Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
Love the new design!

Much better use of subtler colours making it easier on the eye. Cleaner more modern layout. Loads a lot faster (thank god.) Lots of white space on my screen but then I have a very widescreen, so I can't complain.

Excellent work. Well done to all.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've found another apparent glitch with IE. At my office we're on IE 7 and since the switch I've lost the ability to click on Smilies and message tools like font, bullets, insert link, insert picture, wrap quote, etc. etc. All of the text box editor tools are basically non-functional. When I put my mouse on one of them it will pull up the hint title box, but it is not clickable.

Obviously, I can still manually type in commands using [ ], but I don't know all the commands from memory and thus it's very difficult to post at work in a fully functional manner.

Please help! I'll go crazy if I actually have to work a full day as opposed to playing around on MR. (Please imagine an eek smilie in this place as I can't click on it and I don't know the command. However, I do know the winking smilie command, so I'll put it here).... ;)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I've found another apparent glitch with IE. At my office we're on IE 7 and since the switch I've lost the ability to click on Smilies and message tools like font, bullets, insert link, insert picture, wrap quote, etc. etc. All of the text box editor tools are basically non-functional. When I put my mouse on one of them it will pull up the hint title box, but it is not clickable.

Obviously, I can still manually type in commands using [ ], but I don't know all the commands from memory and thus it's very difficult to post at work in a fully functional manner.

Please help! I'll go crazy if I actually have to work a full day as opposed to playing around on MR. (Please imagine an eek smilie in this place as I can't click on it and I don't know the command. However, I do know the winking smilie command, so I'll put it here).... ;)

I think I found your problem. Stop using IE :)

just kidding. I can't remember any of the commands so I feel your pain.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

https://forums.macrumors.com/help/bb-codes/

;)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
^ Thanks rdowns, I'm probably gonna need that. Supposedly my company is going to be updating to Win7 and other programs across the board, but I don't know when this will actually happen.

I can firmly confirm that on my work computer on IE7 running Vista I am able to :eek: and :p and :rolleyes:. So I am quite :confused: as to why you are :( instead of :) you know what I mean? :D At this point you must be quite :eek: and :mad: but I don't care :cool: haha. ;)

Honestly I don't know why yours isn't working, although I feel your pain. That happened to me once (i believe on IE7 but I don't remember). It was maybe a year ago, but it only lasted for half a day or a day or something. Hopefully it fixes itself for you.

Good temp fix. But obviously not ideal.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yep, it is frustrating. My office runs everything on the network, so I'm not using a local machine, but simply a WYSE network acces point. We're still on XP (Server 2003 Enterprise) and the IE7 is version 7.0.5730.13.

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

is anyone else finding that the front page, when viewed in mobile edition form, has not updated since the redesign launched?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

is anyone else finding that the front page, when viewed in mobile edition form, has not updated since the redesign launched?

The mobile site has been tweaked to separate the old "Page 2" content from the front page articles, moving them to a separate "Mac" tab. Other minor tweaks are likely to be coming, but the mobile design was already largely similar to the new primary design.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
New top bar looks good but it doesn't match the current theme.

Yea, the top is all rounded n stuff while the rest is still boxy.
the colors don't match either. just lettin you know dude- I am a 3 time world graphic design championship academy award winning box office smash hit acclaimed producer, developer and 1337 h4x0r...

... Huh? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Good mods mostly, ugly site. Really needs a retouch. arn needs to get his ass in gear (no disrespect meant) and switch to ipboard or make this site actually look like it comes from the 2000's.

Icons are really low res and hideous. Text looks ugly. Theme is needed. Yes I'm being harsh. That is also needed.

Just because a gazillion other big forums are using v3 of vb doesn't mean we need to suffer. We need a poll on this. Force change! Change is good.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Good mods mostly, ugly site. Really needs a retouch. arn needs to get his ass in gear (no disrespect meant) and switch to ipboard or make this site actually look like it comes from the 2000's.

Icons are really low res and hideous. Text looks ugly. Theme is needed. Yes I'm being harsh. That is also needed.

Just because a gazillion other big forums are using v3 of vb doesn't mean we need to suffer. We need a poll on this. Force change! Change is good.

Mod note:
I moved your post to this site redesign thread since it was primarily about the site and not about the mods.
/Mod note.

I ask what brings you to MacRumors? Is it the aesthetics of the forum design or the content and interaction with the other members?

If it's not the aesthetics, why do are you coming down so hard on the subject? The site is functional and serves its purpose well. The date and version of software running it really seems irrelevant, IMO.

Sure, a refresh is nice once in a while, but to me, it's nothing to foam at the mouth about. I know it's a part of arn's plans and he has his schedule and obstacles to overcome in order to make it happen.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'll choose content over look and feel any day. Change for change's sake is silly.

Having said that, I'd welcome improvements; for example, getting images into a post is painful. Now, perhaps this is by design, this site is busy enough without burdening it with images, but there are times I could stick in an image to, um, illustrate a point (sorry) but I can't get motivated enough to go through the process.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Mod note:
I moved your post to this site redesign thread since it was primarily about the site and not about the mods.
/Mod note.

I ask what brings you to MacRumors? Is it the aesthetics of the forum design or the content and interaction with the other members?

If it's not the aesthetics, why do are you coming down so hard on the subject? The site is functional and serves its purpose well. The date and version of software running it really seems irrelevant, IMO.

Sure, a refresh is nice once in a while, but to me, it's nothing to foam at the mouth about. I know it's a part of arn's plans and he has his schedule and obstacles to overcome in order to make it happen.

Mostly to read the forums. Anyway, the point is having a cleaner look enhances the experience and is nicer on the eyes.

The mobile site could use a little work too, like advanced options when you post, so I don't have to use the desktop site on my nexus which definitely drinks my battery.

It doesn't help when I'm in the 1% percent because members are too used to the look and don't like change.

But what do I know right? A mere mortal who's opinion will get shot down by everyone.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Never understood this obsession with software looks. The forum is functional and works well enough. A redesign for the sake of a redesign is a dumb idea.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Never understood this obsession with software looks. The forum is functional and works well enough. A redesign for the sake of a redesign is a dumb idea.

I agree to an extent, but then again if we followed this philosophy we'd all be using computers that looked like they ran System 7!

A small redesign would be nice - the site does look very 90s. But then again the content is good. A few icon and colour palette tweaks wouldn't go amiss, however.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The appearance of a forum such as MR is of less interest to me than the content and the interactivity. Yes, there sites using more up to date versions of Vbulletin, with lots of bells and whistles, more upload options etc etc. But I've found them to lack the subject matter that interests me. As long as MR continues to be topical and friendly...I'm happy with the layout.

An upgrade is not simple either...I was a mod on a popular Windows site many years back and they did the whole new Vbulletin upgrade..result? Many people simply left. I'd leave things pretty much as they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.