Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider.com updates with rumors about the PowerBooks and iMacs.

According to the rumor site, Apple's release of PowerBook updates has been hampered by Motorola's inability to produce enough PowerPC 7457's. Similar claims have recently been made by MacBidouille

Appleinsider claims that initial plans for a PowerBook launch fell on WWDC, but has been repeatedly delayed. The site also mentions plans for an iMac revision, which was recently suggested by LoopRumors.

Both PowerBooks and iMacs are nearing the end of their product cycles -- as shown in our Buyer's Guide.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Jeez... how long are they gonna make me suffer with this crappy Windows XP notebook. I'm already on my third power supply and second wireless card, and this morning, the ALT key broke off.

I'm all ready to order a 17" Notebook.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Bad, bad Motorola. I hate you so much.

Arn, what is up with the buyers guide? Isn't this like the 3rd time the PowerBook has approached the end of its cycle? I know this has been a very hard product to get a hold on, but I thought the Buyers Guide had rules, so that the day a product went over the average update time, it would say don't buy. But I guess that simply isn't true.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Jeez... how long are they gonna make me suffer with this crappy Windows XP notebook. I'm already on my third power supply and second wireless card, and this morning, the ALT key broke off.

I'm all ready to order a 17" Notebook.

Ditto that, except a 15"...

I'd be happy if Apple could at least just announce it so I could order it. The anticipation is killing me here...

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Ditto to Mugbug

Motorola has been *the* reason that G4 has languished for all these years. G4 was announced and released in Fall of 1999. Apple has been stagnant in the processor wars ever since.

After Apple *finally* gets the PowerBook G4 and iMacs updated, Apple needs to aggressively plan to ditch G4 completely, whether that means staying at G3 or upgrading to G5.

Then Apple needs to deal exclusively with IBM for both G3 and G5 chips, and give Motorola the same finger Motorola gave Apple at the end of the clone wars...

Jaedreth

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Motorola...
Motorola!

MOTO I WILL STRANGLE YOU!!!!

ARRGGG!!!

Motorola For once, Stop god damn wasting everyones time and release the chips at the speed we want and just do it.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
give me a f$@king breaK!!! i don't care who apple wants to blame (ie: motorola) but in the end, why can't get their ***** together and release a product on time for once?! i've been waiting forever for a 15" albook and it looks like i'm gonna be waiting some more. i love apple and i ain't switching anytime soon, but for the company that's the most user friendly in the computer world, they sure are sorry when it comes to producing and distributing hardware!
sincerely,
tired of the same old "delayed again" story

Peej

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2003
LA, CA
Well......

At least now we have someone to focus our aggressions on. Of course, once we get them all out we're still left waiting for a revision that may take a lot longer than any of us expected. Additionally, if they're truly having trouble with the 7457's manufacturing, it certainly raises questions about their reliability.

bummed,

peej
:(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I knew it had to be some sort of delay. There's no way it would have been Apple's fault. No company wants to delay an update for this long. It doesn't make any sense for Apple, for their customers, or for their bottom line.

I want to beat Motorola up. They'll be random punches at anybody who uses the word "delay" in their sentence. I don't discriminate......I hate everybody at Motorola equally. :mad:

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Maybe this will help speed up development of the PB-friendly PPC 970. Although i guess IBM will have it as soon as is feasable..

What is the latest on the G3+Velocity Engine? I can't keep track of these processor rumors! :D

orangeclockwork

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
how much can we expect the new powerbooks to cost? Will they be the same as the current PBs and will the current PBs just get a huge price cut?

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Well yes BOO Motorola, we hate you, etc, etc. Let's look on the bright side - this might mean that the G5 PB development goes ahead even more aggressively! Sigh, how much longer do I have to wait for my new 12'' PB ... :(

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
This could also be a time for a "new" G4 with the IBM G3+altivec. Wouldn't that help everyone? Give IBM's new plant more business to keep them more efficient, give us a quicker and higher yield of products, less delays, more updates, show Motorola we don't need to deal with their BS, etc. It seems like IBM already has the ability to crank out G3s that could spank a Motorola G4, all they need is to add the altivec and they'll really fly.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Come on Motorola...:rolleyes: I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, waiting for a 17" Update, on which I will pounce, but until then, Apple isn't getting a dime of my money. The longer Motorola lingers, the madder we get...:mad:

sockseller

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2003
Minneapolis
If this is the case...maybe I'll hold off buying a Ti 15" another week or so to see if anything turns up...

If this report is true, then not only will the new Books be immediatly available at the announcement, but Apple doesn't really have any reason to wait another month and a half...

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Apple needs to move all of its lines away from Moto and to IBM. Moto has made it clear time and time again they will not put the resources into development that are needed for Apple to have a reliable partner.

BackCheck

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2003
Loch Sheldrake, NY
IBM outsourcing

Has IBM made G4s for Motorola before as an outsource?

I could have sworn they had - maybe not?

Otherwise, hand the plans to IBM. I bet they'll build all the 7557 G4s needed faster than Mot can (even with this late start).

nydoofus

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Re: IBM outsourcing

Originally posted by BackCheck
Has IBM made G4s for Motorola before as an outsource?

I could have sworn they had - maybe not?

Otherwise, hand the plans to IBM. I bet they'll build all the 7557 G4s needed faster than Mot can (even with this late start).

And probably produce a more efficent, lower power and faster processor to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.