Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Hi.
A got a new MacBook Pro. Woo!!
I'm using an external hard drive for iTunes, Final Cut and Photos. I'm a musician - I have a lot of music.
I saved my library from my old MB to an SSD, and then told iTunes to use this as the library.
I dragged the data files -'iTunes Music Library.xml' etc- into my iTunes folder on the MacBook. Now all the songs are shown in iTunes.
The problem is that every time i try to play a song, iTunes asks if I want to locate it.
Is there any easy way around this?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Isn't there a preference setting in iTunes to NOT import music into the iTunes music library...?

Look in preferences/advanced ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bothclaws

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The iTunes Music Library.xml is essentially a catalog list - a text file (that's what XML is). Currently, that catalog list, being in a different location than it was originally (the iTunes folder on the external drive), doesn't know where to find the music. The "locate" request is to locate the actual music files.

If you have the entire iTunes folder from the old MB on that external drive and you've gone into iTunes > Preferences > Advanced to select the external drive as the location of the iTunes Media folder, then that's also where the iTunes Music Library.xml (and iTunes Library.itl) should be. Example:

External drive > iTunes > iTunes Music Library.xml
External drive > iTunes > iTunes Library.itl
External drive > iTunes > iTunes Media folder

If you do a "locate" that may also fix the issue. Sometimes you need to only locate one music file, sometimes you need to locate more music files.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Hi.
Well, I deleted all the files from my
The iTunes Music Library.xml is essentially a catalog list - a text file (that's what XML is). Currently, that catalog list, being in a different location than it was originally (the iTunes folder on the external drive), doesn't know where to find the music. The "locate" request is to locate the actual music files.

If you have the entire iTunes folder from the old MB on that external drive and you've gone into iTunes > Preferences > Advanced to select the external drive as the location of the iTunes Media folder, then that's also where the iTunes Music Library.xml (and iTunes Library.itl) should be. Example:

External drive > iTunes > iTunes Music Library.xml
External drive > iTunes > iTunes Library.itl
External drive > iTunes > iTunes Media folder

If you do a "locate" that may also fix the issue. Sometimes you need to only locate one music file, sometimes you need to locate more music files.

Thanks!
That fixed it.
I deleted those files form my MB, and directed iTunes to use the external hard drive.
I'd already directed it to do that, so I'm not sure how it reverted. Perhaps deleting the files helped.
Anyway. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.