Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redlob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Is there a way to hide empty folders? In Kodi you can add an entry in the advancedsettings.xml for that.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
No app store app will support DVD decoding as it would not make it passed Apple's QC procedures.
That may be true, but it would be fantastic if it could play unencrypted DVD and Blu-ray rips (ISO or TS folder format). Many people rip their movies and store them on a server for easy access.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I think Kodi plays ISO. MrMC should play most everything Kodi does but may run into problems with navigation of DVD menus due to lack of buttons on remote. I remember having this problem years ago with XBMC and a remote with lots of mapped buttons - was confusing navigating.

I don't know if I have a DVD ISO anymore to test (haven't used a physical disk in years) but I think I did rip some exercise videos for my wife years ago which may still be on NAS. I'll check later and report back.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
The only issue I have had so far is files with .flac audio seem to default to 2.0. That aside its played everything thrown its way.

enzom21

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
I think Kodi plays ISO. MrMC should play most everything Kodi does but may run into problems with navigation of DVD menus due to lack of buttons on remote. I remember having this problem years ago with XBMC and a remote with lots of mapped buttons - was confusing navigating.

I don't know if I have a DVD ISO anymore to test (haven't used a physical disk in years) but I think I did rip some exercise videos for my wife years ago which may still be on NAS. I'll check later and report back.
It doesn't support ISO and it sounds like the dev does not intend to add support for it.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I notice that in Canadian Store, MrMC is currently the #1 Top Paid App and #6 Top Grossing App!

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Pretty disappointing that there is not much hype for MrMC as compared to other similar apps - hopefully some major sites cover its release soon as it is pretty significant

I bought it when it was just released. I was so excited until I played around with it.

the UI and controls feel like from the 90's. OSD during playback cover bottom of the movie with bunch of useless icons (play, pause, stop, context, etc). this UI design was meant for PC with mouse. MrMc UI stuck with 90's in tvOS platform. it is like the difference between apple Map and car built-in map.

touch remote barely works. the developer Davilla prefer the old apple remote and it shows. old remote works great but touch remote is useless. it is jumpy and frustrated to rev/ff where you want it.

one thing positive is that playback is solid and fast.

after checking out Infuse, I submitted a refund request for MrMc. until MrMc redesign its UI from scratch, it won't be popular with casual users in apple ecosystem.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
the UI and controls feel like from the 90's. OSD during playback cover bottom of the movie with bunch of useless icons (play, pause, stop, context, etc). this UI design was meant for PC with mouse. MrMc UI stuck with 90's in tvOS platform. it is like the difference between apple Map and car built-in map.

touch remote barely works. the developer Davilla prefer the old apple remote and it shows. old remote works great but touch remote is useless. it is jumpy and frustrated to rev/ff where you want it.
I don't have a big problem with the UI itself (perhaps because I'm used to XBMC/Kodi), but I fully agree regarding the touch remote. It's behaves unresponsive and clumsy, and it's basically impossible to fast forward/rewind with it at the moment.
Yes, I was surprised. It had no trouble playing some of my losslessly ripped Blu-ray/HD-DVD MKV files, even ones that use the VC-1 codec. Infuse has trouble playing these.

The biggest benefit of MrMC comes when you have set up your library to work with Kodi already. It can read meta-data from .nfo files stored with the video files, and presumably also access shared Kodi SQL libraries (although I haven't tried that yet), which means it can sync up with other Kodi instances you may be using.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
another thing that I like about Infuse is when you set audio passthrough DTS/AC3, it passes DTS to the receiver to decode. then turning the bluetooth headphone, Infuse automatically changes to decode the audio itself. so you can still hear audio fine through the headphone. turning headphone off automatically changes back to passthrough.

On the other hand, turning on bluetooth headphone with passthrough setting on, MrMc would continue to pass DTS signal. you only hear static noice through the headphone. so To use headphone for Movie with DTS or AC3, you have to go to settings menu and turn off passthrough. it is very inconvenient.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I already said I do not like the UI for MrMc but it does work just ok. I created a server connection by mistake. It said create anyway? I mistakenly said Yes. But I can find no way to delete it. It just says path not found. Any ideas on how to delete it?

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I bought it when it was just released. I was so excited until I played around with it.

after checking out Infuse, I submitted a refund request for MrMc. until MrMc redesign its UI from scratch, it won't be popular with casual users in apple ecosystem.

Not quite the 90s. Xbmc was first released in 2002.

I bought infuse years ago on IOS so I got free ATV version. Not impressed with it much considering all the hype. Maybe I'm old school!

Anyways I am thinking now that there is a reason for not having big fanfare release. People who know what it is will appreciate it and use it. Users who require a simpler interface and far less tweaking options will probably prefer infuse.

I hope they will never redesign UI from scratch - there are skins in Kodi which some may be supported (that dont rely on Python) in future MrMC. This app has potential to get a lot better.

