MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TGDaily reveals some FCC documents that a new Motorola Rokr phone will take a significant departure from current models.

The new phone is depicted in a black enclosure with a large touch screen and a "central track point" which resembles an iPod. In fact, the photos of the upcoming Motorola Rokr bears a surprising resemblance to our Apple phone artist rendition.

Beyond that, the Motorola Rokr is said to be dropping Apple's iTunes media player in favor of Real Networks' Real One player. This news comes amidst ongoing rumors of Apple's entry into the cell phone market.

Motorola has been the only cell phone manufacturer that has been licensed by Apple to play iTunes protected songs, but their first iTunes phones were met with poor reviews. It's uncertain if this news means that Motorola is planning on dropping iTunes support entirely or simply on certain models.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Motorola must know that Apple is coming up with a phone of their own. How else to explain going from iTunes to Real?

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
While the phones look alike, I don't think our sources were mistakenly describing the Motorola phone.

Not sure what that means, or if it was just a coincidence.

Could this be because of Apple not licensing iTunes to Motorola anymore? Could Motorola and Apple somehow be collaborting otherwise? Very interesting...

arn

Comment

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
Looks like Apple has something big enough coming out that it'll wipe out its own iTunes phones.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The original ROKR phone with iTunes would have been the perfect design for the Real Networks service. It would have been a perfect match.

I would like to thank Motorola for making that phone and getting Apple to make their own phone.

Comment

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
arn said:
While the phones look alike, I don't think our sources were mistakenly describing the Motorola phone.

Not sure what that means, or if it was just a coincidence.

Could this be because of Apple no licensing iTunes to Motorola anymore? Could Motorola and Apple somehow be collaborting otherwise? Very interesting...

arn

i agree, this seems very interesting. i think that Motorola knows that Apple is coming out with a new phone soon, so that's why they are leaving itunes

Comment

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Ditching iTunes for Real? Wow...

I haven't played with the iTunes Motorola phones much, but the UI didn't seem to make me run out and replace my Razr + Nano.

Comment

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
From my experience, Real Player sucks. They make you pay to view some of the videos and the player was quirky. No thanks. They can keep their Rustr or what ever they're calling it now.

Comment

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
If it's true, if Apple is going to release an iPhone, I hope the do it within the next 30 days. I just upgraded to the Samsung T609, but like with any phone, I have 30 days to return it and downgrade back to my old one. And I'm not gonna lie, I would love an iPhone.

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
NewSc2 said:
Ditching iTunes for Real? Wow...

I haven't played with the iTunes Motorola phones much, but the UI didn't seem to make me run out and replace my Razr + Nano.
Don't you people read anything other than rumor sites? Within the last month, Motorola announced the iTunes-enabled RAZR V3i.

Comment

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
The ROKR E1 is the only one intended for the US...the E2, E3, and E6 (described in original post) are for China, and they have been using different music players there. No need to get all hot and bothered...:rolleyes:

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
iMacZealot said:
The ROKR E1 is the only one intended for the US...the E2, E3, and E6 (described in original post) are for China, and they have been using different music players there. No need to get all hot and bothered...:rolleyes:

So why does Motorola need FCC approval for a phone targeted for China?

arn

Comment

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
arn said:
So why does Motorola need FCC approval for a phone targeted for China?

arn

I read on Engadget Mobile that it's probably set for China because that's where the other ROKRs have been selling and the only american band is 1900, and Cingular, who's been getting all the iTunes phones here, runs on both 1900 and 850, so it's not destined for here unless if they have some out of left field deal with T-Mobile.

Comment

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Who cares - motorola have some good industrial designers - really up there with apple's elegance, but their phone OS is the ugliest, non-intuitive, laggy POS interface out there.
I wanted to like them - but they just seem to be lagging in the software department. You could tell steve hated them too - he looked like he wanted to smash that ROKR when it wasn't working properly in his keynote demo.

I hope if apple makes a phone, their interface takes a page from the SonyEricsson phones. Much easier and nicer to look at.

Comment

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
People, these new ROKRs have new interfaces based off Linux...take a look at it here. Although Phone Scoop says in its article about the E6 that it is destined for China because of a pen-based Linux OS....hmm.

Comment

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
What's the deal with using the RAZR style buttons? I'm not usually one to call things ugly, but those things are plain ugly. I got an E815 instead because I couldn't stand the way the RAZR looked.

Comment

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
the new 007 movie comes out here on nov 17 ,the same dayas ZUNE i think. Wouldn't it be great if apple showed off their iPhone in the theater as James Bond's new gadget ;) lets hope zune dosen't try first. :D

OdduWon

Comment

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Macrumors said:
Beyond that, the Motorola Rokr is said to be dropping Apple's iTunes media player in favor of Real Networks' Real One player.

Oh yeah. That will sure attract a drove of customers. :rolleyes: :D

Adding a music player known for spyware, who needs the NSA? My phone can spy on me itself!

Comment

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
OdduWon said:
the new 007 movie comes out here on nov 17 ,the same dayas ZUNE i think. Wouldn't it be great if apple showed off their iPhone in the theater as James Bond's new gadget ;) lets hope zune dosen't try first. :D

OdduWon

It's be MUCH MUCH cooler if they had Connery. Hell, Timothy Dalton'd be better than Blond Bond!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.