MPAA ''Committed To Fair Use, Interoperability, DRM''

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The MPAA is committed to fair use, interoperability, and DRM, according to a report by Arstechnica. The statements, made by MPAA boss Dan Glickman this week at a LexisNexis conference on DRM, indicate a migration of thinking by movie studios.

Amongst the ideas proposed by the MPAA was a plan to let consumers rip DVDs for use on home media servers and iPods. However, Ars notes that the plan is not without caveats, and the plan is still in its infancy. For one, it appears as though the movie studios would want Digital Rights Management (DRM) applied to any ripped movies.

I asked him specifically about DVDs, which are currently illegal to rip under the DMCA, and how the law would square with his vision of allowing consumers to use such content on iPods and other devices. "You notice that I said 'legally' and in a protected way," Glickman responded, suggesting that some form of DRM would still be required before the studios would sign off on such a plan. He noted, however, that no specific plans have been made.
However, the MPAA does have its sights on making DRM more inter-operable.

In his speech, Glickman said that the industry needs "a collective philosophical commitment" to move forward on issues of interoperability and authorized use, and said that the MPAA has now made that commitment. He called on other companies in the industry to sit down and work out a solution. Though he never mentioned Apple by name, it's clear that the Cupertino-based company was number one on the list of companies that need to get involved; whether interoperable DRM and legitimate DVD ripping actually mesh with Apple's own business priorities is another question, though.
Apple recently made a deal with EMI for DRM-less music tracks to be sold through the iTunes Store. However, many analysts believe that such a deal is unlikely to succeed with movie studios. While Apple has signed up a number of movie studios to provide content for the iTunes Store, only Disney-owned companies provide new releases, perhaps highlighting the work still left to be done in the online movie market.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
not surprising. i don't see the movie industry giving up DRM anytime soon. they're almost worse in some ways than the RIAA. some ways.

SunnyBonno

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
how is this at all really relevant to apple? it's not really this organizations call on anything when you get down to it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Interoperability

Ha. Funny they should use the word "interoperability" as it's THE entire basis for the best anti-DRM article I've ever seen to date:

http://daringfireball.net/2006/06/drm_interoperability

Short version: A company can have good, strong DRM or you have interoperability. Not BOTH.

The music industry has been fooling themselves for years by pretending this isn't so. They're just now starting to wake up and realize that they HAVE to choose. Not surprisingly, some have now decided that interoperability matters more than DRM. Good choice.

Apparently it's going to take Hollywood ANOTHER decade to figure that out for themselves.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
"I see that you're having sex with my daughter. Very well, I will allow you to kiss her."

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Why on earth would Apple care about this? Apple already has a revenue generating means of putting video content on an iPod.
Because people like the option of using stuff they already bought once, fairly and legally, rather than having to buy them again.

You don't think if it was legal to rip DVDs for fair use that Apple would incorporate that functionality into iTunes?

They also want to sell more AppleTVs, and this would certainly help. I know I would consider one if it was only a one step process to get movies from DVD into iTunes like CDs.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
Why on Earth would Apple allow the ripping of CDs as a means for putting music on an iPod? I mean they have a revenue generating means for this....

Because people like the option of using stuff they already bought once, fairly and legally, rather than having to buy them again.

You don't think if it was legal to rip DVDs for fair use that Apple would incorporate that functionality into iTunes?
Yep! Apple will allow users to burn their DVD's if the MPAA allows it. They can put FairPlay on the content to keep it safe. This would really help the AppleTV.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I don't know what is more important to me; being able to rip a DVD to an iPod, or being able to burn iTunes purchases to DVD.

Well, for me, personally, the latter is more important, because I already use Handbrake. But to the majority of people, being able to rip a DVD to the iPod will make a huge difference in their purchasing plans, because many people don't want to re-buy content online and so disregard the iPod's video capabilities.

On the other hand, I just bought the first nine episodes of Heroes on iTunes, and I have to hook my iPod up to any TV I want to watch it on. Why can't they develop a way to burn a DVD w/CSS?

john7jr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
As long as Macrovision is the weakest link in Video DRM I'll continue to use Handbrake to get my legally purchased movies onto my video iPod.

