Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misplaced Mage

macrumors regular
What I find more interesting is that Motorola spent the time, effort, and money to integrate a Real player into their phone software in the same way they did an iTunes player. By all accounts, the later was non-trivial due to the need for it to handle normal phone operations, like a call coming in while the music is playing.

Since Motorola had already integrated a Windows Media player, they've now completed the DRM trifecta: PlaysForSure, FairPlay, and Rhapsody. Unless Zune makes a real dent in the marketplace with it's non-PlaysForSure DRM scheme, Motorola's set no matter which DRM scheme or online music storefront for phones dominates.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
MisterMe said:
Don't you people read anything other than rumor sites? Within the last month, Motorola announced the iTunes-enabled RAZR V3i.

yeah, i actually read the rumor before it was released :) (on a razr site)

not gonna upgrade, though. while i'm fond of the razr's form, its functionality and durability are subpar.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
apple needs to remove the restriction on how many tracks can be stored on the third party phones. let end users actually put however much ram in them as they want.

if they did that, i am sure that some of these phones would sell better.

but to be honest... i dont want a cell phone that plays music.

i want a Ipod, Treo replacement, that also takes nice pics. all in one? hell yeah

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
mdntcallr said:
apple needs to remove the restriction on how many tracks can be stored on the third party phones. let end users actually put however much ram in them as they want.

if they did that, i am sure that some of these phones would sell better.

but to be honest... i dont want a cell phone that plays music.

i want a Ipod, Treo replacement, that also takes nice pics. all in one? hell yeah

If the V3i for example could hold 1,000 songs and its price was a little lower, we'd be seeing three times as many RAZRS, as popular as they are. And, the iPod would probably go away. However, if they did make their own iPhone with an unlimited iTunes in it, then that would definitely sell very well and work out for Apple. That's why they're doing this.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
chasemac said:
I hope iTunes doesn't look as ugly as it does now. Change it. Forget the phone!!!
i think leopard will share some of this look. kinda feels xp' ish in a way. I was wishing for chunky metal or custom textures :(

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iMacZealot said:
If the V3i for example could hold 1,000 songs and its price was a little lower, we'd be seeing three times as many RAZRS, as popular as they are. And, the iPod would probably go away. However, if they did make their own iPhone with an unlimited iTunes in it, then that would definitely sell very well and work out for Apple. That's why they're doing this.

Pretty sure there aren't any 4GB microSD cards getting around. 1GB maybe, but not 4GB.

So when push comes to shove unless you want internal, non-removable memory (not a problem in my opinion but others may like to take their cards out) you're stuck with a max of around 240 songs anyway.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
OdduWon said:
i think leopard will share some of this look. kinda feels xp' ish in a way. I was wishing for chunky metal or custom textures :(

Right! There was an obvious compromise with iTunes and the "movie store"!! Movies are great but why f it up? Sorry. I see a direction I don't like.

kadajawi

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2006
I really like it. Cool design. The RAZR style buttons are the best thing on the Razr phones, like em too. Actually, the buttons were the only thing good on the phone, the rest was pretty ugly. And I just LOVE big touchscreen displays. Who the hell wants buttons anyway? Ok, probably the display isn't that big, they could have integrated a bigger display on that thing. And as long as it plays ordinary MP3s, maybe Ogg Vorbis too, I'm happy. If the sound quality is good, and the MP3 player UI is good (usable from within the pocket without the danger of calling someone accidentally etc.).

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
kadajawi said:
I really like it. Cool design. The RAZR style buttons are the best thing on the Razr phones, like em too. Actually, the buttons were the only thing good on the phone, the rest was pretty ugly. And I just LOVE big touchscreen displays. Who the hell wants buttons anyway? Ok, probably the display isn't that big, they could have integrated a bigger display on that thing. And as long as it plays ordinary MP3s, maybe Ogg Vorbis too, I'm happy. If the sound quality is good, and the MP3 player UI is good (usable from within the pocket without the danger of calling someone accidentally etc.).

Go buy it and get the **** out of here!!!:) Can you here me now?:)

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
when will moto finally get some clear direction? itunes, real an windows media, proprietary OS, Linux, windows mobile and at one point Symbian as well... choose on for peats sake! :mad:

I really hope Apple releases a phone now, while a lot of people are saying they dont want a mp3 player in their phone over here its fast becoming a base requirement for a phone, the ipod has just started to get some atention in our market, i would hate to see it suffer so soon.

snack

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2004
Style: Hit and mostly miss

I dislike Moto's brand, particularly that conspicuous badge. I could never own a phone which presented that hideous logo so forcefully. That M shape has bad feng shui. :p

Minus the badge, the idea behind the phone's industrial design is on the right track, I suppose.

The UI is a whole different matter. I'd like to see Moto pull off this touchscreen thing. Honestly, they are ridiculed for their sketchy OS, so I am not expecting ground breaking innovation.

The similarity to the "iPhone" mockup is interesting though. Is Moto's device the iPhone (unlikely, we hope not), will Apple release a device and if so, will it be based on Moto's technology? Time will tell, and I can wait.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
just wish they'd hurry it up

My T637 is really getting long in the tooth. I won't touch a Moto phone, though, till they get them to sync via iSync thru Bluetooth and do something about reception. Hard to say I love a cell phone, but I am pretty fond of my SE...

Z

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
mahonmeister said:
From my experience, Real Player sucks. They make you pay to view some of the videos and the player was quirky. No thanks. They can keep their Rustr or what ever they're calling it now.

I disagree - Rhapsody has an excellent interface and I would say even beats iTunes hands down. If they ever come out with a Mac version of the Rhapsody client, I would join. And if Real-powered phones work seamlessly with Rhapsody's subscription DRM, I would be very tempted to buy such a phone.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Chundles said:
Pretty sure there aren't any 4GB microSD cards getting around. 1GB maybe, but not 4GB.

So when push comes to shove unless you want internal, non-removable memory (not a problem in my opinion but others may like to take their cards out) you're stuck with a max of around 240 songs anyway.

There are already 2GB microSD cards, but Verizon Wireless has an exclusive deal with SanDisk where for now they can can only be sold in Verizon Wireless stores (intended for use with the LG Chocolate phone and selling for about $100). I'm not sure when the 2GB cards will be available in other stores.

spyinthesky

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
London UK
When I heard that the phone has a remarkably similar look to the iPhone renditions I was worried there for a moment. However all I can say is if people think that is similar to those renditions or that is how an iPhone (a present iPod indeed) will/does look then either I or they need new glasses. I am happy to bet it is they.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Chundles said:

There are these crazy little things called hard disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.