Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be using a mouse with your iPad?

• Yes

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The one workflow that nearly anyone can imagine is simply copying and pasting large amounts of text such as when working on a document or in excel. The current touch system makes this routine task that billions of people do every day substantially more difficult than it needs to be. Mouse support should bring this back to parity with computers from 40 years ago.
It will help, but with the pointer being the size of a penny? I will have to see it in action...

Reactions: JCoe13

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Whenever I try to use my iPad as my primary device, with a keyboard case or external keyboard and iPad on a stand, there were simply too many times where I'd end up having to touch the screen. I think web browsing and spreadsheets were the two main culprits, but it really, really got tiresome.

The other thing was that as much as I got used to keyboard shortcuts, there were definitely situations in my daily workflow where I'd have been quicker doing stuff with a pointing device. So I'd end up using my Mac instead.

I wasn't sure that a mouse was necessarily the best solution, or the one that Apple would come up with, but now they have, I think its going to give some people the option of using an iPad instead of a Mac now.

All that said, until we see some sort of keyboard cover combined with trackpad, I can't see me using the iPad any more than I do today. If someone does that, it'll be a great ultra-portable device.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I keep seeing here (almost daily now) people getting very excited about mouse support on the iPad. I can't figure out WHY people are excited. Can someone please help me understand? It's my understanding that this is an "accessibility" feature and not something that apps will truly support. Being on my iPad, I haven't come across a situation where I felt like I wished I had a mouse instead of using my finger.

EDIT: I am specifically asking outside of those that actually use this for its intended purpose of accessibility. That is, of course, an amazing feature for those with limited movement or another reason and they need accessibility features. I think being inclusive of all is a great way to go and that's a great reason to be excited to have a mouse now!

I was like you, but after trying it for a few days, I can tell you that a mouse makes a lot of sense when using your iPad on your desk, with a keyboard. It’s much more convenient than raising your hand, also, certain actions like text selection are easier. There is also a third reason which is a bit more nuanced and well known to stylus users on desktop computers (and for Apple Pencil users). While the Pencil (and styluses like Wacom Pro Pen) are super-precise, they also register even the smallest of movements (as they should). So, when moving something precisely with them, like a slider or a transform node in a graphics app, raising the stylus causes a micro-movement that registers as an input. This happens because it’s really hard to move your hand in a direction that is exactly perpendicular to the screen. This causes the screen element to move slightly as you raise your hand and makes certain things hard to do with a stylus (like scaling an image with pixel precision in Photoshop). A mouse doesn’t have this problem as you can easily lift your finger from a button without moving the mouse. I actually find certain things easier to do with a mouse than the Apple Pencil in Clip Studio, for example.

So, these are some of the reasons. Mouse support on the iPad - even at this level - is really great.
[doublepost=1561206208][/doublepost]
It will help, but with the pointer being the size of a penny? I will have to see it in action...

The pointer has a small dot in the middle which is the actual hotspot, just like the tip of the arrow on a Mac pointer. It is actually very precise.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I voted a resounding “Yes” and am thrilled mouse support is finally reality. I will use it whenever my iPad is docked in my Smart Keyboard and on my desk, which is often.

I also don’t care that if they call it an accessibility feature. Anyone can use it, just like Auto-Brightness. It’s a great feature that I feel more people will use once they try it.

And as to "why" in the thread title, I say "why not".

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I was like you, but after trying it for a few days, I can tell you that a mouse makes a lot of sense when using your iPad on your desk, with a keyboard. It’s much more convenient than raising your hand, also, certain actions like text selection are easier. There is also a third reason which is a bit more nuanced and well known to stylus users on desktop computers (and for Apple Pencil users). While the Pencil (and styluses like Wacom Pro Pen) are super-precise, they also register even the smallest of movements (as they should). So, when moving something precisely with them, like a slider or a transform node in a graphics app, raising the stylus causes a micro-movement that registers as an input. This happens because it’s really hard to move your hand in a direction that is exactly perpendicular to the screen. This causes the screen element to move slightly as you raise your hand and makes certain things hard to do with a stylus (like scaling an image with pixel precision in Photoshop). A mouse doesn’t have this problem as you can easily lift your finger from a button without moving the mouse. I actually find certain things easier to do with a mouse than the Apple Pencil in Clip Studio, for example.

So, these are some of the reasons. Mouse support on the iPad - even at this level - is really great.
[doublepost=1561206208][/doublepost]

The pointer has a small dot in the middle which is the actual hotspot, just like the tip of the arrow on a Mac pointer. It is actually very precise.

That is really good to know about the small dot...

Reactions: aevan

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Hence my question: outside of using it for accessibility, why are you excited for mouse support? I, personally, am not excited for this and don’t see myself needing it.
Others have needs you don't. Anyone doing spreadsheets, text editing, video editing or audio ediiting has reason to use a mouse. True, this first implementation is lame, but it could certainly be improved to pc parity in a release or two
[doublepost=1561763039][/doublepost]
The one workflow that nearly anyone can imagine is simply copying and pasting large amounts of text such as when working on a document or in excel. The current touch system makes this routine task that billions of people do every day substantially more difficult than it needs to be. Mouse support should bring this back to parity with computers from 40 years ago.
A-hhhh-men, amen, amen!
[doublepost=1561763269][/doublepost]
One step closer to a surface pro.. My work “computer” is a surface pro and external display and honestly it is perfect. I am hoping the iPad is going to eventually get there.
Time for Tim to lease that kick stand patent!

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
I plan to use it for RDP into Windows machines. I use my iPad when traveling for remote access to work systems and adding mouse support makes that much easier.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
only time I would/could ever see myself using a mouse on my Ipad is using a word processor or Excel/Sheets. My Ipad is an "escape" away from my PC, I would rather not use it like a PC otherwise I will just....well....go to my PC :)

With that said, I voted "no"

Reactions: JCoe13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.