular

4. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Great, hopefully people get out and burn some calories. I can't imagine how this could a bad thing.

5. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I love Apples sense of inclusivity, with the mention of a wheelchair workout.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I usually like these challenges, but I think I'll spend that time with my mom instead.

7. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

8. asiga macrumors 6502a

A bitmap for walking. Do you remember when computers used to hold videogame characters parameters (lives, score, health,...) instead of our data from real life?

9. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

You could go on a mile-long walk with her and talk to her about what's new in her life (while secretly caring more about your proximity to receiving that rose sticker than anything she could possibly say [joking])

10. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Haha, I would love to but she's not one to usually go on walks or runs. She's more of a breakfast in bed type of person who sleeps late. That's exactly what we'll be treating her to this year :)

11. LordQ, May 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017

LordQ Suspended

LordQ

12. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Don't worry. I'm sure someone here will figure out how this is a bad thing before the thread hits a second page.

13. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Wow, people actually pay attention to these "challenges"?

14. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

easy!!! Just finished a 5K without stopping, and I'm not athletic
    Do another 5K like Thanksgiving

15. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

One mile?!

How about a real challenge?!

Perhaps Apple should tell people to not drink that soda or order that frappucccino.

16. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Would rather eat out with my mom instead - does that count?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is clearly a "take a walk with mom on her day" incentive, not a weight loss program. Not to mention that many people's mom's would have trouble going a full mile in the USA if they're over 60.....

18. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

I think it's embarrassing that corporations have to craft statements like this out of fear of offending a group that probably wouldn't (or shouldn't) be offended in the first place.

You call it "inclusivity" I'll call it "socially induced over-sensitivity."

19. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

It's probably easier to incentivize people to move than it is not to order a sugary beverage. In fact, with all of the mobile ordering apps available, it couldn't be easier to consume.

20. Relentless Power, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even so, the Watch can at least help motivate those who struggle with weight, and serve as a motivation device with fitness tracking.

There have been lots of Watch users who have lost significant weight loss with the aid of the Watch. It really is a useful tool.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds good, but one mile is not a work out… unless I was crawling.

22. Attirex macrumors 6502

I will do the mile in memory of my mother, who died in December.

/suckiestmothersdayever

23. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Sure, if you walk a mile to the restaurant. Lol
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    Sorry to hear that, but way to do something in her honor.

24. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

5K. The Thanksgiving one was 5 kilometers - not 3.1 miles - if they had intended imperial units they would have made it be 3 miles or perhaps 3.5 miles. Some news site called MacRumors even reported it as a "distance of 5K (3.1 miles)" at the time. 3.1 miles is a bit over 11 meters shy of 5K - nobody would announce/hold a "4.9889664 kilometer run", it was 5K. And measuring races/runs in kilometers is not an uncommon thing, even here in the US. Slavishly converting it away from metric is just silly - it's misreporting the news because you think it'll be easier for us to understand a dumbed-down version.

Oh great, now the rest of the world is looking at us funny. Geez.

25. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Fries with that?