Motorola SLVR L7 with iTunes (Photos)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget posted photos of the Motorola SLVR L7 -- an upcoming cellphone which also incorporates iTunes support.

Nothing too unexpected — it has just about the same user interface as the ROKR E1 (though the menus are slightly less sluggish) and it has Bluetooth, a VGA digital camera, and a TransFlash memory card slot for storing up to 100 iTunes tracks, but there is one real surprise: the phone doesn’t have a headphone jack. Seems a bit odd for a phone with iTunes, but we’re hearing that Motorola will offer Bluetooth stereo headphones.
The phone follows the widely criticized ROKR Motorola phone which first introduced iTunes on a cellular phone.

Meanwhile, Sprint has joined the fray with their own music phone service which offers over-the-air song purchasing.

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2003
Talk about dropping the ball on this one. You can obviously tell that Apple, more or less, jumped in the music/cellular market because it was simply obvious that it was/is going to take off. Creating a device that does multiple things, such as this, should really have been a pinnacle product. Instead, it's laughable.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Bluetooth headphones sound cool, but from everything I've read Moto will sell mini USB headphones that work with it as well. Damn damn damn. Wish I wasn't with T-Mobile.

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
if you guys look closer you will see that this phone is actually thinner than the RAZR, which is already really thin. So this is no not the best, and no not good enough for me to get rid of my 710a from Sony Ericsson, but it does look lightyears ahead of the ROKR.

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
Bluetooth headphones sound cool, but the price premium you will pay for them will not make it worth it, same (but to a lesser extent) with the USB headphones.

100, songs? they have 2GB SD cards readily available these days, why not give it capability for one of those?

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
What's w/ the VGA camera? Moto hasn't figured out a way to a mp camera in their phones. Btw, does it have USB 2.0 already and is it iSync compatible?

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
aussiemac86 said:
100, songs? they have 2GB SD cards readily available these days, why not give it capability for one of those?
That would put it in direct competition with the Nano, which Apple can't allow. I'm willing to bet that once the Nanos reach 4/8 or 8/16 GB, suddenly iTunes on mobile phones will allow for more MP3s.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I thought the ROKR was a hideous, awkward thing, this looks very similar but at least is a step in the right direction, by attempting to make it look a little sexier. I just can't believe the would release something as ugly as the Rokr.

MCroft

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
Houston
Will Verizon get them to cripple it?

Motorola Verizon Bluetooth phones have not historically had a full implementation of BlueTooth, because apparently Verizon is willing to trade customer satisfaction to prevent the "lost sale" of me making my own ring-tones.

Before anyone gets it, make sure it can do what you'd like to do. If, for example, you want to transfer your address book to your car or to your Mac, make sure they haven't disabled that function.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Meh

iTunes needs to get into phones as a side feature that nobody cares about. All Moto phones (Apple could add more brands, too, even get all Cingular phones) should have iTunes. The ROKR was hideous, this less so, but still ain't buying. The PEBL looks hot but a bit low-tech, and the next RAZR doesn't look as good as the first one.