Motorola Xoom Tablet (Android 3.0 Honeycomb)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Jan 6, 2011.

1. BergerFan, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This hands-on looks very good indeed, (albeit only videos of the UI on the device so far) and I like how someone other than Apple has realised that a screen with a 16:9 ratio sucks for a tablet. Okay, it's not the best compromise of 4:3(in my opinion), but a 16:10 ratio is a step in the right direction.

I'm surprised Google didn't name it the Nexus Tab or something, to have some kind of continuity with their smartphones. :D

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Indeed, it looks like moto (and presumably others) have taken their cue from apple and designed some great tablets. It remains to be said if functionally they surpass apple's but for Xoom, it does have promise.

3. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's nowhere near enough to tempt me from my current iPad, nevermind the next generation, but it's good to finally see some decent competition stepping up to the plate.

4. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

Android to me is overhyped and used way too much. If you ask me it is slowing down innovation Because everyone is using android for their os for everything.

5. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Android is a great OS. I love having it on my phone.

6. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Agreed android rocks.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That makes absolutely no sense. How can a platform's popularity affect innovation? Android has been steadily updating/improving since it was released. Additionally, iOS has been improved over the same time frame.

Finally with MS jumping back into the mobile arena with win7 mobile, they've taken the positive elements of iOS and android and crafted a solid OS, again more innovation.

Where exactly is android impeding innovation.

8. BrennerM macrumors regular

So basically this video shows that the tablet can currently play videos. If you had those video files, you could do the same basic "demo" on an iPad!

I am eagerly awaiting the day when an actual production version of one of these "next-gen" tablets (Xoom, Playbook) gets a real hands-on demo/review. I love my iPad but competition is a good thing for everyone.

At least the Xoom looks better from a screen size perspective. 7" tablets are too small IMO.

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Looks very nice, give them credit for learning from the iPad and trying to make it right.

But no price details. Ah, there's the key issue at the moment. We'll see.

Release these things and then we can talk.

10. VTMac macrumors 6502

Very little of that was real. If you pay close attention, most of that demo is him playing back a video. The entire google maps think was a pre recorded video. No telling if the real deal will be that smooth or not. Being a SWD myself and having done plenty of trade shows, I can you say that the reason we've use pre-recorded demos is when we're not confident of the current real world results. It's very easy to tweak things to smooth them out once recorded.

Still looks like a promising device, by I'll withhold judgement until we see a real independent hands on review. One of the architectural issues in Android is that is doesn't use much on the on board GPU hardware. This is done to allow Android to abstract away differences in capability between all the various hardware vendors. But it also generally means sub par battery life, as well as less than smooth animations and gaming on anything less than the highest end ARM hardware.

11. tuatha macrumors regular

Andy Rubin demo'd Maps on Honeycomb live a few weeks back and it looked pretty smooth.

Should also note that I already have that latest version of maps with the 3D features on my (single-core) phone and it's just as smooth as the video. If anything I'd expect it to perform better on the Xoom.

Lack of live demos is a bit disappointing but they've made no secret of the fact that the software isn't close to ready yet. Mid-March is supposedly the release date.

12. redshift1 macrumors regular

Questions still remain for the Xoom.

Comes with 3g but requires a hardware upgrade for 4g at Verizon Store.

No mention of wireless only.

Fully functional model does not exist.

I have an Android Phone and like the OS but It looks like the chance of
    a near future launch remains remote.

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I have an HTC Evo 4G

And I'm loving android.....

This tablet is very impressive....

It is setting a new standard for tablets, standards which iPad does not have;)

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

It seems they're doing a live demo of it at the Verizon event at CES this morning looking at BGR's liveblog:

I'd hope some actual usage videos of it arrives soon.

15. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Leaving themselves some time for the iPad 2?

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Three things that stand out to me as making this worthy of being called a tablet:

1) Actual desktop

2) Legitimate tabbed browsing (w/ flash support)

3) Card-based (thumbnail) UI for task switching

Looking good so long as it supports user-accessible file storage.

17. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Discussion of the device seems useless since we don't really know much about it. Even the booth dude said it isn't ready for primetime yet. So it seems pointless to speculate one way or the other on the quality of this device without solid information about it's weight, screen, body, speed, etc. Discussion of Honeycomb seems more appropriate since that's what is really on display here. Motorola is just getting some free press by getting to play the videos on their devices, getting to Xoom name out there.

What I've seen of Honeycomb looks nice, but not really mind blowing. Some peoples' ecstasy over the OS at places like Engadget is perplexing. I think the homescreen widgets could be cool. But I appreciate that this is something which is difficult to implement well - especially on a larger screen like this. I trust Apple will give us something similar in the future, but we'll see.

Other than that, I don't see what's so great. It really looks like it functions more or less the same as an iPad. Which is to say it ultimately comes down to apps and how well they perform. Books, maps, and videos are kind of the pre-reqs. I saw one post from someone bitching about the iPad's YouTube application and praising what was shown in this video. I was amused to see it looks identical to the iPad version. Visually, I'm not too fond of the direction they've taken here. I like some of the design elements, but it seems kind of scattershot. I've always appreciated the consistency of iOS when it comes to the way interface items look.

One way Google and these device manufacturers could have differentiated themselves from the iPad was with stylus support and a real digitizer. I'm definitely interested in this functionality, but it is so far only offered on devices running desktop operating systems. A hybrid multitouch/pen display on an iPad-like device would be really outstanding.

As it stands, the whole affair looks like a me-too rehash of last years iPad. Too which many people now cuming with excitement over Honeycomb responded with disgust and mockery over Apple's decision to use a mobile OS. These devices really highlight the extent to which Apple is leading the consumer electronics market. Everyone else is really following in their footsteps.

18. sciwizam macrumors regular

ASUS got you covered.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/asus-eee-pad-memo-tablet-takes-a-pen-out-of-the-couriers-book/

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/asus-tablet-lineup-preview-slider-transformer-memo-and-slate/

19. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Not with phones anymore. Android outsells the iPhone now.

20. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I gotta say, the Asus Eee pad line by far has me more intrigued than any other tablet right now.

21. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Who cares? The iPhone was first and brought smart phones to the masses. Android and the various cell phone manufacturers have followed the Apple model pretty closely. Everything from the touch screen, to the app marketplace. And like these tablets, it was several years before Android devices even approached the iPhone's level of quality.

My point was that for the last 10 years, Apple's consumer electronics devices have been the standard to which all others are compared. Pick any Apple product, and you'll find Apple's competitors releasing devices clearly modeled after Apple's.

22. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Honeycomb and Xoom are well ahead of the iPad in terms of software and hardware.

It's going to take a significant upgrade by Apple on both fronts to stay ahead in the tablet wars.

Apple needs to:

- Make significant improvements in the processor (dual core)
    - Add significantly more ram (1gb should be minimum)
    - Better graphics (on the level of Tegra 2's)
    - Lighter (dunno how there)
    - Improve the multi tasking abilities, not just simply switching between apps, but letting apps directly communicate with each other
    - Widgets... I simply cannot believe the "inventor" of widgets doesn't have them in their mobile devices, yet every other device does
    - Better hardware access for software makers
    - USB/SD slots
    - Higher resolution screen (unlikely to happen until they can double the pixel count)

23. StarLog macrumors newbie

StarLog

Agreed, but the next step would be to allow for cell calls, via BT. Otherwise it is just another tablet. yawn

24. 513 macrumors newbie

Yeah, just watch this 10 minutes video, this is no more video files.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiXlkiq8Y0

25. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I thought 2.4 was honeycomb?

These million version numbers confuse me.