Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
...What are you talking about?

What he was using was a real, working model. The presenter was really using it. They even had a working model and demonstrated google maps 5.0 on it live over a month ago.

Did you even watch the video?

No, probably because the videos are all in flash. :D

But what I've read is that the presenter was showing a *demo video* on a working model. So what we do know is that the Xoom demo model can play videos. And do Google maps. But not much else. If my information is wrong, then I do apologize.

sciwizam

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
With the Xoom video, it's just a video showing how Mortola/Google hopes Xoom/Honeycomb will work. We don't know that they will actually be able to achieve it. Until they come up with a real working model, that video is worth as much as a phaser in Star Trek. Just because somebody "made" a phaser for a movie, doesn't mean it's possible to build one in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiXlkiq8Y0

Dear God, they have Honeycomb on imaginary tablets!!! :eek::p

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
But what I've read is that the presenter was showing a *demo video* on a working model. So what we do know is that the Xoom demo model can play videos. And do Google maps. But not much else. If my information is wrong, then I do apologize.

At CES the floor models only had a selection of demo videos that bloggers could come up and watch. Basically all the device had on it was the video app.

The demonstration, however, was the full version of Honeycomb and showed working versions of the browser, email, notifications, task switching, a game, the home screens, and widgets (the video of this is on youtube, should be compatible without flash support).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiXlkiq8Y0

Dear God, they have Honeycomb on imaginary tablets!!! :eek::p

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that!

At CES the floor models only had a selection of demo videos that bloggers could come up and watch. Basically all the device had on it was the video app.

The demonstration, however, was the full version of Honeycomb and showed working versions of the browser, email, notifications, task switching, a game, the home screens, and widgets (the video of this is on youtube, should be compatible without flash support).

That Verizon demo was the Xoom? Then I stand corrected. Sorry about that.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
You guys are in denial, the Xoom is going to be a kickass tablet just accept it and move on. It's like your ego's can't handle the fact that your Ipad will no longer be the best tablet. who cares really, it's not like you can't still enjoy your Ipad. Why do you guys have to discredit everything? leave that to Steve Jobs.

I don't know what it is but the vaporware talk is a little over board. HC may not be finished yet but what you saw is pretty much how it's going to be..

I have to say from what I saw I really like and will probably be buying it but first I have to see what they are going to price it at or if there will be a wifi model only.

That thing looked slick from watching that 10min demo.

I'm going to see what the iPad2 offers but for the moment I'm leaning towards the Xoom.

Pricing will have a lot to do with my choice.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Yes, pricing will be a key point to decide, and frankly so will real-world usage. No 10-minute demo covers your needs. Only when you hold it in your hands, in your home, on your network, running your software, and loading your web sites will you have a good idea if it works or not. In this case the Xoom will probably work great. But the point is we simply do not know this to be true yet.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Most of the apps I use on my iphone4(don't have an ipad) are available on Android..5250 client, RDP,VPN etc. The key one that is missing at the moment is Netflix. I gotta see what they are going to do about that. Also Apple has a few music creation apps I like.

Music Studio I used to track out a whole song, exported the midi files to my machine at home to put better instuments, effects & tweaks on it but it was great for putting something together that was in my head while away from home.

redshift1

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
Most of the apps I use on my iphone4(don't have an ipad) are available on Android..5250 client, RDP,VPN etc. The key one that is missing at the moment is Netflix. I gotta see what they are going to do about that. Also Apple has a few music creation apps I like.

Music Studio I used to track out a whole song, exported the midi files to my machine at home to put better instuments, effects & tweaks on it but it was great for putting something together that was in my head while away from home.

Netflix announced for Android Tablets according to multiple sources.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Ok thanks I heard it was going to be released for some Android devices..It had something to do with DRM but I would guess they would have something in the works...

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
That makes absolutely no sense. How can a platform's popularity affect innovation?

Uh, hum. Windows. You could make a good argument that Microsoft's monopoly power hurt innovation in the operating system space since they practically drove every alternative operating system company out of business (BeOS, NeXT, etc) with their OEM rebates in the late 90's/early 2000's.

http://lists.essential.org/info-policy-notes/msg00005.html

Even today, the only reason Microsoft even has a commercial desktop operating system competitor is because Apple rebuilt itself and decided to make money off hardware again, not their operating system software.

However, Android doesn't dominate 98+ percent of the smartphone operating system market and probably never will. So, we aren't at that point yet.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
funny thing is:

a few years back Apple got bad mouthed by others for just making their OS look pretty but not very useful.

nowadays mobile OSs want to look really "fancy" but I don't see any advantage over iOS.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
funny thing is:

a few years back Apple got bad mouthed by others for just making their OS look pretty but not very useful.

nowadays mobile OSs want to look really "fancy" but I don't see any advantage over iOS.
You don't see excessive, wasteful eye candy on either Windows 7 or OSX, so why you'd want that on a tablet is beyond me. If you look at iOS' animations, they're subtle and are there to serve a legitimate, transitional purpose, otherwise, they're just a waste of system resources.
I mean, who here has constantly animated, video or whatever backgrounds etc, on their desktop?
I'm sure Honeycomb is a great OS under the hood, but eye candy for eye candy's sake, is mere smoke & mirrors, regardless of how many cores and RAM you have at your disposal.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
After seeing these new tablet OS demos, IOS looks like DOS

Apple needs to step up and deliver something better.

They are becoming like MS.

Just because you are market leader, no incentive to innovate.

Yearly release cycles for mobile platforms don't work any more.

enrvuk

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
When you're talking phones it is a fair comparision. Android against iOS since the only phone iOS is on is the iPhone.

Of course it isn't. You're comparing the marketing might and muscle of half a dozen companies against one. If it gets anywhere close to matching the sales of all of those it's doing a good job.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2009
Its only one company developing android

Google. Period.

Their release schedule is light years faster than Apple.

When Iphone was released Apple was confident it had a 5 year head start.

Nope.

Android has already surpassed IOS on many levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.