Motorola Xoom will ship without Flash

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rezatayebi, Feb 21, 2011.

1. rezatayebi macrumors regular

This was posted on Engadget

"Verizon's webpage dedicated to the Xoom has just gone up and one of our eagle-eyed readers has already spotted a disquieting bit of small print: "Adobe Flash expected Spring 2011." You don't sit around expecting what you already have, so that leads us to conclude that the Xoom, the mighty iPad-slaying, Honeycomb-bringing, world-changing tablet... won't have Flash at launch. The version of Adobe's rich media player it's waiting for is most probably 10.2 for mobile devices, scheduled to arrive in the coming weeks, which should mean first-day buyers this Thursday will get a limited-time premium feature on their tablets: no Flash ads."

2. Beezy macrumors regular

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wonder if that's because there's no flash app for honeycomb or if there's another reason.

Edit: by the way motorola with the droidx has a horrible track record in providing updates, so I'd not really expect it very quickly. Spring for them could mean the end of June

4. 513 macrumors newbie

That's just because Adobe is making Flash 10.2 hardware accelerated by the GPU in Tegra 2.

Like they did with the Mac recently.

5. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

sure is... Xoom is gonna kill.

6. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

7. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Ah hahaha, LMFAO!

Interesting to see those harping on about how important Flash is and how good Xoom is will now be defending the lack of it :rolleyes:

8. stev3n macrumors 6502

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

bad for Adobe if too many people get used to websurfing without flash......

it also gives the perception that Flash was bad all along and they have trouble to improve it on time.

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

It makes sense that flash probably hasn't been optimized for the new batch of processors.

Also, Spring 2011 is 10 days away. Assuming Motorola isn't wrong about their promise, then the Xoom will have flash before the iPad2 is introduced.

At least its getting it. Do you think that Apple will change their mind once they start putting processors in their devices that can handle flash?

11. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Flash wasn't always bad. However, it got massively over-used, full sites ended up getting developed in it when the internet was still slow for a lot of people, so people got fed up of it. Then people got fed up of it being proprietary, and so now there is no need for it whatsoever as the HTML spec relies more on agreed central standards. It's a waste of space, and Apple know it.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you guys noticed that over the last two years or so while everyone has been bashing Apple for not including flash even though it works on all these other mobile platforms, that it is still for the most part "coming soon" to those platforms? Or the "good version" is still "coming soon?"

I know that it's out on some Android phones, I don't know the specifics of the support software/hardware versions and status of GPU acceleration, but it's released and from what I've read it does work, with a neat click-to-flash type option.

Apple said at the beginning that they were waiting for Adobe to show them a good mobile product. They might eventually get there but it's not like Adobe has had a perfect GPU-accelerated mobile Flash product on all mobile platforms for a year now or anything like that.

My guess is that 6 months to a year after there's a really sweet running version of Flash for mobile devices (also mobile processing power will have caught up a bit by then), Apple will at least consider adding it in.

13. Gryzor macrumors 6502

In 6 months to a year, most sites will move over to HTML5. Flash is now dead in the water.

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

Boy, if only I knew why Apple didn't include Flash.:rolleyes: At least they didn't promise it.

15. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point of this article as everyone can donwload Flash player from the Android Marketplace.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

I guess it all depends on what they mean by Spring 2011. :)

Spring classes started a while ago at most northern hemisphere universities.
    Vernal equinox is 20 March 2011
    2Q11 starts 1 April 2011

They could also mean Spring 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere, which I believe starts in September. (equinoxe 9/23/11) :D

17. rdowns, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. monaarts macrumors 65816

LOL Xoom is such a joke. I feel like android tablets are each becoming one of those products that over promise and under deliver. I will keep my iPad because in my experience, Apple has always under promised and exceeded my expectations. For example, my MacBook Air is listed with a battery life of "Up to 7 hours" and I have been getting "Up to 8.5 hours" Literally!

- Joe

19. Highcroft macrumors regular

Any Android phone or tablet with 2.2 or above can download Flash, but the Flash in the market is not hardware accelerated. The Xoom's will be specifically tailored for the Tegra 2. So the Xoom will most likely have Flash at launch, but from what I've seen on the Notion Ink and other earlier Tegra 2 tablets, it will probably be jittery.

20. monaarts macrumors 65816

Of course it will be jittery! Thats exactly what Flash is. I was using Flash on my Macbook last night and got the "Flash has stopped responding" error. That is the ONLY app I ever get an error with on a regular basis! :p

- Joe

21. davidcmc, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

davidcmc macrumors regular

That's true, but don't forget that it's only problematic in OS X.
    Flash runs smooth and flawlessly in Windows 7.

Should we blame Adobe or Apple for the problems only happening in OS X? :)

22. newdeal macrumors 68020

flash 10.2 works pretty well on my macbook. Uses a bit more power in video than html5 but not by much

23. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

With or without Flash, Honeycomb is currently more capable than iOS.

Doesn't necessarily mean its better, obviously, since that depends on the individual's needs/wants. But to dismiss the Xoom/Honeycomb simply because Adobe develops slowly is a bit of a jump.

24. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

HAHAHAHAH good luck Xoom!
    nothing like ALREADY disappointing everyone.
    have we even heard what the battery life is on these gems?

25. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Maybe I missed something, but whats with the "cheering" and "insults" towards competing products?

I love my iPhone, iPad, etc... but I *want* good products from other companies on the market as well. Otherwise Apple won't innovate or improve at a very fast rate themselves.

Competition is good, people. You're better than this.