"I see that you're having sex with my daughter. Very well, I will allow you to kiss her."
Exactly.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Amongst the ideas proposed by the MPAA was a plan to let consumers rip DVDs for use on home media servers and iPods.
Geee, thanks MPAA!! Umm...most people including me do this already. DMCA or not. I say it's FAIR USE. I bought it, it's mine, leave me alone. Sure, they should go after people posting stuff on the net, but if I have a legit copy of it, I will do as I please for my own personal use. They can go to hell for all I care. I don't need "permission" to handle my property. It's mine.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
profit, above all else.

Why on earth would Apple care about this? Apple already has a revenue generating means of putting video content on an iPod.
Because it'll affect what functionality Apple will provide in iTunes. Maybe an option of ripping DVDs -> iTunes -> iPod ( with DRM wrapper ).

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Because it'll affect what functionality Apple will provide in iTunes. Maybe an option of ripping DVDs -> iTunes -> iPod ( with DRM wrapper ).
Bingo.

As much as we don't like to admit it, that might be the best possible use for DRM.

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Heck even I might be into that even though I use handbrake if it saves me a couple of seconds.

But otherwise I personally don't care to much about this, but it would be VERY cool to have the average consumer getting DVD's onto their iPod, BUT this could slow down the transition to HD discs. Being that DVD's are cracked their is nothing to expose, but with both HD discs they are not fully cracked and they would have something to lose by integrating this, as the hacker community could take this code and use it.

So I guess someone needs to make ripping HD discs as easy as handbrake, so they will open those up to iTunes too!

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
Did the MPAA forget about DVD rental service like Netflix or Blockbuster?

If the MPAA allows legal DVD ripping I could see a lot of people questioning why they need to buy a DVD when they can just rent and rip a copy.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
So far, DRM has protected the movie industry from piracy (for the most part), so I completely understand their stance on DRM and why they want to keep it.

It would be in everyone's best interest if iTunes users could copy DVDs for personal use, while applying FairPlay on the digital copy. If iTunes had this feature customers would win with the ability to easily (and legally) rip DVDs to use for their iPod/Apple TV, and the movie industry would win by discouraging users from making DRM-free copies of their movies. Plus, Apple would win by selling more Apple TVs.

Right now, we can't (legally) rip movies at all, so this deal sounds like a great compromise for everyone.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Did the MPAA forget about DVD rental service like Netflix or Blockbuster?

If the MPAA allows legal DVD ripping I could see a lot of people questioning why they need to buy a DVD when they can just rent and rip a copy.
Hopefully, they acknowledge that most people understand that such practices are stealing. I don't forsee them giving up their anti-movie-stealing campaign that they have been running in the theaters anytime soon.

I think most people out there would at least be satisfied if the MPAA allowed companies like Apple to make an ecosystem where they could take content and put it on their devices as they choose, even if there are some copying restrictions (as in, its not a free pass to pass it on to all your friends).

To reiterate what some others have said, Apple doesn't care if they make a few cents of the iTunes Store. What they DO care about is making much more money off of :apple: TV sales, or iPod sales, etc.

Apple already allows you to rip CD's in iTunes. That capability was around long before the Music Store was around, lest we forget, and it was doing a fine job of selling iPods. Anything that helps make them a more attractive option for selling their hardware/software bundle will be welcome. Obviously, if people can rip their already-owned DVD collection into iTunes, that is a HUGE advantage for something like the Apple TV, and I think Apple would be all for the MPAA to allow them to do such a thing.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
I think it would be great if I could rip my DVDs into iTunes. The people in these forums are more technologically savvy than most. The average person doesn't want to mess with Handbrake, or they don't know about it.

This would make the Apple TV more enticing.

Secondly, if you could burn a DVD of your iTunes video purchases (just like you can burn a CD of iTunes music), more people would be interested in downloading video content from iTunes. My wife would have used this just last week. She had some episodes of The Office and wanted to take them to a friend's house. Unfortunately, I was going out of town with the video iPod. If she could easily burn a DVD, she would have done that the day before.

While I see this as positive, I do understand why most people are reacting so negatively. Ideally, people wouldn't steal. And ideally, the movie industry wouldn't treat legitimate users (like me) like we are thieves. Then we'd have no DRM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.