Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidpwns

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Mad Mac Maniac said:
I did not think the commercial was effective as a commercial. Outside of taking a shot at Apple, there was nothing in the ad to give me any sense of WHY I should buy a Xoom other then "it isn't Apple". A better ad would have focused on what the Xoom does better then the iPad but they really didn't do that.

agreed. Honeycomb looks very impressive when side-to-side with iOS.... but they didn't capitalize on that at all...

Yeah, so true. They could have done a better job at demo'ing honeycomb and blew it..

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
For the ones thinking they thought it was an iPad, you mean the obvious word Motorola on the Xoom itself?

:D -- I think anyone thinking about a Xoom already knows what it does, IMO. There's YouTube videos all over the place. Even my in-laws YouTube. But the ones who remember 1984 probably got a kick out of it.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I thought the ad was really stupid and even embarrassing. Wish they didn't do it. I still prefer the xoom over the ipad though. Just a better device imo since I don't like ios and love android.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I thought the ad was really stupid and even embarrassing. Wish they didn't do it. I still prefer the xoom over the ipad though. Just a better device imo since I don't like ios and love android.

A device you - or anyone - has yet to use is a "better device"? I love my iPad but wouldn't venture to say "I love the next generation of iPad," when it hasn't even been released. How about sticking with "I prefer Android and am looking forward to its implementation in the Xoom"?

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
" Xoom, the only tablet to give the FULL INTERNET to you "

Does Xoom run Active X ? Does Xoom do Silverlight ? Are Active X and Silverlight part of the Internet ?

So it DOESN'T do the FULL INTERNET does it ? In reality since Xoom is not yet available for sale, it gives you Zero Internet. But I does promise to play Flash.

Ask an android user if Android does ALL Flash.

Yes, it is pretty stupid of Motorola to do it's Xoom site using Flash. That leaves out all non Flash users, whether their device is capable of running flash or not.

So because YOU love Android and dislike iOS, that makes the yet to be released or placed in the hand of a reviewer Xoom a better tablet ?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I liked the ad. I think it clearly demonstrates that we don't all have to be the same. That there are other options out there.

I'm very happy with my iPad, but I would certainly be interested in trying a Xoom.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I liked the ad. I think it clearly demonstrates that we don't all have to be the same. That there are other options out there.

I'm very happy with my iPad, but I would certainly be interested in trying a Xoom.

Nice to hear a level headed unbiased comment for a change :)

Personally, I believe all that's needed is some time. Sure Apple fans will poo poo and talk about fragmentation and marketplace and apps etc etc.

But I'm positive all this will come together given a little time.
Honeycomb is not even out yet, The 1st BIG tablet with be the Xoom, but there will be a small trickle followed by a wave of others that will grow and grow over the next 12 to 24 months.
Once these get enough sales, Honeycomb for many will be the norm and a alternative to Apple, the Devs will of course start to become interested in the platform, but again it's all going to take time

As it's not so tightly controlled as the iPad and Apple in general it's not going to be so clean and tidy, it will be a bit messy around the edges, but in a way that's the price you pay.

It's like humans, do you want to live in a world where everyone is under total control, must follow strict guidelines, but there is no crime, or litter, or dog mess.
Or would you rather live in a world where you are more free to do as you wish? Sure there will be crime, there will be litter and dogs will poo, but some see this as a price worth paying for the freedom it brings.

It's really too soon to call this, give it, I'd say, iPad4 time 2013, two more years and we'll have a better picture of things.
By then, perhaps we will have nice cheap Asus $199 honeycomb tablets, or perhaps the whole tablet fad will have died off.

No one really knows.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

In the Apple ad all the people were old and there was one woman, who stopped the "brain-washers," and stopped all the "controlling-ness." (it's ironic that Apple has become the controlling one, and Motorola, is, apparently, the free ones.)

But, in this ad, there is one man who is "free," and the ones being brain-washed are either: old men, with no hair, or a good looking woman, who have nice, blonde hair. So what are they saying? Fit people have a iPad (or fit men have Xoom's, if you're a woman), or fit people have the iPad and come over to the Xoom, leaving old men with the iPad.

I think they got freeness of Honeycomb, by the plain white suits and the "break free" message. But, unlike Apple's ad, they haven't got the 1984 book idea, it's looks as if it was just a copy of Apple's ad, not basing it on "1984."

And I agree, they should've just shown off Honeycomb: Xoom 99% with HTML5 and flash; iPad 25% HTML5, more maps, widgets and other cool Honeycomb stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.