Movie scenes that make you uncomfortable...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by corywoolf, Apr 6, 2008.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I was thinking about it, there are a lot of scenes in movies that I hate to watch with others around, sometimes the entire movie is not fun to watch around other folks. For example, the movie "The Bird Cage" was on TV the other day and it was on a funny scene towards the end of the movie at the dinner table. I would never have stopped and watched it with anyone else around. I had a chance over the holidays to go see "Juno" with my family, but I convinced everyone to see "No Country for Old Men" instead (which was pretty good anyways). Anyone else have some scenes/movies they secretly find amusing but wouldn't want to watch them with others around? :D

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Why did you pass on Juno? That was a good movie.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Not so much uncomfortable with others around, but just generally uncomfortable with the stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan.

4. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

From the previews I saw, it looked like an awkward movie to sit through next to my mom. Being a lot of goofiness about this teenagers pregnancy, it would have been one weird car ride home. I heard that it was good though, I will rent it when it is out on DVD for sure though and watch it by myself the first time. There's nothing worse then watching a movie for the first time and having stuff come up that makes you uncomfortable. It depends on who you see the movie with, if it's a close friend then just about anything is fair game.

See, I am totally OK with violent scenes, it's love scenes and that kind of thing that I hate watching around family. Who really wants to watch two people having sex with family around? Ewwww...

5. 119576 Guest

Aw you kids are cute.

Your hormones are raging.

You shouldn't be uncomfortable; embrace it.

6. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Actually I'm 20 years old and still find watching love scenes around family uncomfortable. I think it has more to do with taboos in our culture.

Edit: BTW, your avatar rules!

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

80% of the movie Eastern Promises

I'm fine with sex scenes, but god damn, when they were cutting him up in the sauna, thats ****ed up.

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

9. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ahhh... such a good movie. I thought Viggo Mortensen did a fantastic job :)

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the opening scene in Juno. I normally don't have any problems with sex scenes in movies, but this one made me very uncomfortable. I think it's because normally sex scenes in movies are very unrealistic and just sort of give the sense of sex even if they are really explicit. Usually they just hint at the emotion of it or concentrate on the mere physicality of it. In Juno, even though it wasn't particularly explicit sex, it seemed much more real to me. It seemed far too intimate and I felt uncomfortable watching, even though I know they were just actors.

11. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

x2. Mortensen was awesome...in his best deadpan: "ah, joke."

12. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Thank you, you just confirmed my prejudice of that movie. I am glad I didn't watch that with my family. I am surprised that no one else gets uncomfortable when watching sex scenes with family members around.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Oh, it wasn't because there were other people around. It was just that particular sex scene. I could have been watching it alone and I would have felt uncomfortable.

EDIT: And it only lasts about a minute or two, so I'd say your prejudices are still a bit unfounded.

14. Redundancy Pool macrumors newbie

Redundancy Pool

The series on fox "The Moment of truth"

15. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Any scenes with violence against women or children will make me cringe.

16. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I used to feel a bit awkward, but then I watched "Mulholland Drive" with my parents and I've been over it ever since. :p

17. c073186 macrumors 6502a

In Love Actually, the scenes where the people are acting out the sex scenes.

18. spooky mulder macrumors regular

god that show is not cool, good show, but making money off of peoples marriages. Come on fox!

also almost every scene in broke back mountain

19. c073186 macrumors 6502a

The Moment of Truth is the stupidest show I have ever seen. I don't know why they even air it.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I hate watching movies with sex scenes while my family is in the room. *shudders* I don't mind watching them with friends or ppl my age tho.

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Because its FOX...

22. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

When family is around it's definitely sex scenes. My wife's family is pretty conservative so it's just an awkward experience. Of course in general I don't care for sex scenes in movies, but with the in-laws around it definitely makes it worse.

As far as all around uncomfortable goes, I don't like anything against children or any sort of "real" war movie. I'm okay with fantasy violence. Braveheart is one of my favorite movies and watching someone's head get cut off doesn't bother me, but Saving Private Ryan? No dice. Can't watch it.

I just saw Juno last night at the dollar theatre, and it is a GREAT movie! The beginning "sex scene" wasn't explicit by any means, but it was more realistic in the sense that you definitely got the feeling that the characters were extremely awkward with each other. That said, had I seen it with my in-laws I don't think I would have felt uncomfortable at all because it wasn't a bunch of screaming, moaning or squirming. It was nothing, really.

Again, great movie.

23. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I still haven't seen that movie. I bet I would turn it off in the first five minutes though. :p

24. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I would also say the part in The Weather Man where Cage sees his daughter in the tight clothes and has the flashes in his mind of images of a cameltoe. Oh, and also in that movie the part where he is arguing with his ex-wife over blow jobs.

25. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

That scene in, "Reservoir Dogs", where that tied up cop gets his ear cut off. I never understood why so many people think that movie is so great. I just don't get it.