Motorola Bionic: The iPhone 4/5 Killer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

As impressive as the iPhone is, the Motorola Bionic just looks amazing.

Quick Look at the Specs

iPhone 4 Screen Size: 3.5 inches
    Moto Bionic Screen Size: 4.3 inches

iPhone 4 Dimensions: 4.50 x 2.31 x 0.37
    Moto Bionic Dimensions: 4.96 x 2.63 x 0.54

iPhone 4 Weight: 4.8 Ounces (137 Grams)
    Moto Bionic Weight: 5.35 Ounces (152 Grams)

iPhone 4 Internet: 3G
    Moto Bionic Internet: 4G (10x Faster)

iPhone 4 Webpages: Supports HTML5
    Moto Bionic Webpages: Supports HTML5 and Flash

iPhone 4 FaceTime: WiFi Only
    Moto Bionic Video Chat: 4G (Anywhere!)

iPhone 4 Resolution: 960 x 640
    Moto Bionic Resolution: 960 x 540

iPhone 4 Capacity: 16GB or 32GB Flash Drive
    Moto Bionic Capacity: 16GB On Board (& Up to 32 GB microSD: 48GB Total)

iPhone 4 Camera: 5 Megapixel
    Moto Bionic Camera: 8 Megapixel
    (Although, the Bionic has more pixels, Apple has proved that higher pixel count does not equal to better quality)

The list can go on. Some more great features is that the Bionic has an HDMI output that can playback full 1080p.

I think what sold me about the Bionic, is the 4G, the Huge display, the great provider, and being able to Video Chat anywhere!

Honestly, I haven't owned an iPhone since the 3G (or was it the 3GS, i forgot), but if/when the iPhone comes out to Verizon, I'd rather get the Bionic (that is, IF I can afford it: $50 Internet?!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK3j38iZ0HE

Also, the HTC Thunderbolt, and the Motorola Atrix 4G are also possible iPhone 4/5 Killers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he1CWrL49yk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnw-G6Kf0QM

Any thoughts?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So, let me see if I've read your post correctly:

The Motorola Bionic: has a bigger screen (subjective), is 68% thicker, is heavier, has lower res and lower DPI screen.

The benefits are: video calling (yay...), flash (most android phones have this already).

1080p...on a low res screen. 4G is a proper plus, but who knows what is around the corner.

3. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Look at the iPhone killers: Moto Droid, HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy S, Droid X, HTC MyTouch4G, HTC Incredible, LG Optimus, Nexus One&S, T-Mobile G2, and so on. If all of them combined couldn't have killed the iPhone, this will not kill the iPhone. In fact Motorola is probably worrying more about Samsung, LG and HTC than they are worrying about Apple.

People tend to group the Android phone makers together as if they are some sort of friendly faction but the reality is they are fiercely fighting against each other first because they are all using the same OS. Apple will always have its own space guaranteed because it has its own OS.

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

If, for every iPhone 'killer', I had a dollar...

5. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Benefits: Video calling without wifi, 4g speeds, larger resolution, better service, more memory, HDMI output, real voice Turn by Turn Navigation, and Voice to Text.

The only reason as to why I would get an iPhone again, is cause of all the apps I have (126 and counting). But, I do plan on getting an iPad (hoping that once the 2nd Gen comes out, the 1st Gen gets a price drop).

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

It's almost eerie. The HTC EVO 4G was picked to be an iPhone killer last year precisely for the reasons you've listed, almost word for word. If that didn't happen then, what makes you think it'll be any different now?

Also your experience with Apple ecosystem is one of strengths of the iPhone business model. Motorola's fear is that it loses its sales to other Android phones because...well they are all using mostly similar software. Apple has its own ecosystem and nobody else can get it.

7. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

No OS is going to be killing another mobile OS (except maybe Symbian).

Can we all just get along?

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Motorola and NVIDIA really KICKED a$$ in this year's CES.

The recently announced Verizon iPhone and imminent iPad 2 announcement feels like a desperation from Apple to steal some of Android's thunder.

