Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neocell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Inspired by iGav's thread, I thought that a similar one about movies may be appropriate as the first thing that jumped into my mind when I read his title was I Hate Tom Cruise! Well this morning a friend had told me that they had just watched Vanilla Sky, a movie that I really liked, but Cruise (Tom, that is) annoyed me in it (my justification why it was the first thing jumping to my head, as I don't always think about how annoying Tom Cruise is). Similar feelings for Minority Report. I think they were both really good movies, but would have been a whole lot better with someone else as the lead. Well, I'll leave it at this for now and see if anyone else has opinions...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Easy. And off the top of my head...

• Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler
• Magnolia with Tom Cruise
(both directed by Paul Thomas Anderson)

Fortunately, I can't even bring myself to like anything the utterly repellent Mel Gibson appears in... this paradoxical dilemma would make my head explode.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
I can't stand Keanu Reeves but I love Dracula - I just wince a bit whenever he comes on screen.
And I agree with Blue Velvet - anything with Mel Gibson is likely to be execrable.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
I like Meet the Fockers, but I hate Barbara Streisand. I think she's terribly stuck up and she just makes me cringe... :rolleyes:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I can't stand Tom Hanks. For some reason I can't put my finger on the guy really, really annoys me and normally I can't sit through his films. That said, I really enjoyed Saving Private Ryan. And I thought he was excellent in Toy Story... :D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mainstreetmark said:
* Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind w/ Jim Carrey
Oooh that's a good one! I was thinking that I couldn't think of such a movie but I don't like Elijah Hobbit and I don't like Jim Carrey-- but really did enjoy that movie.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Blue Velvet said:
Fortunately, I can't even bring myself to like anything the utterly repellent Mel Gibson appears in... this paradoxical dilemma would make my head explode.
The Lethal Weapon series is very good. I watched Forever Young multiple times. The Patriot was amazing (although it gets boring after you see it for the 12th time). Conspiracy Theory is a classic. Did I forget any? Ransom wasn't bad, and I'm sure there are others. You're missing out on some pretty good movies if you write off all Mel Gibson films.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You forgot the best Mel Gibson film - Braveheart!

The Truman Show was great, even though I usually hate Jim Carrey.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
grapes911 said:
You're missing out on some pretty good movies if you write off all Mel Gibson films.

No, I'm pretty damned sure that I'm not. This also includes all Mad Max (Road Warrior films).

My idea of a 'pretty good movie' just may be a little different to yours... ;)

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Blue Velvet said:
No, I'm pretty damned sure that I'm not. This also includes all Mad Max (Road Warrior films).

My idea of a 'pretty good movie' just may be a little different to yours... ;)

W-w-what...? Don't like Mad Max? B-b-but....

*confused*

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Jaffa Cake said:
I can't stand Tom Hanks.

I love Tom Hanks.

No movie/actor is springing to mind at the mo... hmmmmmm, I'm going to have to think about this one. :)

katchow

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Blue Velvet said:
Easy. And off the top of my head...

• Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler
• Magnolia with Tom Cruise
(both directed by Paul Thomas Anderson)

ahh yes, and Jon Brion does the soundtracks, good stuff :) He also does Eternal Sunshine, strange coincidence. Though I actually liked Jim Carrey in that despite never caring for him before.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Vanilla Sky and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are actually probably my two most hated films, though i'm not that bothered about the actors in them. i would sooner poke both my eyes out with a pencil than have to watch either of those films again. actually that's what watching them the first time around felt like.

I'm struggling to find an answer to the OP's question. The actor/actress I really hate the most is Reese Witherspoon. But I can't actually think of a good film she's been in. Hmmm time to put my thinking cap back on...

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Love: Original Cast (Michael Crawford) and Movie: Phantom of the Opera - but painfully tightening and loosening my larynx with Gerard Butler.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I'm gonna have to go with Uma Thurman. I've never much cared for her, but she's been in a few really enjoyable movies. Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1, and Dangerous Liasons come immediately to mind.

katchow

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
dietcokevanilla said:
Vanilla Sky and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are actually probably my two most hated films, though i'm not that bothered about the actors in them. i would sooner poke both my eyes out with a pencil than have to watch either of those films again. actually that's what watching them the first time around felt like.

apparently they weren't melodramatic enough for you?
:rolleyes:

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I can't stand Owen Wilson but I really liked The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket. So basically any of the Wes Anderson films he appears in. I still haven't seen the Life Aquatic but I'm sure I'd probably enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.