I find navigating using old remote better than infuse is with ATV touch remote. Also infuse doesn't work very good with older remotes. I actually hate the new touch remote and use my harmony. I guess my needs are exact opposite of yours so it's good that we have options.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I already said I do not like the UI for MrMc but it does work just ok. I created a server connection by mistake. It said create anyway? I mistakenly said Yes. But I can find no way to delete it. It just says path not found. Any ideas on how to delete it?
I answered my own question. If you navigate to the item and then hold down the select button you get a menu to remove it.
After learning about that I found out how to add folders to the Favorites Menu, which is really helpful. I would like the option to hold the select button down on a video that I have watched and delete it. I can set it as watched so maybe that will be helpful for now. The reason I started playing with it is because it is the interface I am required to use on my Mac (Kodi) to manage my HDHomeRun DVR Recordings (at this time) so getting a little familiar with it. It is funny that the button to select Favorites is on lower left and then it brings up the favorites on the right. Just makes navigation a little slow. It would be nice (and maybe a setting) to simply bring up the Favorites when I start the App instead of having to get to the lower left and then go to the right every time I start it.
So my ratings before were maybe a little harsh now that I am getting more use to. I think a few small changes could really make a big improvement. Maybe that will happen soon.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Not quite the 90s. Xbmc was first released in 2002.

I bought infuse years ago on IOS so I got free ATV version. Not impressed with it much considering all the hype. Maybe I'm old school!

Anyways I am thinking now that there is a reason for not having big fanfare release. People who know what it is will appreciate it and use it. Users who require a simpler interface and far less tweaking options will probably prefer infuse.

I hope they will never redesign UI from scratch - there are skins in Kodi which some may be supported (that dont rely on Python) in future MrMC. This app has potential to get a lot better.

I find navigating using old remote better than infuse is with ATV touch remote. Also infuse doesn't work very good with older remotes. I actually hate the new touch remote and use my harmony. I guess my needs are exact opposite of yours so it's good that we have options.

According to Davilla, all current skins in Kodi use Python. I have been using XBMC/Kodi for a long time. in fact, I have been using it on Nvidia Shield. Since it is on Google TV, I was able to change xml files (favorite.xml, keyboard.xml, etc). but it takes alot time to tweak it to what I like. many time it requires keyboard, which Nvidia shield supports.

on tvOS, MrMc is crippled and limited. it lost its big advantages: highly-customization with xml and add-on with Pyphon. without these two features, it is just like any other media streaming player.

if I want the most powerful media streaming player, I would use Kodi on Nvidia shield or PC. the only reason I want MrMc is because of ATV and tvOS. so without utilizing any tvOS features, MrMc is nothing special. it is not as powerful as Kodi, and it does not have user friendly and simplicity user experience of apple that Infuse has.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
If you are having issues with navigation, apparently the Kodi iOS app works well on the iPhone.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Just got this app a little bit ago. Yeah, the UI isn't the best I've seen and using the ATV4 remote is a real PITA, but it does the one thing I wanted which is let me use my live streams from Playon! That alone is worth the money.

Fortunately it works fine with my Harmony One universal remote and I can get used to the UI though I'll never love it.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Given that MrMC seems beta-like in condition, I'd like to kick the tires first. Any adventurous soul try to compile it from source and side-load it?

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
Just brought MrMC as infuse stutters with all my media however with this player they are all silky smooth.

I'm used to the layout as I've been using kodi on the pc for some time now.

The only film I tested that it struggled with was Prometheus in the dream part at the beginning as its high video bandwidth. Not sure if this is the player or the limitations of the Apple TV 4 though.

Also noticed while not playing any media and checking in system info the cpu usage was quite high at around 70%

Not sure if this is normal or not as on the pc its around 2%.

Otherwise good so far, looking forward to some newer builds to play with.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
After a day of using MrMC, it is growing on me! So many adjustments that I didn't even know existed to tweak things a bit. I've got zoom level down to -10% to get it all to fit on the screen, that made a huge difference in how things look. Still twitchy to use with the ATV Remote and sometimes I have to exit out and back in to get a stream started for no reason I can figure out, but overall excellent.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Just brought MrMC as infuse stutters with all my media however with this player they are all silky smooth.

I'm used to the layout as I've been using kodi on the pc for some time now.

The only film I tested that it struggled with was Prometheus in the dream part at the beginning as its high video bandwidth. Not sure if this is the player or the limitations of the Apple TV 4 though.

Also noticed while not playing any media and checking in system info the cpu usage was quite high at around 70%

Not sure if this is normal or not as on the pc its around 2%.

Otherwise good so far, looking forward to some newer builds to play with.

Infuse streams all of my movies from my NAS (Synology and Qnap) using SMB smoothly. your issue might be specific to your network setup.

colinw123

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2013
No it's not an issue with my network setup, it's a gigabit network and all the media is on a HP microserver.

All my media is 23.976 frames/sec, on my pc using kodi it's set to adjust to the framerate of the media which it does and my tv also supports 24p so everything plays buttery smooth as its meant to be.

Infuse could not play any of my media smooth at all, stuttery and jerky all the time.

So I got a refund on Infuse and tried MrMC and everything is buttery smooth.

Horses for courses I guess, but my priority is for it to be smooth with no stutter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.