NVIDIA RACKING UP THE AWARDS

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/winner-winner-nvidia-racking-up-trophies-at-ces/

I am not really shocked by all of this because once I read more TEGRA 2 chips would power Android phones, I felt Android would have a big year in 2011. Not surprising at all and I've backed Android even before the G1 was released.

I would choose Atrix 4G simply because it will be on my carrier. Both the Motorola Atrix 4G and Xoom won CES best awards for their respective categories. TEGRA 2 will be everywhere this year and be the gold standard chip. If Apple doesn't have it for their next iPhone update, 2011 will easily become Android's year to really soar...

9. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I've noticed that the Droid phones are better at multitasking. I hate how the iPhone is app based, everything you do is based on opening or closing/switching to another app.

I love how the droids have widgets (i mean, my iMac has widgets, and the iPhone should also, don't know why it doesn't)

Plus, everyone iPhone is just doing the same thing, the only thing that has changed is the appearance, and a few specs. Other than that, it just feels boring half the time.

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's a pretty far-fetched claim. Negotiations for the announcement schedule of the Verizon iPhone was done last year and they must've prepared all thing well ahead of time; it has nothing to do with whatever happened in the CES unless you're claiming Apple has some clairvoyance to precisely see the "Android's thunder" before that happened.

11. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

For widgets, sure, it'll be nice to have them. But that last part is almost absurd. iOS saw some huge changes over the years in its backend.

The real difference is this:
    - Apple very carefully planned and laid out its UI scheme and design in 2007 and they stuck with that because they work. Just as they did with most of the OSX iterations.
    - Android in the beginning was so raw in its looks&UI and undecided in its direction that they had to make so much changes in each version. You do know Android began itself as a sort of Blackberry clone, right? Which means, just like when Windows went from 2000 -> XP -> Vista, they had to reinvent its look much more than Apple did so comparatively they look exciting.

12. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Bionic, Atrix, Thunderbolt: all have great hardware. One thing, we don't have any idea about the battery. 2nd, no idea on the software: honeycomb. Froyo is speedy but clunky. Adobe 10.1 flash is a mess and battery drain. The artwork of the os is awful. The "feel" or "smoothness" is not there. 4g is nice!! If only it is in every towns and cities, we can get rid of cable internet. I am mostly at work or at home and have wifi. Granted wifi at home is not always reliable. These new dual core phones are not out yet. iPhone 5 is 6 months away. I am hoping it will be dual or quad core (since apple makes its own chip). I hope it has 1 gig of RAM, better battery, 128 gig of memory, hdmi out(nice, not imp.), better cameras, better speakers, etc. Apple's ios is smooth!! Sure, it can use a better multi-tasker (esp. with dual core). A better way sys. for notification. Maybe Apple can make the iPhone to serve as the cpu like the Atrix phone. Apple should make the airplay more powerful. etc.

13. vant macrumors 65816

Yay another 'iPhone killer'. I think we are well into the double digits now.

Reminds me of the first iPhone killer... The G1.

Where is it now? Oh right, it went on hiatus for a while and released as the G2 last year (which sold for $50 on contract last month).

What was after that? The Droid? Storm? Pre? Nexus One?

Fact is, the iPhone is still the #1 selling smartphone. #1 wanted smartphone. #1 copied smartphone. #1 supported (accessaries) smartphone.

The fact is, if Apple decided to allow iOS to be installed by other companies it would easily fly to over majority in terms of OS. But achieving most used OS was never their goal. Their goal was best user experience, and judging by the fact that it is still selling after 4 years with little changes to the GUI, they have achieved it.

Any smartphone user can recognize an iPhone. They may not know if it is a 3G or a 3GS, but they definitely know it's an iPhone. I can't say the same for the DROID 2 or the EPIC 4G. With more and more Android devices coming out, it is going to be even harder to recognize android phones.

What is more astonishing is the fact that they did this to the US market being trapped on one network for four years. Amazing. It took Google four years to finally outsell Android with countless manufacturers and networks? That's nothing to be proud of.

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.1; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRH78) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

There is no iPhone killer. The phone is here to stay.

