Mozilla Says Paid Version of Firefox With Premium Features Coming Later This Year

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:24 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Mozilla Foundation is working on a premium version of its Firefox browser, according to a new report. German media site T3N ran an interview with Chris Beard, CEO of Firefox, who appeared to confirm that a paid tier of the browser could be ready to launch by October this year.

According to Beard, the premium version of Firefox is likely to include a VPN, secure cloud storage, and other subscription services such as paywalled content access.
    Mozilla has been experimenting offering ProtonVPN to some Firefox users for a $10 per month subscription, but Beard says the company is now considering offering some amount of free VPN bandwidth to non-paying users, and a premium metered VPN service as a monthly subscription.

Mozilla currently earns its money through read-it-later and content discovery service Pocket, which it owns, but the majority of its revenue comes from the search engines used in its free browser.

After Beard's interview was published, The Next Web received a statement from Dave Camp, senior vice president of Firefox, who confirmed that paid products are actively in development:
    There's no word as yet on pricing for the upcoming paid version of Firefox, the standard version of which relaunched last year powered by a new Quantum engine and including several privacy-focused features.

[​IMG]

In perhaps a hint at its planned new product launches, Mozilla on Tuesday unveiled a family of new Firefox logos, designed to give a unified identity to its broadening suite of products and services that become accessible to users who open a Firefox account. For example, Lockwise is a secure password manager, and Monitor that notifies users if their email has been part of a known data breach.

Article Link: Mozilla Says Paid Version of Firefox With Premium Features Coming Later This Year

2. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

3. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

4. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

I see this as a last attempt to make some money for the company that has been in decline for years and years...

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

This is a really good step for the company. Trying to differentiate their browser can only be a good thing, and many users would welcome a cheap and well supported set of features that are built in, for a small price.

6. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

Who/why would anyone need or want this?
    Firefox is junk anyway. Massive memory hog and is just outdated.
    Chrome is best, functionality and design wise

7. WalterTizzano macrumors 6502

WalterTizzano

Yes, and it’s by far the best browser on Windows’s. On Mac I prefer safari.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 at 2:15 AM ---
    It’s not true anymore. On the contrary, chrome is now much more of a memory hog than the latest versions of Firefox. And as a plus, Firefox doesn’t spy on you.

8. nexu macrumors member

9. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

I generally think this is a good thing. There's a risk they'll be incentivized to make many features "premium" that otherwise would have been free and open source, but we have to get away from this notion* that a web browser isn't allowed to cost money.

*) Which dates back all the way to the Netscape-Microsoft browser wars. Netscape wasn't free, but you'd typically get it subsidized through your ISP or you'd get it from a CD on a magazine (remember magazines with CDs on them?). IE came free, which was clearly not what it cost to make.

10. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Chrome is as bad as Firefox when it comes to optimisations at least on Mac. One of very few apps that crank up the fans on my mbp.

11. FamVR macrumors newbie

I like Firefox and using a VPN is good for the user, when privacy matters.

P.s. Not too many Dutch people will know this, but you can be proud, because it was a Dutch guy that came up with the tabs and a content blocker for Mozilla.

12. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Soon Chrome will permanently remove the API or something similar to that that allow current ad blockers to remove ads before they are displayed on user browser.
    What about this move? Chrome eats memory real fast as well.

13. azpekt macrumors regular

Your comment clearly illustrates absence of knowledge on current browsers landscape.

14. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Why? Free Firefox as it is available now is not going away. The premium features are stuff that most user most likely won't ever need.

15. Michvuee macrumors member

Please get an actual VPN that doesn’t track you and not within the 14 eye like NordVPN or ExpressVPN

16. cloudyo macrumors member

Does anyone else think that the service market is becoming a little bit crowded lately?

17. Davidglenn, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:29 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 3:55 AM

Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

It is good Firefox is offering both free and paid browser. With most browsers being free they really need something outstanding to want people to pay money.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure there's a market for a premium paid browser, while firefox doesn't have the largest following, I wonder if the dedicated folks who do use it, will be willing to pay

19. Zenithal, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:35 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 3:42 AM

Zenithal macrumors 604

ProtonVPN is fairly fast and their support is a little better than PIA. Can't imagine Mozilla is making off much per subscription. Mozilla made around $560M last year, though. Spent roughly $3M on mobile software (which has yet to release).

I've been frustrated with Chrome's weird nuances since 2011-2012 and refuse to use it for extended periods of time. Chrome x64 will eat through the 64 GB of RAM in my workstation if I let it, meanwhile a hundred tabs in Firefox may eat just 4-6 GB in total. Often the difference can be as much as 30 GB. Google crippling APIs that ad-blockers use in the near future takes the cake.

Chrome is very much the IE of today.

Proton VPN is located in Switzerland in underground data centers.

20. max2 macrumors 68030

Good I will pay a lot for Firefox! Consider it a donation.

21. Mac Fly (film), Jun 12, 2019 at 3:50 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 4:06 AM

Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

If I need use another browser beside Safari (my default) I use Firefox. I never thought I’d say that, but the more recent releases of Firefox make it a much better browser than it used be back in the day, when everyone raved about it, but I didn’t like it. It’s more private, not slow and more attractive now. As for Chrome, I don’t trust Google. For the same reason I’ve stopped using Facebook app and website and insta and have never used WA. You think I’m your product, think again.

My big wish re privacy is for Apple to either release iMessage for Android or for Signal to be more popular in Europe. If Apple truly care for their user privacy they’ll offer Apple users the ability to contact both Apple and Android users over their encrypted chat via iMessage. Until that day I’ll remain convinced the almighty dollar and not privacy or the experience are Apple’s true north. Get a percentage of droids hooked on iMessage and it makes it awful easy for them to try iPhone as their next phone, they can slip on over. And seeing as there are many more droid than iPhone users stats wise the larger flow of users will come from dark to light. So I expect even financially it would be a win for them. But it would certainly be a privacy win for users.

22. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Firefox was my favorite browser before I started using macs in 2012. I still have Firefox installed on my mac to use as a secondary browser. I was never a fan of Chrome.

23. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

Fixed it for you.

24. JetTester macrumors 6502

Nah. I use Firefox on Mac and Windows, but can’t see paying for premium features.

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

A premium feature Firefox could offer that I’d pay for: Access to all paid websites for $8.99/month, where the publishers get $6.25 (75%) of that. It has to be a better deal for publishers than Apple News+ is.

As a developer already pissed at Apple for the 70/30 split, News+’s 50/50 split was a step in the wrong direction, so I refuse to pay for it out of principle. Apple’s monopolies need to end.