Motorola denies E1060 is iTunes Phone

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Wow. We've all been worked up over nothing. This should be updated on the MacRumors homepage.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Interesting.

A Motorola spokesperson noted... that while iTunes was shown off with the E1060, this was a special case meant just for the demonstration. "E1060 was used to demonstate iTunes client; however, it is not our iTunes product."

...In an Apple-like fashion, Motorola is keeping the first iTunes enabled phone under very close wraps. While Motorola wanted to show off the software, it appears the company wanted to keep the device secret."

Note that there is not just ONE iTunes phone. Motorola plans to put iTunes on the whole lineup--so that will presumably include the E1060 when it happens.

But there does seem to be a FIRST iTunes phone, and apparently a big enough deal to make Moto wait and not put iTunes on the others until later.

So I guess that Apple-designed phone rumors must return for a while... I'm skeptical, but it's possible.

(PS, I never minded the look of the E1060 :) It's not Apple-like, and I'd rather the green were red or yellow--but it still looks nice to me.)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it will be interesting to see what phone they go with, and to see how much of the line up ends up getting iTunes ability.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
The widely publicized E1060 phone previewed on Monday is not actually the upcoming iTunes-compatible phone from Motorola. Macworld.co.uk notes:

This is not the case, a Motorola spokeswoman told Macworld: "The E1060 is not the new iTunes phone. This product was used only as a demo to showcase the iTunes application."
They cite competitive reasons for not releasing the details on the new phone, but it is said to be released "in the near future".

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
shame, I liked it. and I'm soemone who has the free phone you get when you sign up for a plan and I'm very happy with it. I can throw it on the ground repeatedly and it still works. Sturdy, makes calls well, does one thing well. Sound familiar?

But as someone with the stock phone and happy with it, the multiple cameras and video conferencing sounded promising and more practical on thi one instead of being a gimmick. besides that, I liked that black with green stripe. It looked sharp to me.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Doesn't affect me, I really don't need to use the ITMS soooo badly that I need access to it on my phone. :rolleyes: Plus I have an iPod to play my music.

None the less, I am sure there are people out there to which this concept appeals to, me, I'll take my free samsung a670 from Verizon, and invest in a new iPod or something else.

/hates cell phones

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i am just wondering how apple-esque the first iTunes phone will end up being, im sure that apple will have a say in part at least with some of the design so it will be interesting to see, also i wonder how many other Moto phones will see the iTunes feature and how fast it will spread through their lineup

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
great news! Let's see what other hideous phone they can come up with now.

davey-nb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NORTH America
ipod phone?

Anyone think there's a chance this could be an ipod snap on device?
I saw a mockup here some time ago and it aroused me in a shameful way.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
As I understand it, that phone WILL have iTunes--the whole line will. But not yet, apparently.

It CAN run iTunes--they've shown it--so if that's the plan, why wait? Why omit iTunes for now?

Wild speculation: they are waiting so that the mysterious never-seen "first iTunes phone" can make a bigger splash. Then AFTER that, "the rest" (including this E1060) can get iTunes installed.

Wilder speculation: they are waiting because Apple wants them to--because Apple has a role in the hardware of this particular never-seen phone :)

I know--too much to hope.

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
Great news! That green one was terrible and very unlike Apple, I wouldn't be suprised if the Apple ones have a Apple designed UI as Motorola's have been criticized in the past they may also take a leaf out of Apple's design book.

Another point: according to engadet there will be more than one version of the phone, there are likely to be a group of them like the upcoming Razr thin group of handsets.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Why didn't they make this clearer in the first place? Kind of amateurish.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Trowaman said:
Sturdy, makes calls well, does one thing well. Sound familiar?
Yeah, sounds like an ex-girlfriend of mine.
Seriously though folks, I'm SO happy that wasn't the iTunes phone. That would've been a huge mistake.

Lee Tom

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Well, least we know that it can use iTunes.

I kind of want a Razr, but with 5 MB of memory, it kind of kills the iTunes ability.

Edit - Hey, if Motorola is so buddy-buddy with Apple, making an iTunes phone and making the G4 processors, why the hell can't you properly sync a motorola phone via bluetooth with iSync!?!