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

The G1 came out in, what, 2008? Allow me to quote old articles and list iPhone killers from 2007. ;)

"Samsung unveils its iPhone killer" - Samsung F700, Feb 2, 2007
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9010942/Samsung_unveils_its_iPhone_killer

"Verizon claims latest LG offering is an "iPhone killer"" - LG Voyager VX 1000,, Oct 4, 2007
    http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...ms-latest-lg-offering-is-an-iphone-killer.ars

"Product Review: Nokia’s iPhone killer?" - Nokia N95, Aug 30, 2007
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/product-review-nokiarsquos-iphone-killer-1068529.html

"Microsoft's iPhone Killer Unveiled - HTC Touch" - HTC Touch, June 6, 2007
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-039-s-iPhone-Killer-Unveiled-HTC-Touch-56548.shtml

"The iPhone Killer Lands at 3GSM" - Neonode N2, Feb 16, 2007
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/talk-backs/the-iphone-killer-lands-at-3gsm/

"LG-KS20 - the new 3G iPhone Killer from LG at the IFA 2007" - LG KS20, Aug 29, 2007
    http://www.i4u.com/15193/lg-ks20-new-3g-iphone-killer-lg-ifa-2007

There must've been more but I'm already overwhelmed by the number of attempted murders on the iPhone, and that's just from 2007.

16. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

+1

hate to say it, but the iphone has pretty much owned everything. Companies like Nokia that have been around for so long are having a very tough time trying to survive right now. This is based on personal opinion- but I think even the ever so popular blackberry may be/may start struggling with apple competition. (I had a blackberry before my iphone lol... Might have considered once or twice goin back but once I saw the lag on the torch... highly doubt it...)

17. vant macrumors 65816

I wouldn't count any of those except for the touch and the N95. Both of which never took the spotlight as well as the G1. I think the G1 actually inspired fear in Apple minds.

I think the most feared iPhone killer however was the Storm. A screen as a button? NO WAY!!! Blackberry security? WOOHOO! But then everyone tried it and realized it sucked balls.

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.1; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRH78) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Surely the only way the "iPhone killer" moniker can be used against the competition is if the companies involved in the product come out and say it?

Have any manufacturers directly used "iPhone killer" in their press releases or events? Utter fail to them if so.

If it was written by some random tech blogger, then people should slate their flawed opinions.

19. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

*sigh* is it that time of year again already.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

First 3 specs killed it for me. Too big and heavy.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Regardless of the success/failure of Moto's Bionic, I'm tired of these iPhone killer tags.

I think we all see that there's enough market for both Android and iOS.

22. brando123b macrumors regular

Sigh. It won't kill anything.

You know why nothing kills the iPhone? Because this is how all the other phone manufacturers approach design:

"Let's have a 5" screen, 78 core processor, 92 megapixel camera, 12 terabytes of on board memory, satellite up-link, there goes the budget, see if we can throw some OS on there with a poor keyboard, sloppy app store and disjointed, fragmented user experience"

There is a reason Apple ONLY JUST got a 5 MP camera on the iPhone. They take their time to make sure what they do is perfect. Elegant and superior to the competition.

This is why in ANY arguement there is only one thing you ever have to say "Yeah but it's the iPhone" and you win. It is just that good.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

to me once you go over 4 inch it just seems to big. Honestly I find 4in screen to be the sweet spot. Apples 3.5in is to small.

Also Apple DPI closed the point of no gains pretty quickly. The 800xX seem on a 4in screen is just fine for me in terms of DPI after that point the gains are very little.

24. TonyJack macrumors newbie

I totally agree. Who cares!? If X is the best phone on the market, there will always be the X killer phone that comes out. It's so stupid. In reality, how many people utilize their phone to it's full capacity? Companies market towards the people that have to have the newest and "best" phone and that love telling everyone what they have and what it can do even though they only use it to call people, check their email/facebook and surf the net.

25. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Motorola Bionic: Android
    iPhone: iOS

iPhone win.

Not to mention the iphone won in almost every category YOU listed other then LTE.